Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Miranda - Culver City, CA  (Read 7220 times)

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Miranda - Culver City, CA
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:43 PM »
Hi!

My name is Miranda, and I’m from Culver City, CA, which is part of Los Angeles County. As of Spring 2011, I'm officially majoring in Political Science (although that decision was a long time coming) and minoring in Africana Studies (a newer development that I wasn't expecting but I'm happy about). I like reading cheesy novels, running through sprinklers, and making/eating delicious food. When I grow up/graduate I want to 1) Be happy; 2) Be a teacher; and 3) Help reform and improve our education system.

---------

Why Hopkins?

I love the fact that Hopkins doesn’t have a core curriculum – I knew I wanted to take classes in different areas (so I’m fine with distribution requirements), but I wanted to choose the classes myself. I also love the community here – I’ve met so many great people and have a wonderful circle of friends. Lastly, not to sound shallow, but Homewood is a beautiful campus! 

You can also read more about why I chose Hopkins here and here.

----------

Classes

AP Credits
AP Chemistry (General Chemistry I/II and Lab I/II)
AP Statistics (Statistical Analysis I, waived Spring 2013)
AP Macroeconomics (Macroeconomics)
AP Calculus AB (Calculus I)

Fall 2009
Discrete Math
Medieval World
Contemporary International Politics
High Intermediate French I
Expository Writing: Education and the American Dream

Spring 2010
Elements of Microeconomics
High Intermediate French II
Comparative Politics
Human Rights and Anthropology
Guided Tour of the Planets

Summer 2010
Applied Forensic Psychology

Fall 2010
Advanced Writing and Speaking in French I
World Prehistory
American Constitutional Law
Introduction to Urban Policy
Urban Policy Internship

Intersession 2011
Inventing Language
Science of Baking

Spring 2011
Advanced Writing and Speaking in French II
Courts, Politics, and Public Policy
Constitutional Law
Education Politics in Urban America
Law and Psychology

Fall 2011
La France Contemporaine I
Introduction to History of Africa Since 1880
Policy Disasters
Urban Politics and Policy
The Constitution and the Criminal Justice System

Intersession 2012
Mind the Gap

Spring 2012
La France Contemporaine II
Spanish Elements I
Social Organization and Social Control in Schools
Images and Reality: Native Americans in History
Advanced Seminar in Constitutional Law: Comparative Constitutional Law

Fall 2012
Developmental Psychology
Spanish Elements II
Introduction to Race and Ethnicity
Comparative Political Philosophy
Independent Study (Senior Thesis)

Spring 2013
Statistical Analysis I
Men and Women in Society
Lectures in Public Health and Wellbeing in Baltimore
Senior Thesis: Political Science

----------

My Activities

Mock Trial - I wasn't actually sure if I wanted to do Mock Trial in college, but I'm so glad I decided to go to that first information session. I started out as a confused freshman, and for the past two years, I've served as Vice President. This year, I'm the Curriculum Chair and captaining one of the development teams, which I'm really excited for. I love practically everything about Mock Trial - tackling a new case, trying to figure out how to work in new evidence, travelling to other schools for tournaments, and most importantly, the wonderful circle of friends I've made through it. Mock Trial's been one of the biggest parts of my life at school, and I'm sosososo glad that I'm part of it.

Tutorial Project - For Tutorial, we work one-on-one with a Baltimore City elementary/middle school student. Freshman year, I tutored a fourth grade girl - the two of us worked really well together, and I could see major improvements in her work throughout the year. Last year, I had a wonderful, sweet, friendly second grade girl, who unfortunately had to leave the program partway through the year. Now, I'm working with a second grade boy who teaches me how to be a spy and how not to lose at basketball (and I work with him on math and reading and writing too). We also get playtime, which is a great break from being a college student!

Admissions! - I do a lot of work with Admissions - I'm part of SAAB (the wonderful group that brings you Hopkins Interactive!), Blue Key (we give tours - check out when you can go on a tour here), and Admissions Representatives (the people who conduct on-campus interviews). I also have a job in Mason Hall working for Admissions_Laurin (along with my awesome coworkers/SAABuddies). I like working with prospective students, and giving them a chance to see all that Hopkins can offer.

