Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Greco - Fullerton, CA  (Read 9463 times)

JHU_Greco

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Greco - Fullerton, CA
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:31 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Greco and I'm a current JHU junior studying Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. It's really hard when someone asks me where I'm from, because I was all over places before I came to Hopkins. Well I was born in South Korea and was raised there for about 10 years, and then I moved to Canada and lived there for a while, moved back to Korea, and then to California where I graduated high school.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Why Hopkins?

I got accepted to several schools in California and Hopkins was the only east coast school i got accepted to. I guess I could have just stayed in California and live close to my parents, but then I thought that would defeat the whole purpose of going to college: learning how to be independent, having new experiences, and meet people from all over the country! I knew Hopkins had a very high brand value, so i thought I would be able to get better opportunities after I graduate. And I was really interested in doing research as an undergrad, so Hopkins was pretty much a natural choice for me. I also liked the fact that it's not a huge school where I will be basically no existence...

--------------------------------------------------------------
My Classes

Fall 2012
*Senior Lab
*Modeling Dynamic/Control
*Biomaterials I
*Principles of Marketing

Spring 2012
*Probability and Statistics
*Kinetic Processes
*Emerging Strategies and Applications in Biomedical Research
*Culture of the Engineering Profession
*Chemical & Biomolecular Separation

Fall 2011
*Applied Physical Chemistry
*Transport Phenomena II
*Cellular Engineering
*Cell & Tissue Engineering Lab
*Bioengineering in Regenerative Medicine

Spring 2010
*Cell Biology
*Cell Biology Lab
*Transport Phenomena I
*Application of Molecular Evolution to Biotechnology

Fall 2010
*Thermodynamics for Chemical Engineers
*Biochemistry
*Biochemistry Lab
*Modeling and Statistical Analysis of Data for Chemical Engineers
*The Artist in the Museum: Making Books

Summer 2010
*Organic Chemistry I
*Research

Spring 2010
*Calculus 3
*Differential Equation
*Process Analysis for Chemical Engineers
*Fiction/Poetry Writing II

Fall 2009
*Physics II
*Physics II Lab
*Introduction to Digital Photography I
*Fiction/Poetry Writing I
*Freshman Seminar: Tuberculosis
*Introduction to Physiological Psychology

AP Credits
*AP Calculus AB
*AP Calculus BC
*AP Biology
*AP Chemistry
*AP Physics C Mechanics

-----------------------------------------------------------
My Extracurriculars

JHU Vocal Chords
Vocal Chords is an on-campus co-ed a cappella group. We sing a wide variety of songs including Pop, modern/classic rock, R&B, Jazz, and even Electronic. I love being part of this group because everyone is so talented both artistically and academically. We take our work very seriously, and it's a great way to relieve stress. It really helped me adjust to the college environment when I was a freshman. Check out my blog post about it
here.

Research
I'm currently working in a lab over at the medical campus. It's a orthopaedics lab that basically works with Mesenchymal Stem Cells to make bone materials. It's a very good environment where I get to have close relationship with the PI and learn a lot of innovating techniques in tissue engineering. Read my blog post about it here and here.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dorm Life

Currently I'm living in Charles Commons, the newest dorm. I was really lucky to get a good lottery number last year. I really like how Nolan's is inside the building, and the campus is right across the street. It's also close to Charles village, which is another plus. It's a big upgrade for me because I lived in AMR I last year which had no AC and barely had heating during the winter. It's nice to have my own thermostat and also have my own bathroom. I live with 3 other people and we share a living room and a kitchen. I only cook instant meals, but it's nice to have a kitchen. It also comes with a full-size refrigerator! Last summer, I lived in Bradford for 2 months. Check out my cribs post for AMR I here and Bradford here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
That's it, guys. If you have any questions, post it here and I'll answer them as soon as I can! Also, follow me on twitter and check out my freshman blog entries here!
Greco Song
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
President - JHU Vocal Chords
Lab Assistant - Gerecht Lab
Twitter: JHU_Greco

Ask me stuff!
http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2013/meet-jhu_greco-fullerton-ca/

allen516

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Hey Greco (cool name)!

I was hoping you can talk a bit more about the acapella group you are part of. How hard was the audition process? Are there a lot of groups to choose from? How good of a singer do you have to be? I like to sing, and I am in my school's chorus. I think I want to audition for an acapella group in college but I worry that you have to be super talented to be selected.

I assume that if you sing acapella you must like Glee, right? I love it.

