Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Final Transcript Review  (Read 6731 times)

heehee

Final Transcript Review
« on: January 09, 2011, 05:11 PM »
Hi,

So if a student happens to get a few Cs in their final grades, will his/her acceptance be revoked?
Also, if the student is unable to pull them up, what should he/she do to explain the situation.

Thanks

Admissions_Daniel

• Administrator
  • Ask Me a Question!
Re: Final Transcript Review
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:04 AM »
Quote from: "heehee"
So if a student happens to get a few Cs in their final grades, will his/her acceptance be revoked?
Also, if the student is unable to pull them up, what should he/she do to explain the situation.
Admission to Johns Hopkins for all applicants is contingent on the successful completion of high school and the review of an enrolling student's final transcripts. There are no set rules to the review of post-matriculation transcript as each and every situation is taken on a case-by-case basis. Every year a handful of students have their admission rescinded for poor grades, disciplinary actions, and/or providing false information in their application.

As what constitutes poor grades, we evaluate for a serious downgrade in performance. Typically this is seen as a number of C and D grades, as well as any failures. Having a mild case of "senioritis," struggling with a rigorous curriculum, or a slight drop in your typically performance (Bs now instead of As) is all understandable. It is when there are a number of seriously poor grades will a reconsideration be necessary.

Students who are concerned about the results of their final high school transcript may submit a letter of explanation prior to July 1st that will be included with their application file and be considered during the review of final transcripts.

JillianT

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:03 AM »
Hello!

I have a question about my final transcript as well. I took AP Calc last year and right now I am enrolled in an on-level Statistics class just to keep math in my schedule since my school no longer offers AP Stat. However, the seconde semester of the Stat class reviews precalc which I already took, so I was thinking of dropping my stat class and instead aide for the math resource teacher, who is also formerly my coach. Would this possible schedule change affect my admission status in any way?

Thanks!

Admissions_Daniel

• Administrator
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:22 AM »
Quote from: JillianT
Would this possible schedule change affect my admission status in any way?
Yes, senior schedule changes may impact the review of one's final high school transcript and may result in the rescinding of one's admission.

As far as senior year schedule changes for admitted Early Decision students it is not something that is recommended by the Admissions Committee. It is important to note that that admission to Johns Hopkins for all admitted applicants is contingent on the successful completion of high school and the review of an enrolling student's final transcripts. This final transcript review is not only a review of a student's continued academic performance in their senior year (grades) but also a review that a student continued to pursue rigorous coursework after admission and did not drop courses. There are no set rules to the review of post-matriculation transcript as each and every situation is taken on a case-by-case basis. Every year though a handful of students have their admission rescinded for poor grades, a decline in the rigor of their schedule, disciplinary actions, and/or providing false information in their application.

This being stated, we do understand that senior year schedule changes are sometimes necessary. We will respect the decision for students to change their senior year schedule for such reasons as scheduling conflicts, the cancellation of a course, or exchanging one course for a similarly rigorous course.  It is the policy of Johns Hopkins University to not comment on a student's course selection throughout high school, and specifically about what courses a student should or should not take. This policy extends to student's requesting advice about senior schedules, and whether to drop or add classes mid-year. We are unable to offer specific advice for individual students. There is no way to predict whether a student's admission will be rescinded as it takes a complete review of their work after their admission.

In the end, if ones make a schedule change, your application must be updated. Any notification of a change to a student’s senior schedule must be sent as an updated transcript by one’s high school guidance counselor. The updated transcript should contain an explanation for the change in the schedule by both the counselor and the student.

HOPKINS4EVER

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 02:55 AM »
Hello,

I am currently taking 5 AP Courses and 3 other courses.  I have been accepted early decision to JHU, but am worried about a C+ I got in AP English Literature first semester.  My other grades have stayed consistent, but I am wondering whether my acceptance can be revoked.  Also, I would like to know if, in my case, it would be a good idea to let the admissions team know my situation.

Thank you!

