Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Allysa - Cream Ridge, NJ  (Read 6867 times)

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
Meet JHU_Allysa - Cream Ridge, NJ
« on: September 27, 2010, 11:00 PM »
Hey guys! My name is Allysa. I am from New Jersey near the Jersey shore. I am double majoring in International Studies, with a concentration in global environmental policy, as well as Global Environmental Change and Sustainability (often known as GECS). I've had such a great experience so far with my two majors - they're both interdepartmental, which has allowed me to take a wide range of classes and at the same time satisfying major requirements. It really doesn't get any better than that! With that being said, please do feel free to ask me any questions regarding the IS and GECS majors. Furthermore, I am deaf, so I am quite experienced with Johns Hopkins' disability services (http://web.jhu.edu/disabilities) as well as general university accommodations - I'm more than happy to provide advice and assist you.

------------------------------------------------
So why Hopkins?

After visiting (I visited the campus maybe four or five times...I couldn't stop coming back!!), I remember leaving Hopkins thinking, "Wow, the students are such an amazing group of people." They all had passion and drive for learning and independence. That was a common thread I saw throughout all the students which I still see today. Our character is something that doesn't go unnoticed. Hopkins is also so diverse in its student body, academics, and extra-curriculars, which was a huge plus.

Classes

FALL 2010
Contemporary International Politics
Intro to Calculus
Intro to Global Environmental Change
Indigenous Agency and Innovation

SPRING 2011
Microeconomics
Intro to Sustainability
Calculus
Global Environmental Politics

SUMMER 2011
Intro to Chem
Chem Lab I
Macroeconomics

FALL 2011
Prisons and Police
Environment and Your Health
Intro to Psych
The American Earth: Empire & Environment in U.S. History

SPRING 2012
Intro to Social Psych
Occidental Civilizations: Modern Europe
Asian Energy Security
Intro to Political Economy I
Climate Change: Science & Policy

SUMMER 2012
Food Politics

FALL 2012
Ecology
Environmental History
Intro to Social Stats
Designing Sustainable Wellness

SPRING 2013
Women and Modern Chinese History
Environmental Policymaking & Analysis
Geography & Ecology of Plants
Comparison of Environmental Challenges in China & the U.S.

SUMMER 2013
Independent study

FALL 2014
Junk! New (Old) Materials in Modern Art
Intro to Cinema, 1892 - 1941
Lights, Camera, Action: Woody Allen
Global Public Health Since WWII
Economics of Health

On another note, I took AP U.S. History, AP Comparative Politics, AP Lit, AP French, and AP Environmental Science in high school.

Extracurriculars

Student Admissions Advisory Board (SAAB): We are the ones behind Hopkins Interactive and we aim to help prospective students by writing blogs, answering Hopkins-related questions, working with the Open Houses and other Hopkins-related events...the list is endless! Basically, we want to help you in making the college process go smoothly as possible.

Admissions: I work in Admissions on various projects for SAAB and other admissions-related things over the summer as well as during the school year.

Hopkins Hosting Society:
This is a great opportunity to meet and host prospective students and show them my home. I was fortunate enough to be able to visit Hopkins overnight several times - though it was not through Hopkins. I had friends that already went to JHU and I had such a great time. It made me fall in love with Hopkins even more. So it is my hope that every prospective student gets a chance to visit Hopkins!

Alpha Phi Sorority:
I joined sophomore year instead of freshman year. I wanted to focus on my academics first and later on, I became really involved in Alpha Phi even though I wasn't in it yet because all of my friends were in it! So I'm very glad I rushed (we rush in the spring) and I've gotten to know many people through Alpha Phi as well as the other sororities.

Teaching Assistant for Bloomberg School of Public Health
I have been a TA for two years. I assist with an undergraduate course taught by the Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Dormlife

I originally come from Wolman East 6th floor, the dorm I stayed in for my freshman year. I lived in Charles Commons 4th floor for my sophomore year. I think Wolman and Charles Commons are the best dorms on campus! Why? Because they're right next to Charles Market, also known as Charmar. Charmar has EVERYTHING you could possibly need. It is also near Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, Chipotle, Subway...the list goes on. Additionally, it's right across from the "beach" - the lawn where students tan, do work on the grass, or even play frisbee. For my freshman year, I lived in a double (I had a roommate), with two suitemates too, who each lived in a single. We shared a kitchenette and bathroom. And not to mention that we had AC, unlike the AMRs! In Commons, I lived in a single, with 3 other suitemates. We also had a kitchenette, 2 bathrooms (which was great), and a living room. Junior year, I lived off-campus. Now, as a senior, I still live off-campus.

