Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Lucie - Scarsdale, NY  (Read 16736 times)

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Lucie - Scarsdale, NY
« on: September 23, 2010, 09:36 PM »
INTRODUCING JHU_LUCIE!   

Hey everyone! My name is Lucie and I am a senior Writing Seminars major from Scarsdale, NY.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHY HOPKINS?

I chose Johns Hopkins for a couple of reasons. I love the fact that when you are on the campus it feels like you are in the suburbs when you are really in the heart of Baltimore. From the looks of the campus - particularly the beautiful quads and the blossoming gardens - you would honestly never guess that Hopkins is situated within a buzzing city. I love the idea of being able to bask in Baltimore’s city-like aura while still living in an extremely safe environment with a very walk-able campus. It also makes me really happy that, due to Hopkins’ proximity to my hometown, I can take a train home at any time and be there in three short hours.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY CLASSES 

FALL 2010
Introduction to Cognitive Neuropsychology
Introduction to the Study of Film I, from 1892-1941
Italian Elements I
Conversations With the Earth
Professional Communication for Business, Science, & Industry

SPRING 2011
Introduction to Fiction and Poetry Writing I
Oral Presentations
Introduction to Cognitive Neuroscience
Introduction to the Study for Film II, from 1941-present
Italian Elements II

FALL 2011
Introduction to Fiction and Poetry Writing II
Introduction to the History of European Art
Animal Minds (philosophy)
Intermediate Spanish II

SPRING 2012
Introduction to Fiction Writing
Seminar: Opinion Writing
Principles of Marketing
Introduction to Film Theory
Reading Seminar: Black Society in the Americas

Fall 2012 -- STUDYING ABROAD IN LONDON: http://www.bu.edu/abroad/programs/london-internship-program/
British Film and TV since 1960
British Television Studies
British Cinema and Society
7-week Internship: Argos TV http://www.argos.co.uk/tv/

Spring 2013
Advertising & Integrated Marketing Communication (Honda)
Intermediate Fiction: Forming the Short Story
Introduction to Poetry
Introduction to Literary Study
Intro Social Psychology

Fall 2013
Advanced Fiction Workshop
Intermediate Poetry: Poetic Forms
Trauma in Theory, Film, and Fiction
Subatomic World

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY ACTIVITIES

The JHU Mental Notes: The Mental Notes are Johns Hopkins University's ONLY comedy a cappella troop. We sing parodies, original funny songs, and non-funny songs. Our rehearsals are on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays, and total to 7 hours a week. These 7 hours are used for bonding and group decision-making as well as for rehearsal time.

Student Admissions Advisory Board: SAAB is the organization that brings you Hopkins Interactive! There are currently 28 students on SAAB (10 of which are freshmen). After writing sample blogs and being interviewed, the 10 of us were chosen to represent the JHU Class of 2014. Our blogs and forums are designed to aid prospective students in their college searches by offering our experiences and answering any questions they might have about Hopkins.

Phi Mu sorority: Phi Mu is one of 4 sororities on campus.  Rush takes place in the spring of freshman year and lasts about four days.  When it's over, every girl who rushed will automatically get a bid! What sorority will they get a bid from?  That's where all the fun comes in.  Bid night is exciting and is the start of a sisterhood that will last a lifetime.  No matter what sorority you're in, Greek Life is a great way to get involved at Hopkins and to add a LOT of fun events to your social calendar.

"Learn More, See More, B'More": At the start of my freshman year, I created a video series for JHU's Office of Undergraduate Admissions Website.  My co-host, JHU_Noah, and I travel through Baltimore, exploring the charming city in an effort to show prospective students just how much Baltimore has to offer (contrary to popular belief).  Check out the series here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2AAEE6559F896FBD&feature=mh_lolz
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY DORM LIFE   

As a freshman, I lived in Baker house of AMR II. The AMRs are considered to be the most "social" freshmen dorms at JHU. Since the dorms are not suite-style it is easy to leave your door open throughout the day to allow friends to drop by. Additionally, the AMRs are located on the freshman quad and are right next to the Fresh Food Café where all of the freshmen eat. Despite what some people think, Wolman, McCoy, and Buildings A & B are not anti-social. I had close friends in each of these dorms and they all loved their individual buildings.

As a sophomore, I lived in Charles Commons.  This building is the "hot spot" of sophomore year, and houses its own personal fitness center, a laundry room, a common kitchen, a library, a lounge, and Nolan's on 33rd--the cafeteria/restaurant that is basically the sophomore year equivalent of the Fresh Food Café.  Charles Commons is new, clean, and home to over 600 Hopkins students!  I lived in a 4-person suite with my twin sister and two of our best friends.  Each of us has our own single bedroom, and there are two bathrooms, a kitchen, an eating space, and a lounge area with a couch (provided by Hopkins) and a TV (which we brought from home).

