Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Best of...Hopkins Traditions  (Read 6913 times)

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
Best of...Hopkins Traditions
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:22 PM »
With many spring events and traditions coming up, what's your favorite Hopkins tradition? I would have to say that my favorite tradition is a once-in-a-lifetime tradition: Convocation. I absolutely loved it and thought it was so amazing. It's this event that takes place during Pre-O week where the new freshman class attends this beautiful ceremony in which the President and professors attend as well.
JHU_Allysa
International Studies|Global Environmental Change and Sustainability

Visit my blog

And even better, ask me a question!

JHU_Becca

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:26 PM »
The Lighting of the Quads and Spring Homecoming are my two favorites.

The Lighting of the Quads is a small ceremony when President Daniels turns on the "switch" that illuminates the beautiful holiday lights wrapped around lampposts in the quads. It really gets the holiday spirit going among the student body!

And Spring Homecoming is always so much fun-- there's almost always amazing weather, a great lacrosse game, young alumnae who have returned to campus, and so much school spirit. I love that our homecoming is in the spring rather than the fall!
Becca K.
Class of 2013
Writing Seminars, History of Art
Read my blog!

JHU_Nick

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:26 PM »
I thought Sexcapades was pretty funny, and it kept my attention which is usually pretty hard to do.  Its a short film shown during Orientation week that basically parodies regular sex ed videos, very funny!
Nick G.
Class of 2014
Computer Science/Economics
El Blogo

"If you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted, in one moment
Would you capture it? Or just let it slip?"
-Eminem

JHU_Sydney

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I'd have to go with Convocation as well. It was when I truly felt a part of JHU.
JHU_Sydney :)
Class of 2014
Biomedical Engineering major
Applied Mathematics & Statistics Major

Like to procrastinate? Read my blog! http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/sydney/

And then ask me some questionsssss. http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2014/meet-jhu_sydney-elm-grove-wi/

JHU_Joe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:46 PM »
I agree with Sydney and Allysa, Convocation was one of my favorite Orientation events, especially because President Daniels told us all about the unique members of my class (for example, we have an international Irish Step Dancing champion). And this year when I was at Convocation for the freshmen President Daniels gave a shout-out to the Orientation Executive Staff and even shared an inside joke with us.
- Joe N.
Class of 2013
Neuroscience and Psychology Double Major
Ask Me a Question or Follow Me on Twitter!

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.Albert Einstein

JHU_KateT

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:13 PM »
I really liked the High Table Event. Kinda like at Hogwarts, the freshman got together and got to eat a really nice meal with a bunch of professors. I had really interesting conversation with one professor; he has been to Antarctica 9 times. It was really cool :)
JHU_Kate T.
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
French Cultural Studies
Read all about my life
Ask me a question

"Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed."

JHU_Clint

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:23 PM »
I love whenever there is the Sterling Silver Brunch at the FFC... it's only for freshman, but they have great food and pastries for everyone!

JHU_Jessica

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:52 PM »
I really like the Lighting of the Quad in December. It's nice to take a break from the December finals stress to get into the holiday spirit. President Daniels is part of the ceremony and turns on the Christmas lights that are strung throughout the campus, a cappella groups sing, and free donuts and hot chocolate are given out. What is there not to like?
Jessica K.
Public Health '11

Read my blog
or ask me a question!
"The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities
of the universe about us, the less taste we shall have for destruction."

- Rachel Carson (a Hopkins alum!)

JHU_Keith

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 12:32 AM »
I have to agree with Kate about High Table. Since it is a new tradition, I didn't get to experience it as a Freshman, but I was able to go this year with my Freshman residents and it was really amazing. The food was delicious and the professors were extremely interesting to talk to.
Keith S.
Class of 2011
Global Environmental Change and Sustainability
Twitter: JHU_Keith

JHU_Tess

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 07:23 AM »
I think it's really cool that we have our Homecoming in the spring. It gives you something to look forward to all year, and is different from a lot of other schools!
JHU_Tess
Class of 2014
History Major

Check out my blog here!
And find my forum here!