That's it for now. Please feel free to ask me or anyone of us any questions you may have! And don't forget to check out my blog: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/allysa/.
JHU_Allysa
International Studies|Global Environmental Change and Sustainability

Visit my blog

And even better, ask me a question!

Samantha

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Hi Allysa!

I just received my acceptance letter to Johns Hopkins two days ago! I'm still a little stunned but so happy and grateful I was accepted!!

I really want to attend Johns Hopkins but I am having a hard time choosing between Johns Hopkins and UVA. I have not visited Johns Hopkins yet but I plan to do so very soon. I'm nervous that I won't be able to "relax" and have fun because of potential stress and work load. What made you choose Hopkins?? And how do you manage your time?

I would really appreciate your advice, as this would be on the biggest decisions of my life! And I don't want to let this opportunity pass me by.

Thank You so Much!

Samantha

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Hi Samantha!!

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! You must be so excited.

There is no doubt in my mind that you won't be able to relax or find some downtime. You definitely will. For me, I am usually able to do anything on the weekends such as go out, explore Baltimore, or just hang out with friends. I'm definitely busy during the week (it depends on what classes you take, how many, and your extra-cirriculars), but I always have some downtime. It can get busy/stressful at some times, but it's often usually before midterms and finals, which is a given. Obviously, I strongly encourage you to choose Hopkins because I absolutely love it here!! The students here are amazing - I would say that's the best thing about Hopkins. I also love the flexibility of the curriculum - there's no core curriculum (meaning you can pick your own classes and explore different majors!). But, like for anyone, you may find JHU not to be the "one," which then brings me to SOHOP. It's an overnight program for admitted students and I strongly encourage you to do it. It's going to be tons of fun and you will get the best perspective of Hopkins. It will definitely help you in your decision. You'll be able to see the campus inside and out, talk to many different students and get their different opinions and advice. It's a really great opportunity. Please let me know if you end up doing it!!

Best,
Allysa
JHU_Allysa

Visit my blog

Samantha

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Thanks so much that clarifies things a lot!! I am actually pretty sure that I want to go to Johns Hopkins now. I just registered for the Discovery Days which are from April 13th-15th so I'm really excited about that! Hopefully that will give me a better perspective of Hopkins.
I've worked hard my entire life and I know what its like to study hard for midterms and finals and not to mention AP exams!

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Great!!! I am SO glad to hear that. And yes, it especially helps if you have a good work ethic - you will do just fine, no doubt in my mind at all. I haven't had any difficulty in terms of time management and work load because I did the same thing in high school - managing my time wisely and whatnot. So you shouldn't have a problem. April 13-15 is right around the corner, so get excited! And if you ever have any more questions, please feel free to ask!
JHU_Allysa

Visit my blog

jhupost

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 11:04 AM »
Hi Allysia,
I am considering attending Johns Hopkins University but am trying to compile as much information about the university as I can. I did, however, have some specific questions: What other colleges were you accepted to and what made you choose Hopkins over these? I want to pursue a career in medicine, so I was wondering if Hopkins truly is one of the greatest undergraduate programs to get into medical school (as I have heard from countless people). I have not yet gotten a chance to visit the campus but have heard that it is one of the nicest campuses out there; what's your opinion? And I just have one other question. I have heard that JHU is one of the hardest, most rigorous colleges out there (like, even more so than Harvard because of the way that the grades are curved). Is this true? If so, would medical school programs look more highly upon someone that has done exceedingly well at Hopkins over someone that has done remarkably well at, say, some state university? Thanks you so much, and I understand if you don't have the time to answer all my questions!

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 02:58 PM »
Hi jhupost!