As a junior and senior, I'm living in an off-campus apartment building called The Charles. I use the term "off-campus" very loosely considering the building is physically closer to the campus than some ON-campus dorms--it's sandwiched between Charles Commons and the Charles Street Market on North Charles Street, directly across from the Hopkins beach. I share this (incredibly spacious) two-bedroom apartment with my twin sister. The view is to die for and since most of the residents are Hopkins students, the building is BASICALLY an off-campus dorm!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS!
-JHU_Lucie
Read my blog: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/lucie/
Watch my "Learn More, See More, B'More" videos: http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/videos/

LexxiLafving

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 12:36 AM »
I noticed that you're a twin and you mentioned that your sister also goes to Johns Hopkins. Well I'm a twin as well and I was just wondering what it's like to go to college with your twin. Also, I was wondering if you and your sister were competitive in high school and if it affected you in regards to applying to college. Thanks so much, Alexis.

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Alexis,

Hey!  I apologize for my delayed response to your question.  Thank you very much for visiting my Hopkins Interactive profile...I hope you've been able to learn a lot about JHU from some of our blogs and discussion boards.

My twin sister and I were never competitive in high school.  We often took the same classes and would help one another when it came to studying or doing homework.  Our grades were almost identical...sometimes I would get a higher grade on an assignment and other times she would, but it generally evened out.  We've also always had the same group of friends.  We wear the same size clothing and share a lot of things, so rooming together is very convenient.  We haven't lived in the same room at home since we were about 8 years old, but we get along very well as roommates.  Since she is majoring in Economics and I will most likely major in Writing Seminars, most of our classes are different - we are taking one Earth science course together this semester and a psychology course together next semester (for distribution requirements), but we chose to sign up for these classes together because we like walking to class with each other  :P

It's very fun to go to college with your twin if the two of you get along well.  We are, and have always been, best friends, so it's been very comforting to have her here!  We also applied to all of the same colleges, having written on our applications that we hope to go to school together and would appreciate if the admissions committee could make the same decision regarding our applications.  Every school respected our request.  I hope I answered your question - please let me know if you have anything else that you'd like to ask me.  Good luck in your college search!

-Lucie
-JHU_Lucie
Watch my "Learn More, See More, B'More" videos: http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/videos/

Gem

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:46 AM »
Hello Lucie,
I was wondering how you chose your classes and how long can you have an undecided major?

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 01:29 AM »
Hey!

Thanks for writing with questions!  When it came to picking my classes, especially for the first semester of freshman year, I searched around on ISIS (which is the feature on the Johns Hopkins portal that allows you to register for classes and view your grades).  ISIS lets you to narrow your search down to a certain major and even certain time-slots for classes.  For example, I knew that I wanted to take a class that had to do with Global Environmental Change and Sustainability, but I didn't know which class I'd like.  I also knew that, based on the other classes I had selected (just by poking around around ISIS), that I wanted a class in the Tuesday/Thursday 10:30-11:45 AM time-slot (based on my personal preference for my class schedule).  

The classes are listed by title and when you click on the course number you can see the number of credits you get for completing the course, the number of students allowed in it, the required textbooks that you'll need to purchase, the distribution requirement(s) that it fulfills (follow this URL to learn more about distribution requirements: http://krieger.jhu.edu/neuroscience/undergraduate/distribution_university_req.html) and a short description of what you will learn in the class.  It's very fun, actually, to search ISIS and read about the different classes that are offered...when I go on, I wind up staying there for hours looking for classes that interest me.  

Most classes have various sections that meet at different hours during the day, so it's relatively easy to create a schedule that works with the other classes you want to take.  Also, a lot of my friends decided that they just didn't want to take any classes on Fridays and they wanted a 3-day weekend every single week, so they manipulated their schedules to make sure they don't have any classes that meet on Friday.  They are still receiving the same amount of credits as most people, but they just engineered their schedules so they'd have Fridays free!  ISIS is very simple to navigate and it's a lot of fun to create your own schedule.

As for the actual classes...when you pick a major it's a lot easier to pick classes due to requirements and such.  Before you chose a major, however, I'd say just search around in a bunch of different departments that interest you and take classes that fulfill various distribution requirements.

Students must declare their major by the end of their sophomore year -- this is to ensure that they have enough time to complete all of the requirements for their desired major.  So basically you can go undecided for two years before you need to pick.