Summer Jobs at Hopkins
I've spent the last three summers here on campus, and I've found jobs through Hopkins all three years. For my first two years, I was working for the JHU Pre-College program as a Resident Advisor, as well as working in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Working in Admissions has shown me the other side of what often appears to be a very mysterious process, and has let me connect with a lot of prospective and incoming students. I loved practically everything about Pre-College--it's like working at a summer camp for almost-college-students. During both years, the staff really connected, and helped create an amazing summer. This summer, I have an internship through the Center for Social Concern's Community Impact Internship Program, working at a start-up education non-profit in Baltimore. It's taught me a lot about the non-profit world, as well as other skills like grant writing and promotion.  Staying in Baltimore for the summer has also had other benefits--I've had much more time to explore the city, and take advantage of all the events that occur over the summer here!

----------

Dorm Life

Last year as a freshman, I lived in AMR I in Sylvester House (you can check out my cribs blog here. AMR I is the oldest dorm on campus, hall-style, non-air conditioned, and multiple people visiting me have told me it reminds them of Hogwarts. I loved living there - it was a great way to meet people, and many of my closest friends are from Sylvester. Last year I lived in McCoy, on 4 East, as part of Group Housing (which basically means I was living with some of my best friends). Although McCoy isn't a lot of people's first choice, I really liked living in McCoy, and had a great experience there. As a junior, I lived off campus with one of my best friends in a wonderful apartment with a great kitchen and view. Initially, I thought I'd want to stay on campus for all four years, but I'm really glad I made the switch to off campus for part of my time as an undergraduate. This past year showed me that I could live in a "grown up apartment" and go grocery shopping and remember to pay rent, all in the controlled setting of still being at school! This year brings another change: being an RA in Charles Commons (my move-in in August marked my eighth move since moving in to AMR I freshman year!). During junior year, I realized how much I missed Pre-College and residential life, and I'm really excited for this experience.

----------

Follow Me!
Read my blog, Miranda Writes to learn more about my life at Hopkins (and probably find some more awkward puns).
Check out my profile.
And ask me a question here!
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

acejhu3

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 07:58 PM »
Hey Miranda! No questions right now (you and everyone else have already been a HUGE help), but I just wanted to drop you a line and say that I think it's awesome you're a vegetarian. :) I am, too. You don't find many where I live, so I was pretty excited when I read that in your bio.

Ashley (acejhu3)

JHU_Jessica

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:55 PM »
Yay vegetarians! You'll find a good group at Hopkins...don't you worry!
Jessica K.
Public Health '11

Read my blog
or ask me a question!
"The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities
of the universe about us, the less taste we shall have for destruction."

- Rachel Carson (a Hopkins alum!)

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:00 PM »
JHU_Cate is also a vegetarian!
I'm probably going to do a blog post later in the semester about being a vegetarian/vegan at Hopkins, so stay tuned!
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

acejhu3

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:05 PM »
Haha, awesome! (About being able to find a group AND about the blog post). :)
I look forward to reading it.

JHU_Greco

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 11:20 AM »
what?? What's Vegan?? Vegan = Vegetarian???

I never heard that word befo O_o
Greco Song
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
President - JHU Vocal Chords
Lab Assistant - Gerecht Lab
Twitter: JHU_Greco

Ask me stuff!
http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2013/meet-jhu_greco-fullerton-ca/

JHU_Kate

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 01:59 PM »
Quote from: "JHU_Greco"
what?? What's Vegan?? Vegan = Vegetarian???

I never heard that word befo O_o
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong: vegans eschew all foods that are animal products, not just meat and seafood. For instance, traditional vegetarians still eat eggs and dairy products, but vegans don't. (One of the three roommates whom I had for both sophomore and junior years was a vegetarian who considered going vegan at one point.)
JHU_Kate
Class of 2010
Neuroscience Major
Classics Minor
Senior Arts Certificate Candidate in Dance

http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/kate

JHU_Dominique

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 02:33 PM »
I agree Kate!
JHU_Dominique
c/o 2012 , Public Health Studies Major; Africana Studies Minor

Ask me a question! http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2012/meet-jhu_dominique-baltimore-md/

Read my bloggity-blog: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/dominique/

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 02:47 AM »
Pescatarians eat fish, dairy, and eggs.
Lacto-ovo vegetarians eat dairy and eggs.
Vegans don't eat any animal products (even if the animal didn't die).