You heard right, Johns Hopkins is a GREAT school for not only medicine, but for research as well. Very rarely do you have the chance to learn from professors who have such expertise in their field. It's a rare opportunity that state schools often do not offer. I'm curious, do you know what kind of medicine you want to study? Neuroscience is very popular here, as well as just Cellular and Molecular Biology. I also highly suggest contacting other SAABers who are majoring in these areas (since I am international studies/global envi change and sustainability major).

In my opinion, the campus is stunning. I applied here ED, and the campus was one of the main reasons why I loved this school. It was actually the first school I visited out of MANY. Since I applied ED, I did not apply to other colleges. However, I was seriously considering applying regular in order to apply to Princeton and Dartmouth, which were some of my top choices. But I still chose JHU. That brings me to SOHOP - which you probably have heard about (there's a lot of info about that on the Facebook 2015 group), which I HIGHLY recommend you to do. It's an overnight program and will really allow you to get to know JHU inside and out. You'll be able to interact with current students who will provide different perspectives and advice. Also, check out photos from Hopkins Interactive's flickr - there's some beautiful pictures there: Flickr: Hopkins Interactive.

In terms of academics, JHU is quite a rigorous college. That's what makes it such a great school. The students that attend here are dedicated and have a passion for learning. That's another reason why I applied ED. It's a great environment to succeed in as well as maintain your other interests such as extracirriculars and social life. Medical schools know that if you do well here, you can do well anywhere, and it's true. I think the website of the office of academic advising has some outstanding statistics on the admissions of medical schools. You can find that website here: Admissions of Medical Schools. It says that first time med school applicants with a GPA of over 3.3 had a 88% chance of getting into at least one medical school. I think that's a pretty good chance. But once again, talk to other SAABers for more info. But in a way, know that this is coming from a non pre-med student, who knows this already - that's how well Hopkins is known for it!

Hope this helps and if you have more questions, ask!

Best,
Allysa
JHU_Allysa

Visit my blog

Eric

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 04:53 AM »
Hi Allysa!

I'm a Junior at Taipei American School, and while I was fumbling through the Johns Hopkins website, I came across your profile and immediately I realized I have to ask you a couple of questions! I'm interested in studying international relations, and JHU is definitely a forte in this major. I was wondering what is truly unique about International Studies program that made you select it, and how does the course work out for you? Are there unique experiences that are memorable and aren't offered at other schools?

I hope to hear back from you soon! Thanks!

- Eric

Erika

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 06:35 PM »
Hey Allysa!

I'm currently a sophomore in high school and Johns Hopkins is definitely my first choice in schools, so I plan on applying ED.
Is the student life at Hopkins stressful?
Thanks so much!

-Erika

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 11:17 PM »
Hey Eric!

The International Studies (IS) program is quite unique and one of the top programs here at JHU. It is one of the largest majors at Hopkins. So far, I have loved the courses I've taken for IS. The major is interdisciplinary, meaning you take courses from all areas - language, history, economics, and so forth. I really like that because I feel like my studies are so much more enriching and interesting. Additionally, it allows me to double major or minor easily because I'm fulfilling other major requirements by taking classes outside the political science sphere (right now, I am planning to double major in IS and Global Environmental Change and Sustainability). That's definitely a unique thing about Hopkins. Check out this link to get a better idea of what kind of classes you would take to fulfill the major requirement: International Studies Major Requirements. The University actually offers a 5 year accelerated IS program to get both BA and MA degrees at The Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) that is in Washington D.C. and Bologna. It's quite competitive in terms of admission - only around 8 are admitted, but it is one of the top programs in the country. You spend 3 years as an undergrad, and then 2 years at SAIS. Check out their website here: SAIS. Also, another unique experience about taking IS at JHU is FAS (Foreign Affairs Symposium). The Foreign Affairs Symposium is a student-run, non-profit speaker and panel series dedicated to raising awareness about current, pressing international issues. In the past, FAS has had the following come to Hopkins: Editor-in-Chief of the Economist John Micklethwait, Ralph Nader, Former UN Ambassador John Bolton, Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell, Former World Bank Chief Economist Joseph Stiglitz, and so on. You can see this year's speakers here: 2011 FAS Speakers. I've found the discussions to be so interesting and diverse. It's definitely an opportunity you cannot miss.

Also, if you get a chance, check out the academics blog for International Studies: Academics Blog: International Studies.

Hope this helped and if you have more questions, fire away!