The search is fun and exciting.  I wish you the best of luck!  Please write with any further questions, I'd be happy to answer them!!
-JHU_Lucie

JHU_Admin

• Administrator
Re: Meet JHU_Lucie - Scarsdale, NY
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 01:26 PM »
A series of questions and answers previously posted to JHU_Lucie's thread accidentally were removed. Here they are now:

Posted by Naomi_Ali on July 3, 2011
Hi Lucie,

Thanks for taking time to answer questions. I am interested in biology/psychology, as well as the Writing Seminars major. I was wondering if you can specialize within the Writing Seminars major? And, if it is possible to specialize in journalism? Thank you.

~Naomi Ali, prospective student

Hi Naomi,

I'm not sure if the policy continues today, but when I was accepted to Hopkins, the Writing Seminars department was split into two "tracks"--Fiction & Poetry. Writing Seminars majors were required to choose a track to go down. As I said, I don't know if this is still true. I've heard from a few people that they're doing away with the "tracks," but I don't have a definitive answer for you. If you check out the academics section of the JHU Undergraduate website, they may have updated their information.

As for specializing in journalism...I'm fairly certain that they wouldn't let you "specialize" per say in journalism, but you'd definitely be able to take a LOT of journalism classes. That way, when you apply for a job, you'll have all of your journalism "related coursework" on your resumé, and you can say that you "concentrated" in journalism even if it's not officially recognized by the university.

I hope I could help you! I'm happy to answer any more questions.

Anni

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 12:45 PM »
Hey Lucie! :)

I got accepted to JHU and am very eager to go there. However, I've read quite a lot about Baltimore and heard people saying "Oh Gosh, this city is so dangerous!" etc. As I come from Germany, I did not have the chance to visit the campus, so I'd like to know whether you as a student feel safe on campus/ downtown. I know it seems to be quite a weird question because every big city is dangerous, but I've heard that Baltimore's crime rate was extraordinarily high and that a few people related to the university have even been killed (I'm not sure whether that's true, I hope you can tell me :)).

I'm sorry I'm asking you all that stuff, but my mum's really worried to send me thousands of kilometers away without knowing that I'm ABSOLUTELY safe ;).

Thank you in advance for reading all my questions!

Anni :)

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Hi Anni!

First of all, thanks for reaching out with a question! I, myself, shared your fears before coming to Hopkins.

Baltimore, like any other city, has its dangerous areas. There are neighborhoods around the city that Hopkins students are discouraged from visiting.  On the other hand, there are so many great things about Baltimore that many prospective students don't know!

When I came to Hopkins as a freshman and discovered how awesome and charming this city is, I created a video series about Baltimore.  It's called "Learn More, See More, B'More" and it's for prospective just like you who are concerned about the city.  You can watch all of the episodes that we've produced so far here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2AAEE6559F896FBD&feature=plcp

Feel free to ask me any more questions! I hope I could you.

Lucie
-JHU_Lucie

shethkrishna

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 01:35 PM »
Hi Lucie,

OMG it's amazing that both you and your twinn got accepted to JHU; you guys must be having a blast together! I am applying ED to JHU this year and was wondering whether a campus visit would boost my chances of acceptance. I live like 10 mins away from NYC and due to the rough times my family has been undergoing the past two years, driving 4 hours to visit JHU hasn't been possible. When you visited JHU, did you travel alone (or with your twin) by train.

Thank you for your helpp!
Krishna

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Hi Krishna!

I don't think JHU keeps track of visitors the way other universities often do, so I doubt it would boost your chances of acceptance.  Regardless, I would highly suggest you visit the campus if possible! It's absolutely beautiful and if you book an Amtrak train from NYC's Penn Station far enough in advance it's not too expensive.  When I visited, I went with my parents and my twin sister by train.  It's only about 2.5 hours from NYC which is the perfect length to get some work done on your way to and from school. I really hope you can come visit--I'm studying abroad in London this fall but I'll be back in the spring and would LOVE to show you around!

I hope I could help. Read my blog if you're interested (http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/lucie/) and feel free to ask any other questions whenever you'd like.

Lucie
-JHU_Lucie

shethkrishna

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 11:32 PM »
Hey Lucie!
Thank you so much for getting back to me! I think I might just book a ticket and hopefully make my way down there if my parents approve! Honestly, all the people I have talked to on this forum are beyond helpful! Also, thank you for offering to show me around; ialready t makes me feel so welcome!

I have actually really enjoyed reading your profile...OMG chocolate is also my bff! As per the blog, your pictures and format are AMAZING! Aww I wish I could be there, let alone study there. So is studying abroad the same tuition and all for studying at Hopkins? Does Hopkins have an abroad university like NYU?