Greco - I think the word vegan was shortened from vegetarian!
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

acejhu3

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Miranda, you're right about "vegan" being a shortened form of "vegetarian", but here's an interesting fact you (and others) may not have known:

The label "vegetarian" did NOT actually come from the word "vegetable", meaning that vegetarians eat vegetables.
It came from the latin word "vegetus", which means whole, sound, fresh, and lively. One of the first organized groups of vegetarians in England came up with the word because they believed eating only plant-based products was the most sound way to live. :)

I'm a Latin I student and a word-lover, haha, I find these things cool.

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 03:24 PM »
That is interesting!
Did the word vegetable come from vegetus? It would make sense that those words were all descended from that root!
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

acejhu3

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 08:07 PM »
Yes, they came from the same root. :)

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 09:41 PM »
Well, it's second semester now, so here's a brief listing of my classes and activities!

Microeconomics (Bruce Hamilton) - JHU_Daniel, JHU_Keith, and JHU_Mandy are all in this class, which would be more of a coincidence if there weren't about 500 people in this class! Yes, it is a big lecture class, but we do have 20 person sections weekly (Keith is in my section, which is more of a coincidence!). So far, it's been a lot more abstract than I was used to in macro in high school, but it's been manageable, albeit with a lot of studying.

High Intermediate French II (Christian Kittery) - This is a continuation of last semester's French class. It's taught be someone else this semester, and although it's a different teaching style it's still interesting. We start off every day with a French tongue twister, so that's one way of seeing if everyone's awake!

Comparative Politics (Juan Wang) - This is an introductory level look at various governments and political structures around the world. It's also got a lot of their basic history, which has been really interesting to learn (and I'm sure will be really useful). Section for this class has also been really thought provoking and interesting!

Freshman Seminar: Human Rights and Anthropology (Isaias Rojas-Perez) - When I signed up for this class, I wasn't entirely sure what it would be about - I just saw the words "law" and "court cases," and figured I'd probably enjoy it. I was right, although we haven't even gotten to that section of the class yet. For the first few weeks, we were discussing more abstract anthropological concepts, and how anthropologists view human rights, but we've started looking at specific cases. It's been very enlightening - I'm learning about events we don't really cover in most curriculums!

Guided Tour of the Planets (Bruce Marsh and Darrell Strobel) - This is a basic astronomy class for non-science majors. Although most people are in this class to get their N/Q requirements, the professors really care about the subject, and have in turn caused a group of humanities and social science majors to care about something that they thought they wouldn't!

As for my other activities, those have stayed the same this semester! In Tutorial, I'm still working with my same student, which is great, because we've already connected, and so we can just pick up where we left off (or, actually a little ahead!). Mock Trial (as any of you who've read my blogs recently can tell you), has been crazier than ever, but for the most part just as fun. We've all been putting more time in this semester, and it's definitely shown! In fact, we just got a mention in the News-Letter! Obviously, I'm still in SAAB, but it's gotten busier too, as we plan things for this spring - check out Hopkins Interactive and stay tuned!
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

anaed82

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 02:29 PM »
Hi Miranda-I'm in the process of researching first semester classes and saw that you took many of the ones I'm interested in. Could you tell me more about Contemporary International Politics, High Intermediate French, and Medieval World? All the topics sound interesting (I'm hoping to be an IS major) but I was wondering what the workload, lecture-style, notes format, exam format, and all those details were like. Overall, I'm curious about how these social sciences that I'm used to on the high school level will translate to college courses. Thanks :) Ana

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Hi,

Here's a brief overview of the classes - let me know if you have more questions about them!

Contemporary International Politics - Stephen David
This is a great introductory political science class. It covers basic theories like realism, and then sees how they apply/don't apply when looking at various political events. We started with the Peloponnesian War, but most of the time was spent on post-Napoleon onwards. The class has lecture twice a week - the lectures are AMAZING. They're podcasted, but they're definitely entertaining to listen to in person! Lots of notes to take here - I ended up with 4-6 handwritten pages per 50 minute lecture. There's also a once a week discussion section. There's a midterm, a final, and a 10ish page final paper.

Medieval World - Gabrielle Spiegel
This is the first segment of the Occidental Civilization sequence (however, you can still take the classes in any order). It covers from the Fall of Rome until the beginning of the Renaissance. It focuses a lot on how religion affected politics and social life. There's a lot of really interesting material, and it's definitely useful to have some knowledge on what happened during that thousand or so years! The class has two lectures a week and a discussion section. I didn't have as many notes for this class - the way lectures are done it's told as more of a story than a bunch of facts all thrown out there, if that makes sense. There's a midterm, a final, and weekly 2-3 page response papers on the reading (writing intensive class).