Admissions_Daniel

• Administrator
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:35 AM »
Quote from: "HOPKINS4EVER"
I am currently taking 5 AP Courses and 3 other courses.  I have been accepted early decision to JHU, but am worried about a C+ I got in AP English Literature first semester.  My other grades have stayed consistent, but I am wondering whether my acceptance can be revoked.  Also, I would like to know if, in my case, it would be a good idea to let the admissions team know my situation.
Please re-read what I have previously posted on this thread:

There are no set rules to the review of post-matriculation transcript as each and every situation is taken on a case-by-case basis.

As what constitutes poor grades, we evaluate for a serious downgrade in performance. Typically this is seen as a number of C and D grades, as well as any failures. Having a mild case of "senioritis," struggling with a rigorous curriculum, or a slight drop in your typically performance (Bs now instead of As) is all understandable. It is when there are a number of seriously poor grades will a reconsideration be necessary.

Students who are concerned about the results of their final high school transcript may submit a letter of explanation prior to July 1st that will be included with their application file and be considered during the review of final transcripts.

This previous response is the most I can say about how final transcript reviews work. They are done on a case-by-case basis, they can not be predicted, they focus on a serious downgrade in multiple courses, and students may submit letters of explanation of poor grades if they choose.

pchan8

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 09:25 PM »
I am a senior in high school who got accepted to JHU under the early decision plan and I cannot wait to begin my Hopkins journey! However, I am concerned with my senior year grades and how they would affect my admission. Throughout high school I have gotten mostly A's and high B's; however, lately I have been getting mostly B's and B-'s. Is there a possibility that my acceptance would be rescinded if my grades remain in the low B range?

Admissions_Daniel

• Administrator
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Quote from: "pchan8"
I am a senior in high school who got accepted to JHU under the early decision plan and I cannot wait to begin my Hopkins journey! However, I am concerned with my senior year grades and how they would affect my admission. Throughout high school I have gotten mostly A's and high B's; however, lately I have been getting mostly B's and B-'s. Is there a possibility that my acceptance would be rescinded if my grades remain in the low B range?
Please read what has already been posted on this thread for a response to your question.

texas94

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Hi, I'm a senior who was admitted under Hopkins' Early Decision Plan. I have played varsity lacrosse for four years and was the captain of the team last year. However, my second semester senior course load is very intensive and I do not feel I can maintain the same standard of academics if I continue to play/captain lacrosse this semester. Would my admissions status be in jeopardy if I decided to not play this season? I would maintain all other leadership positions and extracurriculars.

Admissions_Daniel

• Administrator
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 07:35 AM »
Hi, I'm a senior who was admitted under Hopkins' Early Decision Plan. I have played varsity lacrosse for four years and was the captain of the team last year. However, my second semester senior course load is very intensive and I do not feel I can maintain the same standard of academics if I continue to play/captain lacrosse this semester. Would my admissions status be in jeopardy if I decided to not play this season? I would maintain all other leadership positions and extracurriculars.

As you will read above, one's admissions is contingent on their successful completion of high school. This primarily refers to a successful academic record post-admissions. The only non-academic factors that will be considered in the reviewing of an admitted student's final record is whether there were any disciplinary issues. Reducing one's activity list will not lead to the rescinding of one's admission.

Dangeles

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Hello,
I'm a little nervous because I was admitted ED BME but I have a course change in my schedule. All of my AP's are still there but my senior year I intended to take both Latin I and Latin II in the fall and spring semester respectively as accelerated online courses. I completed the Latin I course with a 100 A and decided not to enroll in the spring course, but I forgot I put Latin II down on my common app.

I've prepared my written statement explaining my decision not to take the course because it was not very useful to my career goals and distracting from my AP Spanish. Now, I know that your hands are tied as far as much how much you can tell me and that my application will be reviewed individually. I'm just looking for some anxiety relief as I really don't want my admission revoked.

So
1) is a change in a non-AP class less severe, especially if I've already completed a year long course in a semester?
and
2) when & how do I need to send to send my written statement?

Thank you

Admissions_Daniel

• Administrator
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 07:00 AM »
1) is a change in a non-AP class less severe, especially if I've already completed a year long course in a semester?
and
2) when & how do I need to send to send my written statement?

As I have stated above, to have one's admission revoked it must be a serious downturn in senior year academic performance and/or rigor. ED admits can make senior year schedules and if the level of rigor they are taking does not drop significantly then there will not be a problem. Obviously, changes to non-AP classes will be looked at as less of a concern than students dropping AP classes.