Best,
Allysa
JHU_Allysa

Visit my blog

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 11:32 PM »
Hey Erika!

I'm glad to hear that you are already interested in Hopkins!! I would say that the experiences with RD and ED for each student varies. I applied ED and I'm glad I did that. Sure, it took stress off, but I knew and was absolutely certain that I wanted to attend Hopkins. With that being said, don't apply ED because it's less stressful or you think it'll increase your chances. Only apply ED if you're absolutely positive that you want to attend the school, because there's no turning back!! Anyway, as for my high school experience, I took a variety classes and did well in them. I was really involved with my school and had a good experience. With that being said, because of my work ethic and interest in learning, life at Hopkins hasn't been too stressful. Of course, it's stressful near midterms and finals, but that's a given with any school! Other than that, the workload has certainly been manageable and do-able. I still have time to do the things I want to do, such as hanging out with friends, exploring Baltimore, etc. Anyway, my advice to you is to visit all the schools (if possible) in person and get a feel for the general atmosphere, the campus, the students, etc. It really makes a difference - Hopkins was actually the first school I visited, and I immediately fell in love with it. Even after visiting many colleges, I still knew Hopkins was it. So I believe I made the right decision with going ED.

Hope this helped, and feel free to ask any more questions about Hopkins!

Best,
Allysa
JHU_Allysa

Visit my blog

Erika

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 12:43 PM »
Of course, I'm one billion percent positive that JHU is the perfect school and the best fit for me, especially with all of the opportunities available.
Thanks for the info! I love the fact that Hopkins students seem so enthusiastic about the school and everyone seems really friendly! :D

ig48

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 09:12 PM »
Hi Allysa!

I'm a junior from New York, and I visited Hopkins in February. I fell in love with it! I am going to apply ED in the fall, and have spent so much time on the Hopkins Interactive forums, so thanks so much for everything you guys do on here!! Anyways, I saw that you are part of the JHU Newsletter. I was wondering if you could talk a little about this experience. I am very into journalism, and I know there is no journalism major at Hopkins, but I thought maybe the Newsletter could suffice/come close!!

Thanks soo much!

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Hey ig48!

That's great you are applying ED! I'm quite confident you won't regret it :) Applying here was one of the best decisions I ever made and I love it here. Anyway, I am a layout editor of the Newsletter, which is basically putting the newspaper together. While I don't know much about the journalism aspect of the newsletter (that's a different "department"), I know the journalists are very committed and love their job there. It's definitely time consuming, but those who are really into it enjoy it a lot. So I'm positive you'll love it if you join! The JHU Newsletter is actually the longest running college newspaper (since 1896) in the COUNTRY! So it's very distinguished. Check out their website here: JHU Newsletter. You'll also love the quaint and charming publications house! It's on the edge of campus in the middle of beautiful gardens near the Baltimore Museum of Art (check out a picture of it here - Publications House.

If you have more questions, fire away!

Best,
Allysa
JHU_Allysa

Visit my blog

sophielee0413

Your reason why you are studying IR=My reason why I am studying IR!!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 01:44 AM »
Hi Allysa,

I'm Sophie, a senior at Oregon Episcopal School in Portland, OR. I submitted my ED application a couple of days ago! I was very, very excited, but on the other hand, I was very, very nervous!!

I visited JHU website and saw your profile, and realized that the reason why you are studying IR matched mine! School trip to India in my junior year impacted me so much that I decided to study IR to help developing countries!!

So my question is that what kind of opportunities at JHU available related to helping developing countries and  underprivileged students?

If you could reply to my post/question, that would be wonderful!
Thank you!!
Sophie :)

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
Re: Meet JHU_Allysa - Cream Ridge, NJ
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 01:17 PM »
Hi Sophie!

I'm so excited that you decided to apply ED here at Hopkins. Good luck!!! Please do keep me posted.

That is awesome you are also interested in IS! If you'd like, you can visit the IS thread http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/major-specific-questions/international-studies/ on the forums to check out some more information. The thread also contains two great links to the academics blog about the IS major. You should check it out!