High Intermediate French
There are two intermediate French classes - Intermediate and High Intermediate. The class you take depends on your placement test score, which you'll take online at some point before class registration. The class covers a lot of grammar throughout the year (some review, some new, depending on your high school experience). The class meets three times a week, and you spend most of the time working on speaking and listening. There is homework (for working on reading comprehension/grammar/writing), papers every other week (which you re-do and get some points back) and about 6 quizzes, but NO final.

I found it was definitely manageable to handle these three courses in addition to the others I was taking (including another writing intensive class!). They're all great classes, so sit in the first week and see what you like! Hope this helped, and if you have any other questions, please ask!
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 10:16 AM »
Summer Update!

I'm spending most of this summer in Baltimore, doing a variety of things...

Class: Applied Forensic Psychology (Lawrence Raifman)
I saw this class listed during the spring, and the subject sounded incredibly interesting. I haven't taken a psych class before, but I talked to the professor during the spring (and sat in on a class of his), and decided to go for it. Great decision - every day we're covering a new interesting topic, and classtime is basically one big discussion/question asking session. The grading distribution is also very flexible, so that's helpful too! The class covers where law and psychology meet  by discussing various examples (such as competency for execution and the insanity  defense).

Working: Admissions and Pre-College RA
I'm working in Admissions, giving tours and doing things in the office. It's so weird being on the other side of it all, when two summers ago I was the one going around visiting schools! I'm also going to be a pre-college RA. Pre-College is for students in high school to come live on the Hopkins campus and take classes here. A lot of people from my dorm this past year are also RAs, so that should be fun!

Travelling/Exploring: Baltimore and the East Coast
I've definitely got more free time this summer, and I'm taking advantage of it! Last weekend my friend and I explored the river/creek and forest trail behind Hopkins, this week I'm going to Virginia, and I hope to go to New York at some point! It's also amazing how many cool things near Hopkins I missed this year. My roommate and I discoverd the Wyman Park Dell, which is right across the street from Hopkins, has a playground, and has outdoor movies in June!

If anyone has questions about summer in Baltimore, ask away!
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

Ntiriwa

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 03:32 PM »
I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your blog. I was looking at your activities and I thought they were really interesting. If I get the opportunity to attend Hopkins I think I will be more than willing to work at admissions. Does everyone get the opportunity to work there? Could you please explain exactly what Mock Trial is? Thanks.

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Hi,

In addition to having a student job in Admissions, there are lots of volunteer opportunities, which is where the vast majority of students involved in Admissions become involved. In addition to SAAB, there's the Blue Key Society (tour guides), Hopkins Hosting Society (students host prospective students), Multicultural Student Volunteers, and Engineering Ambassadors. During the summer before (and at the beginning of) freshman year, there's a lot of publicity for these groups, so you'll definitely have an opportunity to become involved!

For Mock Trial - here's a blog entry I wrote last year about the basics of how Mock Trial works!

Let me know if you have other questions!
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 11:24 PM »
I know there was a lot of discussion earlier about being vegetarian. I finally got around to writing about vegetarian food options at Hopkins...read about them here!
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

rachel.furlow

Re: Meet JHU_Miranda - Culver City, CA
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Hi!

I'm captain of the Mock Trial team at my school and was thinking about doing Mock Trial in college. Can you tell me a bit more about Mock Trial at Johns Hopkins; for example, who can do it, what roles can freshman do, what tournaments you go to, etc...?

Rachel

JHU_Jacqueline

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 08:17 PM »
Hi Rachel,

I'm a current freshman on Mock Trial with Miranda and fellow freshman JHU_Kevin (http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2015/meet-jhu_kevin-southport-ct/).

As far as who can do Mock Trial, it's open to anyone.  Tryouts are typically in the first few weeks of school.  If you want to be a witness they had one of the upperclassmen attorneys (like Miranda) cross-examine you, and if you wanted to be an attorney you had to prepare a cross-examination of a witness played by an upperclassman.  Some kids come in with no Mock Trial experience, while others, like Kevin, Miranda, and I, come having done it in high school (I was a double attorney on my high school team, went to state, nats, etc.)  This year the highest ranked freshmen at tournaments were evenly split between those who had mock trial experience and those who didn't, so this is really an activity that anyone can excel in if they want to put the time and effort in. 