JHU_Greco

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Hey allen516! haha yea thanks I do have a cool name :P

Ehh yes there are about 8-9 a cappella groups here that you can choose from and they all vary in terms of how good they are. I should say they are all equally talented groups, but that's not really true... but I mean, we are not like professional a cappella groups so I don't think you have to be super talented although it would be very nice if you are super talented haha don't worry about it too much. I don't know about other groups, but us Vocal Chords try to make audition process as comfortable and friendly as possible for the auditioners. When I auditioned, we started with some warm-ups. you do have to prepare a short solo piece and this is true for all the a cappella auditions. I sang Rehab by Amy Winehouse :) ehh and if you get call back then you prepare another solo and they also see how well you can sight-read music pieces = you get to sing with the whole group :) !
So yea. Personally, I prefer people with strong solos, but I mean, a cappella is all about harmony so when you are not doing the solo, you should be able to blend in your voice with the rest of the group.

I LOVE GLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
omg i can't wait till Aprilll!!

Check out some of these links for more info:

JHU Student Art Groups - http://web.jhu.edu/studentlife/homewood_ar....html#acappella

Vocal Chords! - http://www.jhu.edu/~vchords/
Greco Song

Ask me stuff!
http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2013/meet-jhu_greco-fullerton-ca/

bluejay527

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 12:26 AM »
Hi Greco,

Seeing that you've taken Physics II first semester of freshmen year, was AP Physics a strong enough foundation for you to succeed in Physics II? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Physics or the Physical Sciences, but it's a premedical requirement, so it's basically obligatory.
Would you recommend retaking Physics I or move directly into Physics II?

JHU_Greco

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 11:45 AM »
Hey, bluejay527

Yes, I feel like AP Physics C Mechanics helped me a lot but this is also because my AP physics in high school was taught way harder than it was supposed to be.
There were a lot of freshman in my Physics II class last semester and I'm sure you'll be fine if you study. Something to keep in mind is that we have two physics 2 classes, Physics II for physical sciences majors and Physics II for biological sciences majors. If you are not an engineer and not really into physics, then you might wanna consider taking the latter, which is usually easier. But the Physics II for biological sciences majors is only offered during spring semester, which means you'll have to wait a semester to take it.

Hope this helps!
Greco Song

Ask me stuff!

csicat93

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 10:04 PM »
Hi!

I was just wondering how you ended up doing your research. Is the process for finding research opportunities difficult/complicated? How did you find the lab and what attracted you to it?

Thanks for your time! (:

JHU_Greco

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Hi, csicat93.

Basically, you check out the websites of the labs you are interested in and keep emailing the professors until you find a place that has a space for you! It's really not that difficult. Just to let you know, yes, Hopkins have a tremendous research opportunities but that doesn't mean the opportunities are just gonna come to you. You have to be really active and sometimes, you just might get lucky. Check out the blog entry i wrote a year ago about the research application process: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/2013/2010/03/research-research-research/
Greco Song

Ask me stuff!

saallyhwaang

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 06:36 AM »
Hi Greco,
I'm from Fullerton as well and I'm just wondering, did you by chance go to Troy or Sunny Hills H. S.?
If so, how would you compare the academic competitiveness here to the competitiveness at JHU?

Sally Hwang

JHU_Greco

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 03:23 AM »
Hi saallyhwaang,

No, I did not attend either school.

I think a lot of people mistaken Hopkins students' high motivation to competitiveness. I think a lot of people are highly motivated, but that does not necessarily mean they are trying to do "better" than other people. And I love being around people who are as motivated as I am. Sure, there are some cut-throat people here and there, but there are cut-throat people EVERYWHERE. I saw a bunch even in my high school. Most of the classes at hopkins curve in a way that students don't have to compete with each other, but rather help each other. And that's what you see in the library. A lot of students at hopkins like doing group studying in small groups and although I myself am not a huge fan of group studying, I heard it helped a lot of people. So I don't know how competitive the students are in your high school, but at Hopkins, it's more of high-motivation than competitiveness.
Greco Song

Ask me stuff!

JHU_Admin

• Administrator
Re: Meet JHU_Greco - Fullerton, CA
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 03:00 PM »
A series of questions and answers previously posted to JHU_Greco's thread accidentally were removed. Here they are now:

Posted by Gem on August 14, 2011
Anyoung Ha Se Yo Greco,
First of all, I like your name.
Second, I'm not Korean but I'm surrounded by them and I love them. (:
Third, I've been looking at going to Johns Hopkins for a while now and so I have a few questions for you:
-what are the career opportunities available with your major? can it satisfy med/pharm school pre-reqs?
-I saw that your freshman year was packed with courses, how was that experience? What would you have done differently if you could do your freshman year over?