"If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."
- Mark Twain

JHU_Sarah

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 09:03 AM »
I agree with Tess, homecoming is probably my favorite!  Spring Fair is a close second.  Check out the homecoming pictures on our Hopkins Interactive Flickr account!
Sarah, '13
Molecular & Cellular Biology, Spanish
Check out my blog!
and ask me questions here!

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 01:54 PM »
I loved convocation! It was really the moment when I realized that I was going to begin college, especially since orientation was so much fun. Convocation made me excited to begin the school year!
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Dominique

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 02:24 PM »
why don't i remember convocation? hmmm...

well i'd have to say i like spring fair..food food food!
JHU_Dominique
c/o 2012 , Public Health Studies Major; Africana Studies Minor

Ask me a question! http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2012/meet-jhu_dominique-baltimore-md/

Read my bloggity-blog: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/dominique/

JHU_Saznin

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 09:51 PM »
I love Spring Fair! The campus is completely transformed into a fairground for one weekend in April. Students and Baltimore residents are treated to awesome food, concerts, carnival rides, vendors, you name it. It's always great to see everyone come out and enjoy the gorgeous weather before finals week.
JHU_Saznin
Public Health, Class of 2012
Follow me on Twitter!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Mandy

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 09:29 AM »
I love the event during orientation when the entire class forms the "JHU '11" (or whatever else their graduation year is).  They set up little ropes as guides for where to stand and then they take pictures from the Gilman belltower -- I love it!

I also have to second Saznin with a vote for Spring Fair!
mandy
jhu class of 2011
public health studies
read my blog!

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 12:14 PM »
I really liked First Night, and I'm a huge fan of Spring Fair (deep fried Oreos and Blooming Onions!)
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 06:19 PM »
One of my favorite traditions takes place during home Lacrosse games. At some point in each game, scores from other games around the country are read out over the loudspeaker. Whenever Duke, Princeton or Maryland are losing, the entire stadium erupts in cheers and applause. Whenever those teams are winning, the entire stadium boos. Depending on our mood, the Nest will occasionally cheer/boo the impending defeat/victory of other teams we might transiently disdain such as Cornell, Harvard or Virginia. :)
Noah Guiberson
Molecular & Cellular Biology/Neuroscience
Class of 2014
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JHU_Noah
Ask me a question: http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2014/meet-jhu_noah/

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 08:00 PM »
I also LOVE Sterling Brunch. It's this delicious brunch at the FFC that only happens like 3 times a year. Last one was near Valentine's Day, so it was Valentine themed and there was even a chocolate fountain! Our last one is this Sunday - I'm definitely going!!
JHU_Allysa
International Studies|Global Environmental Change and Sustainability

Visit my blog

And even better, ask me a question!

JHU_Peter

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 05:17 PM »
I'm biased, but I love DSAGA's Awareness Days. It's a ton of LGBT-awareness oriented events, and it includes trips to clubs, cookouts, and guest speakers. It's really motivational, and every year it makes me more politically active!
Peter Costa
Class of 2012 - Mechanical Engineering
Visit my blog!

"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward." - Kurt Vonnegut

JHU_Dominique

• Hopkins Student
Re: Best of...Hopkins Traditions
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Today is Johns Hopkins' birthday! Feb 22, 1876! There is free cake and there are t shirts in the Glass Pav now till 2pm :) And Hopkins trivia and facts. Coolll
JHU_Dominique
c/o 2012 , Public Health Studies Major; Africana Studies Minor

Ask me a question! http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2012/meet-jhu_dominique-baltimore-md/

Read my bloggity-blog: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/dominique/

JHU_LaurenB

• Hopkins Student
Re: Best of...Hopkins Traditions
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59 PM »
Lighting of the Quad! So holiday-festive and amazing every year!
Lauren Brown
Class of 2012
Public Health Studies & Economics

Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!