As far as freshman roles, it really depends on what your strengths are.  Since the case changes every year, different witnesses are needed and the person who's really good at playing a nerdy expert witness one year might be better at being an attorney for the defendant next year.  I was a double attorney this year with a closing, and Kevin actually played THREE witnesses one weekend (in college you have more witnesses to choose from and you don't know what witnesses the other team will pick until a half hour before the trial begins.)  There was never any talk along the lines of, "Oh you're only a freshman so you can't be an attorney/be an expert witness/have an opening/have a closing."

As far as tournaments, the freshman this year went to at least three tournaments (Penn State, University of Pennsylvania, and regional competition either at Drexel University or University of Maryland).  Some of our upperclassmen went to about five or six tournaments this year because they advanced past regional competition.)  Some freshman went to a tournament at Fordham University during the month of January, and that tournament was a boatload of fun.  I wrote a few blogs about the first two tournaments if you want to know some of the hijinks:
http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/2015/2011/11/a-weekend-as-the-law-microblogging-a-mock-trial-tournament/
http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/2015/2011/10/we-are-the-law/

If you're looking to do mock trial to gain relevant experience in preparation for law school or something of that nature I can safely say that the team is pretty good at that as well.  I know a freshman on the team who started interning at the Baltimore City Attorney's Office by the start of her second semester, one of our seniors just got his dream job as a paralegal in NYC while he gains work experience before applying to law school, and I was offered an internship at the District Attorney's Office in Brooklyn this summer.  The team and its individual members also place well in tournaments, (Miranda and I both were named Outstanding Advocates at the Fordham Tournament).  If you're interested in law, JHU also has a pre-law advising system to check out, (http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/law/index.html) although you might be surprised to find a lot of people on the Hopkins Mock Trial team aren't necessarily interested in going to law school but just really like mock trial (one of my freshman friends on the team was a computer science major pre-med). 

Overall, mock trial has been a blast as a freshman.  I've been able to continue doing something I loved in high school, I've met a lot of cool people, and I've traveled up and down the East Coast.  Sorry if this was a little long. 
Jacqueline M.
Class of 2015
International Studies
If you think I'm crazy here, you must not be familiar with my blog.
Ask me a question!

"You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve."-Ginny Weasley

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 10:25 PM »
Jacqueline did a great job explaining Hopkins Mock Trial :)

Here's a little bit more, from my perspective:
Mock Trial is one of my favorite things about Hopkins. There are some people I've met through it that I can't imagine not having in my life, it's helped me learn all sorts of lessons, my confidence and public speaking skills have improved, I've travelled to cities I wouldn't have otherwise visited, and so many of my favorite memories go back to Mock Trial. It's not an easy commitment, by all means. If you want to do well, it takes time and effort and patience and then some more. I'm writing about my experiences this season on my blog really soon too, so I'll post here when I've done that too :)

Here are a few blogs I've written about Mock Trial:
http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/miranda/2009/10/this-is-mock-trial-this-is-madness/
http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/miranda/2010/02/cause-the-trial-dont-start-till-we-walk-in/
http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/miranda/2010/10/from-the-other-side/
http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/miranda/2011/10/meet-me-in-st-louis/

Here are a few more resources:
JHU Mock Trial Website - https://sites.google.com/site/mocktrialjhu/home
You'll find more information about our program here (and some pictures). There's also some more description of what undergrad Mock Trial entails.

American Mock Trial Association - collegemocktrial.org
AMTA runs all of the post-season tournaments, and they also release the rights to the case (criminal and civil on alternate years). Essentially all college mock trial teams participate using the AMTA case packet, and virtually all invitationals are run using this case. This year, over 600 teams participated in AMTA Regional Tournaments.

Perjuries - perjuries.com
Perjuries is the online Mock Trial community/forums page. I spend way too much time there.
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

overseas

Hi
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 08:50 AM »
Hello Miranda,

Hello,

I am an international prospective student and would like to attend JHU. I have some questions here and would be thankful to answer me:

1. Does JHU admit non traditional international students? Due to financial problems I have to support my siblings for their educational expenses and could not attend the university after the high school graduation. I wonder if JHU admit non traditional international students.

2. I have great achievements in scientific competitions. Does JHU consider my awards during the admission procedure?

3. Dose applying for financial aid diminish a student’s chances of admission?

Thank you very much.