Thanks,
Gem

Hi Gem,

Here are my answers to you're questions:

(1) With Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (ChemBE) major, you can be involved in all sorts of research, including, but not limited to, pharmaceutical research, biomedical research, nanotechnology research, and chemical research. You can also go industry and apply to various pharmaceutical companies or gas companies and become a process analysts. Check out our chembe department website to see what kind of research is going on in our department. If you just do the program alone, you cannot satisfy medical school pre-reqs (I don't know about pharm schools). You have to take a couple of additional courses to satisfy the pre-reqs for the med school -- for example, Organic Chemistry lab, Organic Chemistry II, and Physics lab.

(2) I had a good experience with my packed courses my freshman year. I like to keep myself busy, and my freshman year was just busy enough for me to both enjoy the freshman year and feel productive. Gosh, I don't really know what I would have done differently... I guess maybe I would have gotten more chance to meet more people other than the people I know now???

Hope this helps!

msanghvi

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 04:43 PM »
Hi!

I saw that you have a looooong list of APs that you took in high school. You mentioned that your APs were more rigorous than most high schools. Graduates from my high school have come back to tell me that they felt the same about our high school AP courses as well. So, in your opinion, was it worth skipping out of the college courses you could using your AP scores, or do you think that another student would benefit more from taking the regular level course? (Does that make sense? xD)

Thanks!

JHU_Greco

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Hi msanghvi!

I'm really glad that I skipped all the intro courses that I could with AP credits. with that time, I finished almost all my humanity requirements for my major my freshman year and start taking funner classes that are more specific and ineresting than most of the 100-level courses. Also, the professors usually review some old materials from 100-level courses in the first couple of weeks of school so you don't really have to worry about forgetting things from your AP courses at college.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Greco
Greco Song

Ask me stuff!

RJulez

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 01:03 AM »
Hi Greco!
I am thinking of applying to JHU, but I have a few questions...

How are the professors at JHU? Are they accessible?
Also, how is the social life in JHU? What do you do during the weekends?
Thanks!

JHU_Greco

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 06:19 AM »
What's up Rjulez,

Everyone has different opinions on the professors at Hopkins because many people experience different things here depending on their majors, etc. But for me, the professors that I've met for the classes I took, most of them were very approachable and accessible. Remember, Hopkins professors are required to hold office hours when they are teaching. These hours are the times when they open their offices for anyone to come in and ask them questions about class materials, homework, test, etc. For small classes, professors tend to ask students to email them to make an appointment. In general, they care a lot about your education and would set up many other study resources (such as teaching assistants, weekly review sessions, etc.) as well.

Social life is really what you make out of. Of course you'll see some people who prefer staying in the library or something during the weekends. You'll see that kind of people no matter what school you go to. And of course you'll see other people who prefer going to frat parties or other house parties to hang out with friends, do fun/stupid stuff, and just have a good time. I find that no matter what you're preference, you'll most likely find your niche at Hopkins. And I would like to point out that only 25% of the people here are involved in Greek life (frats, sororities, pseudo-frats) which basically tells you that our social life is definitely not solely driven by the Greek life people on campus. I'm not part of a frat, but I feel like i do have a descent social life here on campus. And Hopkins is in a city, so you can basically explore a lot of different cool places like mount vernon, towson, inner harbor, fells point, hampton, etc with a cab or shuttle or something. And if you come to Hopkins and we become friends somehow, we'll def hang out in the weekends wooooooo! (unlikely because i'm graduating next year.. haha)

Hope this helps.
Greco Song

Ask me stuff!

jayajasty

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Hey Greco,
            I'm coming to Hopkins next year as a freshman from Louisiana and I was just wondering if it's possible to major in ChemBE as well as public health studies. Would it be too much of a load or impossible to fit your schedule.

Thanks,
Jaya

JHU_Greco

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Hey jaya,

I don't know anyone who is double majoring like that, but I guess you might be able to do it if you overload your credits every semester or take summer classes. ChemBE has a pretty have workload and public health is also a pretty rigorous major, I think. People usually double major in things that has requirements that overlap. chemBE and public health major requirements don't really overlap.

Greco
Greco Song

Ask me stuff!