Once you have changed your senior schedule you should update your application at that time. You should not wait until your final transcript is submitted to notify our office of a change in senior year curriculum.

alexphan

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 03:51 PM »
In my common application, I put in the academics section that I would be taking Government, AP Literature and Comp., AP Biology, Sociology (college course), and Multivariable Differential Calculus (college course). If I were to drop/not take Multivariable Calculus, would I be in danger of being rescinded?

Admissions_Daniel

• Administrator
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 06:15 AM »
In my common application, I put in the academics section that I would be taking Government, AP Literature and Comp., AP Biology, Sociology (college course), and Multivariable Differential Calculus (college course). If I were to drop/not take Multivariable Calculus, would I be in danger of being rescinded?

As stated previously here, senior year schedule changes for admitted students it is not something that is recommended by the Admissions Committee. It is important to note that that admission to Johns Hopkins for all admitted applicants is contingent on the successful completion of high school and the review of an enrolling student's final transcripts. This final transcript review is not only a review of a student's continued academic performance in their senior year (grades) but also a review that a student continued to pursue rigorous coursework after admission and did not drop courses. There are no set rules to the review of post-matriculation transcript as each and every situation is taken on a case-by-case basis. Every year though a handful of students have their admission rescinded for poor grades, a decline in the rigor of their schedule, disciplinary actions, and/or providing false information in their application.

This being stated, we do understand that senior year schedule changes are sometimes necessary. We will respect the decision for students to change their senior year schedule for such reasons as scheduling conflicts, the cancellation of a course, or exchanging one course for a similarly rigorous course.  It is the policy of Johns Hopkins University to not comment on a student's course selection throughout high school, and specifically about what courses a student should or should not take. This policy extends to student's requesting advice about senior schedules, and whether to drop or add classes mid-year. We are unable to offer specific advice for individual students. There is no way to predict whether a student's admission will be rescinded as it takes a complete review of their work after their admission.

In the end, if ones make a schedule change, your application must be updated. Any notification of a change to a student’s senior schedule must be sent as an updated transcript by one’s high school guidance counselor. The updated transcript should contain an explanation for the change in the schedule by both the counselor and the student.

gas

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 01:08 PM »
Hi ! Honestly , a huge "thank you" for all these info u give to us.
I want to make u a question and please give me an answer.
My son is accepted at Hopkins with a huge need based scholarship.I'm afraid thathis final scores will be allmost at 35 (he's going to IB 2).There is any posibility to have any trouble  (NOT to be accepted or any problems with the scholarship that the Hopkins offer to him) with this grade ?
Thank you for your answer , thank u from my heart.

Admissions_Daniel

• Administrator
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 05:02 PM »
My son is accepted at Hopkins with a huge need based scholarship.I'm afraid thathis final scores will be allmost at 35 (he's going to IB 2).There is any posibility to have any trouble  (NOT to be accepted or any problems with the scholarship that the Hopkins offer to him) with this grade ?

As stated previously, all admission is contingent on a student's successful completion of their high school academic career and maintaining a level of academic performance similar to the standards they were admitted with. There is no way to predict in advance of the review of a student's final academic record whether there is a chance their admission could be rescinded.

Superman7129

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 10:22 PM »
Hi, i have been accepted to JHU, i was wondering what is looked at when considering to rescind a student? When you see my final transcripts can only my final grades be seen or can my individual quarter grades be seen? So if i "metaphorically speaking" received on my last quarter all D's and C's but my final grade was still a A's,B's or one C out of the 16 classes( Mind you all of the classes have been AP, and high level Dual Enrollment courses) i've taken in senior year do you believe i could possibly have my admissions rescinded. Thank you in advance for your time. 

Admissions_Daniel

• Administrator
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 11:06 AM »
Hi, i have been accepted to JHU, i was wondering what is looked at when considering to rescind a student? When you see my final transcripts can only my final grades be seen or can my individual quarter grades be seen?

That is a question you must ask your guidance counselor. We review all information provided on a student's final transcript. Every school has a different reporting practice so you need to check with your counselor and what will be displayed on your transcript.

We do not comment on the chances of a student's admission being rescinded as it is based on a comprehensive review of the individual student's record.