Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Best of...Buildings on Campus  (Read 3762 times)

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
Best of...Buildings on Campus
« on: November 21, 2010, 02:34 PM »
With fall almost coming to an end, the campus, without a doubt, is beautiful with all the fall foliage. It definitely makes you stop and revel in the beauty and marvel at all the buildings. I would say that my favorite building on campus is Gilman. It's just absolutely stunning on the outside and the inside. I love everything about it - the marble floors, the hut, the classrooms, and the cafe.

So which building do you think is the best on campus?
JHU_Allysa
International Studies|Global Environmental Change and Sustainability

Visit my blog

And even better, ask me a question!

JHU_Keith

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 02:40 PM »
I'm really a fan of Levering. Organic, fair trade coffee and fireplaces in the main room, the beautiful Glass Pavilion connected to the right, a big quiet study room in the back, and a delicious food court in the basement. I spend a good amount of my day in Levering!
Keith S.
Class of 2011
Global Environmental Change and Sustainability
Twitter: JHU_Keith

JHU_Greco

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 02:41 PM »
I agree with Allysa. Gilman is by far the best building on campus. I really wish they renovate every building on campus.. haha especially Maryland Hall which is about to fall apart in any minute...jk
but seriously, Gilman is totally awesome. I wish i have classes there next semester!!!!
Greco Song
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
President - JHU Vocal Chords
Lab Assistant - Gerecht Lab
Twitter: JHU_Greco

Ask me stuff!
http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2013/meet-jhu_greco-fullerton-ca/

JHU_Greco

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 02:43 PM »
Quote from: "JHU_Keith"
I'm really a fan of Levering. Organic, fair trade coffee and fireplaces in the main room, the beautiful Glass Pavilion connected to the right, a big quiet study room in the back, and a delicious food court in the basement. I spend a good amount of my day in Levering!
ok now I'm gonna change my answer to levering as well. Keith is right; although it's way smaller than Gilman, it has everything I need. My a cappella group often practice in one of the rooms in that building and the fireplace is the most cozy spot on campus.
Greco Song
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
President - JHU Vocal Chords
Lab Assistant - Gerecht Lab
Twitter: JHU_Greco

Ask me stuff!
http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2013/meet-jhu_greco-fullerton-ca/

JHU_KateT

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:51 PM »
Hmmm I'm going to have to go with Levering. I love eating in Levering in the basement and hanging out in the cafe. Gilman is absolutely gorgeous though. The HUT is so cool.
JHU_Kate T.
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
French Cultural Studies
Read all about my life
Ask me a question

"Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed."

JHU_Sydney

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 03:07 PM »
I'm going to have to say Shriver. When you look at it from the front, it just looks monumental. And the huge auditorium is nice; I just performed there with the Eclectics Dance Group!
JHU_Sydney :)
Class of 2014
Biomedical Engineering major
Applied Mathematics & Statistics Major

Like to procrastinate? Read my blog! http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/sydney/

And then ask me some questionsssss. http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2014/meet-jhu_sydney-elm-grove-wi/

JHU_Sarah

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 03:17 PM »
I love Gilman.  The huge glass atrium, the hut, and the overall scenic look of the building are all fantastic, but I also love the classrooms and the cafe.  The room where I have Spanish this semester doesn't feel like a typical classroom - it has a really long wooden table instead of desks, and sitting there makes me feel like I'm part of some scholarly discussion instead of just sitting in a class.  I also love the cafe there because they have soooo many different kinds of tea.  My goal is to try all the flavors by the end of the year. :)  So far the best one is Cinnamon Spice.
Sarah, '13
Molecular & Cellular Biology, Spanish
Check out my blog!
and ask me questions here!

JHU_Lauren

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 03:29 PM »
Gilman is definitely my home at Homewood - I work there {at the Writing Center}, all of my departments' offices are there because it's the Humanities hub on campus, and 4 out of 5 of my classes take place there. I do my best work in the Hut and I've even done two film projects in/around Gilman this semester. I wrote a blog about it while it was still under construction {read it here!} that I think describes perfectly how I feel about it... you just can't beat its ability to make you feel capable and scholarly.

But for funsies, I also really like Maryland Hall. I'm not a big fan of the inside of the building, but outside has such character - I love sitting on the brick stairs to read when the weather gets nicer, I love the tall windows and wrought iron details, and I love how the trees creep up and frame the stairs/windows like a picture. It's really pretty and, for some reason, just being around the building makes me happy.
lauren *
HOPKINS, CLASS OF 2011
http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/lauren

"Leave something good in every day."

JHU_Tess

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 03:54 PM »
I am always struck with the beauty of Mason Hall. This is where all of you prospective students will go when you visit campus, because it houses the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. For some reason, I have a particular fixation with the doors of this building - they're giant and glass - absoluetly breathtaking!
JHU_Tess
Class of 2014
History Major

Check out my blog here!
And find my forum here!

"If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."
- Mark Twain

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 04:49 PM »
My favorite building is definitely Gilman- it's gorgeous from the inside and looks beautiful right now with all the leaves having fallen around campus. I have my Expository Writing class in there and I love the atrium and the hut!
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Becca

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Gilman, as almost everyone has said, is our newly renovated humanities building and the architecture and interior of the building are both equally amazing. (my friends and I agree that the Hutzler Reading Room has this Harry Potter-esque charm to it!)

I also agree with Tess though-- Mason Hall, our relatively new admissions building, is located on a peaceful side of campus. It overlooks Decker Quad and is surrounded by all the beautiful foliage near Wyman Park Dr. I love walking to Hampden and passing by Mason en route during this time of year-- it's a pleasant walk, and it doesn't feel as "urban" around there.

Becca K.
Class of 2013
Writing Seminars, History of Art
Read my blog!

