Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Waitlist Discussion Thread (2013)  (Read 7496 times)

JHU_Admin

• Administrator
Waitlist Discussion Thread (2013)
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Please see below for a list of frequently asked questions and answers about how the Johns Hopkins wait list works. If you have additional questions, please feel free to post them below or contact our office at gotojhu@jhu.edu or (410) 516-8171.

How does the wait list work?

Our enrollment target is 1,300 new freshmen. Admitted students have until May 1st to accept their spot.  If we have remaining seats available in the class, we will go to our wait list to admit additional students where we have room.

I still really want to go to Hopkins. What should I do if I want to remain on the wait list?
Instructions on how to remain on the wait list are found on your decision release site at mydecision.jhu.edu. All you need to do is complete the Wait List Reply Form found on that site and it indicates to us that you would like to remain (or be removed from) the Johns Hopkins wait list.

Should I do anything else besides selecting to remain on the wait list? I heard we can update our applications. Is that true, and what kind of updates can we submit?
You may certainly send updates that you would like added to your application. Such information can assist the Admissions committee if we do review wait list candidates for admission. We suggest the following if updating your application:
-- A Letter of Interest: A one page letter to the Admissions Committee that states why you continue to be interested in Hopkins, why you feel it is the right school for you, and why you should be admitted from the wait list.
-- Updated resume: Let us know what you have gotten involved with during your senior year. This should include updated information not in your original application.
-- Updated transcript: Your most recent grades, even beyond the mid-year report, can be helpful. Ask your guidance counselor to submit them if possible. In addition, a final transcript when it becomes available is requested. (If you are admitted from the wait list, a final transcript will be required.)

Please DO NOT send the following:
(1) additional writing samples
(2) supplemental materials such as CDs, slides, portfolios, etc.
(3)  additional letters of recommendation
(4) research or term papers.
Just stick to the list above.

You are not required to submit any additional materials, only to respond online using the personalized link in your e-mail. Also, if you choose to submit updates to your file, it is important that you make sure that they will contribute in a substantive way or provide new information. All updates should be sent to your regional admissions representative. You can find contact information for your admissions counselor here: http://apply.jhu.edu/contact/staff.html. Include your full name, birth date, school name, and a note that the materials are to be used as a wait list update on any materials you send.

Why was I wait-listed? Was this just a way to break the bad news more gently?
Admissions decisions are comprehensive decisions that take into account many factors included in each individual application within the context of the overall applicant pool. In every application we are searching for a fit with the university based on the information in the applicant files. Due to the competitive nature of highly selective admissions, there are always more talented students in our pool than we are able to admit. Any student on the wait list who chooses to remain on the wait list will have a chance for admission if spaces in the class become available.

How big is this year's wait list? Is the wait list ranked?

We will not know the size of this year's wait list until we receive all wait list reply responses back.  The wait list is not ranked. We conduct a holistic review of all wait-listed applicants and the wait list if spots become available in the class.

What are my chances of being admitted from the wait list?
It is impossible at this time to predict any individual's chances of being admitted from the wait list. Admission will depend on how many spots become available, how many students decide to remain on the wait list, and a series of other enrollment factors.

When will I hear if I've been accepted off the wait list? The other schools I was admitted to require a deposit by May 1--should I wait until I hear from Hopkins?
Our decision of whether we will admit students off the wait list will not be made prior to May 1. We strongly recommend that you submit your deposit to a school where you have been accepted. If you are later admitted to Hopkins from the wait list and choose to attend, you will withdraw your enrollment from the other school and forfeit the previous deposit.

I want to come see the campus in April. Can I visit, and what kind of visit programs can I participate in?
You are welcome to visit Hopkins in the month of April. Our offices are open Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Tours are offered on most weekdays at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., and information sessions are available at 10:00am and 1:00pm. There are some exceptions, so check out the visit section on our Web site: http://apply.jhu.edu/visit/guidedtours.html. We regret that we are unable to accommodate any requests for overnights and/or day visits from wait-listed students. Additionally, our Open House programs in April are for admitted students only.

During my visit, can I get an interview or meet with an Admissions counselor one-on-one?

Unfortunately, no. We are unable to grant interview or meeting requests for wait-listed students. Instead, we ask that you put any information or updates in a written letter which will be added to your application file. If you do have a specific question, you may e-mail your regional counselor: http://apply.jhu.edu/contact/staff.html.

If I am accepted off the wait list and I applied for financial aid, will I receive any financial assistance? 
If you completed your financial aid application by the deadline and are admitted off of the wait list, you will receive financial aid information with your decision.

If I am accepted from the wait list, am I bound to enroll at Johns Hopkins?
No. If we offer places in the class to students on the wait list, those students will have the chance to select whether they want to enroll at Hopkins or stick with the other university that they had previously selected. We provide students with a two-week deadline for responding to our offer of admission from the wait list. Choosing to remain on the wait list is not a commitment to enroll at Hopkins if admitted.

I hope this information helps. If you have further questions, please post them here or contact our office.

carolineb333

Re: Waitlist Discussion Thread (2013)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 12:32 PM »
If you were to be admitted off the waitlist, when is the earliest and latest that you would hear from Hopkins admissions?

Admissions_Ardi

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:43 AM »
Our decision as to whether we will admit students off the wait list takes a bit of time as we process the enrollment forms received around the May 1st response deadline. It can take our office up until the middle of June to make such decisions.

The decision as to whether we will admit students off the wait list will not be made prior to May 1 and it is more likely we will make that determination closer to June 1. We strongly recommend that you submit your deposit to a school where you have been accepted. If you are later admitted to Hopkins from the wait list and choose to attend, you will withdraw your enrollment from the other school and forfeit the previous deposit.

11oclock

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Will wait-listed applicants know if they have been admitted this week? Or does it seem like the class of 2017 is full?

Thank you