There are many, many opportunities at JHU available that includes volunteering abroad. In fact, I am going to Ecuador this spring for a couple of weeks to visit the underprivileged communities and study how they interact with their environment. I am so excited. Anyway, there are several trips that involve volunteer work that go abroad during intersession (we actually don't have classes during January, instead, we have "Intersession," which is voluntary - you can take super interesting 1 or 2 credit courses or go abroad somewhere) - check it out here: http://web.jhu.edu/study_abroad/programs/intersession.html - especially check out the Ecuador and Ghana ones. There's also study abroad opportunities during the summer! My friend actually went on the trip that went to South Africa - he said it was life-changing. Check it out here: http://www.jhu.edu/summer/undergrad/studyabroad/index.html.

Hope all of this helps! Please do let me know if you have any more questions!

Best,

Allysa
JHU_Allysa

Visit my blog

SydneyMG

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Hello! I'm an admitted student interested in the GECS major! I will be on campus this coming Wednesday before the admitted student program. Are there any GECS aadviser/professors/current students you could put me in contact with that I could meet with between 11 and 1 on Wednesday?

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 11:33 AM »
Congrats!!! Great to hear that you're interested in the GECS program. I would suggest for you to visit the GECS department's website (http://eps.jhu.edu/gecs/) - at the bottom of the page, is the department head's e-mail address. She's my advisor and she's really helpful! Maybe you can shoot her an e-mail and see if she's available.
JHU_Allysa

Visit my blog

creepyasianman5566

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 12:23 PM »
Hello Allysa!

I'm Thomas. I was looking at your profile, and, WOW, you're double majoring on two interdisciplinary majors? That's so cool! Is that, like, too much to handle? I mean, is there too much pressure or workload from the courses? I'm asking this because I'm planning to double major in university/college (preferably at JH), and I'm sort of worried if it's going to be to much for me to handle, so do you have any difficulties? Could you share some experience?

Also, how's the social studies at JH? I know JH is famous for its natural science studies, but how about the social science courses?

Thanks!
Thomas

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Hi Thomas!

Thanks for your interest in Johns Hopkins! To answer your question, I have really enjoyed majoring in two majors. It hasn't been too difficult for me to handle because the fact that they're interdisciplinary actually makes them easy to fulfill certain requirements. For example, my GECS major requires 2 Econ courses and IS requires 4 Econ courses. So I have easily fulfilled 2 of them for both majors at the same time! Other similar requirements have especially included Political Science. Even more so, IS requires to take a few outside area courses in the Natural Sciences, which was super easy to fulfill because I was already taking Natural Science courses for my GECS major, which is super science-based. Basically, I would say that taking a interdisciplinary majors really helps to fulfill requirements, as compared to majors that aren't interdisciplinary. But it's still possible to take two completely different majors that aren't interdisciplinary! My advice is just to make sure you take a look at all of your requirements, whether or not it's feasible in regard to your schedule and credits, etc all in advance. I was fortunate enough to know what I wanted to do by the end of Freshman year, so I had 3 years to fulfill pretty much everything (and some Freshman courses that I took on a whim already counted towards the 2 majors). Just make sure you have the time and you're prepared!

Social studies is actually very prominent at Johns Hopkins. The International Studies, Political Science, and History departments are one of the best in the United States and International Studies is in fact one of the most popular major at JHU contrary to common belief.

Hope that helped!

Best,

Allysa
JHU_Allysa

Visit my blog

ness257

Question
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 06:37 PM »
Hi Allysa,

My name is Nesrine, I'm French, I want to become a surgeon so I want to study medicine at JHU as foreign students I'm 14 so I still have time, but I want to know everything now, see the options presented to me. I wanted to know is that I can work to pay for my studies?

A.M.Hash

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Hi Allysa !
i have done my premed and now i am doing my bachelors, a bachelors covering all the bio related subjects like
Molecular bio , cell bio , enzymology , biotechnology , Bio-statistics , Biochemistry , Biophysics , Neuroscience , and many more related subjects , its like we just study them and apply them, mixed with entrepreneurship  but don't go much into depth of these subjects
this course is four years honors program ie BS.hons (APPLIED Bio sciences )
do u think that i have any special route to take through this multi-dimensional field AS IN JH ?
P.S: i also have done premed and BS was after premed.
Doing it from NUST National institute of science and technology.
Failure is a WORD Unknown to me !