JHU_Jessica

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 06:13 PM »
I'm going to be a little creative with this one mainly because a campus wasn't specified within the question, so any Hopkins campus where students take classes should be up for grabs.

I spend over half of my daytime in the main building (the N. Wolfe building) at the School of Public Health in classes and at work. And I love it. Sure, Gilman is inspiring. But as a public health major the N. Wolfe Building probably is as equally inspiring as Gilman is for a humanities student.

There's just something magical about being surrounded by so much diversity, inspirational quotes, photos from around the world, descriptions of public health accomplishments, Michael Bloomberg's portrait, etc. On top of this, similarly to Gilman, I work in a LEED gold certified office for its environmental sustainable qualities, which is also inspirational.

Great question!
Jessica K.
Public Health '11

Read my blog
or ask me a question!
"The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities
of the universe about us, the less taste we shall have for destruction."

- Rachel Carson (a Hopkins alum!)

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 06:22 PM »
I love Maryland. It's absolutely beautiful on the outside, and the inside has basically every sort of classroom you'd want. We've had our mock trial meetings there this year, and there's always a lot of flexibility. A few weeks ago we found a beautiful conference room right when we needed it (Room of Requirement, anyone?).  They're doing some construction on the inside right now, so hopefully the water fountain will work again soon!
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Dominique

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 06:44 PM »
I love Mason Hall and I always take a picture of the outside when I go there for AR (admissions rep) or SAAB stuff. :) Gilman is awesome as well and there's this one table in the back of the hut that is circular that is my absolute favorite spot in there! And random but I love sneaking into Hodson in the big lecture hall to study alone.:P
JHU_Dominique
c/o 2012 , Public Health Studies Major; Africana Studies Minor

Ask me a question! http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2012/meet-jhu_dominique-baltimore-md/

Read my bloggity-blog: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/dominique/

JHU_Nick

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 07:21 PM »
I agree with Tess and Dominique...Mason is a beautiful building.  The couches in the main area? So amazing.
Nick G.
Class of 2014
Computer Science/Economics
El Blogo

"If you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted, in one moment
Would you capture it? Or just let it slip?"
-Eminem

JHU_Brian

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 07:46 PM »
Like many others, I really enjoy the new Gilman Hall. It manages to be both comfortable and academic, modern and traditional.

But since so many others have already said Gilman, I have to offer some love for a bit of an underdog in the campus architecture: Garland Hall. This building is the old home of the Admissions Office, and was where I had my interview and met for my information session when I first visited the campus as a prospective student. Many chastise its architectural styling, but I don't think it's that bad. It's where all the high-level University administration have their offices, so it can't be too terrible. There's a cool high-res panoramic of it here. The thing I really like about it is the comfortable central lobby. There are couches, tables, etc. and I often will go there to get some work done. It's in a great central location between where I work (Mason Hall) and where most of my classes are (Ames Hall). Not to mention so many essential university student services are there: the Registrar, Student Financial Services, Student Employment, Disability Services, Counseling, KSAS Advising, IT, and others.
JHU_Brian
WSE '12
Environmental Engineering
Follow me on twitter or check out my forum thread.

"A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd

JHU_Joe

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Maybe its cause I'm there all the time, but Mason Hall is definitely my favorite building on campus. Ever since I saw the building during the admitted student open house I came almost two years ago, I loved the architecture. It's not newly renovated like Gilman, but it was built in 2006 as the visitor center, and since Mason Hall may be the only building prospective students see when the visit campus, they wanted to make it impressive.
- Joe N.
Class of 2013
Neuroscience and Psychology Double Major
Ask Me a Question or Follow Me on Twitter!

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.Albert Einstein

JHU_Tyler

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 11:28 PM »
While this probably isn't my favorite building, I feel like the NASA STScl building on campus deserves a shout-out. It is a little bit out of the way from the main quads, but this building has some really cool Hubble Telescope displays and an awesome restaurant - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope.
Anyway, being as humanities as I am, I am never afforded the exec., privileged tour of the joint - but it is a VERY interesting building.
Tyler D.  '13

Please read my blog here.

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." -Gandhi

JHU_LaurenB

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 02:10 PM »
My fave is Gilman. It opened while I was abroad and it was such a nice surprise to come back to. Plus I have Celiac and the coffee shop there has amazing Gluten Free treats, which earns major points in my book.
Lauren Brown
Class of 2012
Public Health Studies & Economics

Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Peter

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 10:36 PM »
I personally like Hackerman Hall a lot. But, maybe that's because of the amazing robotorium (and yes, thats the actual name of the room!)
Peter Costa
Class of 2012 - Mechanical Engineering
Visit my blog!

"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward." - Kurt Vonnegut

JHU_Ian

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
Re: Best of...Buildings on Campus
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 06:58 PM »
I really like the marble spiral staircases in Clark Hall, they are something you do not find anywhere else on campus. But, in terms of buildings I regularly go to, it would definitely have to be Gilman.
JHU_Ian
Materials Science and Engineering, 2015

"More and more, it feels like I'm doing a really bad impersonation of myself " -C. Palahniuk

Be sure to check out my blog!

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
Re: Best of...Buildings on Campus
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 09:40 AM »
My favorite building is Charles Commons, because it's where I get to sleep! :)
Commons is also great because it's like a little city in one building. Nolan's is on the fourth floor, Barnes & Noble is on the first floor, there's a gym, ping-pong, foosball, pool and big screen TVs hooked up to FIFA...Seriously, it's heaven on Earth...Plus, the Winter Library is an awesome place to study, as is my room.
Noah Guiberson
Molecular & Cellular Biology/Neuroscience
Class of 2014
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JHU_Noah
Ask me a question: http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2014/meet-jhu_noah/