Also, since you are majoring in writing, do you happen to know how much emphasis Hopkins puts on the common app essays? I've been revising my essay for months now trying to make it perfect. I don't know anyone who got accepted to Hopkins to have revise it for me and guide me in the right direction. I've been reading the "essays that worked" on the JHU website but can't seem to formulate mine like of those. Do you have any advice? Is it better if I just get my application in early rather than perfecting the essay too much?

Thank you!
Krishna

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 08:54 AM »
Krishna,

It's great that you're feeling so welcome already! Everyone at Hopkins (particularly those students on SAAB) are extremely happy to see visitors on campus--we love our university!

Thanks so much for the nice comments about my blog. Chocolate IS the best, isn't it?! To answer your question, tuition for studying abroad is a bit less than a regular semester at Hopkins. Hopkins has various study abroad programs. You can find out more information about them on the Study Abroad website: http://web.jhu.edu/study_abroad/index2.html.  Students are encouraged to participate in JHU programs, but most choose to filter into other universities' programs. I, for example, am studying abroad through a Boston University program.

Although I work in the Admission Office, students are not given insider information into the application process, so I can't tell you with certainty how much emphasis the university will put on your common app essay. Do your best--I'd say it's more important to write a good essay than it is to turn it in early.

Feel free to ask anything else! I'm always available.

Lucie
-JHU_Lucie

shethkrishna

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 04:15 PM »
What isn't there to love about Hopkins, right? It has great programs, no core curriculum requirements, amazing research opportunities...

Wait, so you WORK for the undergrad Admissions Office?! Does that mean you'll probably review my application? Do all the other students on the forums also work for the Admission Office? Sorry for all these questions; you just caught me off guard. I thought you just an a student!

Thank you! I will definitely put more emphasis on the common app essay than on sending in my application asap.

Krishna

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 09:29 AM »
Krisha,

There's NOTHING to not love about Hopkins! Haha.

I "work" for the Undergraduate Admissions Office in that I write blogs for the university and I'm paid for the "Learn More, See More, B'More" videos that I create and host: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2AAEE6559F896FBD.

Students, however, are not part of the application process, so I will not be reviewing your application. Other students on SAAB also write blogs for the university. The Student Admissions Advisory Board is made up of current students (about 10 from each grade) who act as liaisons between prospective students and the university.

Lucie
-JHU_Lucie

shethkrishna

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Hi Lucie!

That makes sense that you write for university blogs though it would have been fab if you came across my application out of the thousands of students that apply!

The more I visit your blog and profile, the more I learn about your life at JHU (don't worry I'm not a stalker, I promise!:]) I just recently learned that you were originally a neuroscience major on the med track before you switched to Writing Seminars! Seriously, we have so much in common! I also hope to apply with an intended neuroscience major. Guidance counselors and teachers say that applying with a declared major in neuroscience puts me at a disadvantage, hence making it harder for me to get accepted to JHU since it's ranked top for neuro. Is there any truth to that or are those just some myths?

Thank you for getting back to me all the time!
Krishna

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 06:34 AM »
Krishna,

I'm actually not 100% sure about that. I know that, in recent years, Hopkins has tried to expand its liberal arts departments and therefore has had an easier time accepting students interested in the arts. However, I'm a firm believer in telling the truth on your application. It's unfair for other students who are actually interested in the arts for students interested in neuroscience to fake a liberal arts interest just to get accepted. If you look good on paper and come across well in your essay, hopefully you'll get accepted for neuroscience just because of how smart you are!

Good luck! And no problem...I love answering questions! Any more?

Lucie
-JHU_Lucie

shethkrishna

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 01:36 PM »
Lucie!
All this time I've been planning on applying as a neuroscience major but my friends are planning on applying as a different major in order to increase their chances of acceptance. Their talk started to lure me to apply as an undecided major but honestly, I truly agree with what you said and will apply as my intended major! I really want to pursue a field in neuroscience and haven't had second thoughts, so I think I might just go for it!

As of now, I have no questions left to ask but will definitely let you know! Thanks for being to receptive! By the way, the icon to your forum changed color, yay!
Thank you so much for all your help!  And I hope you enjoy London!

Krishna

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 02:01 PM »
Krishna,

Sounds good! How exciting that you already know what you want to do. Just remember, I went into Hopkins 100% certain I wanted to study neuroscience, and here I am today studying writing and media! Things can always change. Be prepared!

Talk soon!

Lucie
-JHU_Lucie

shethkrishna

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Hey Lucie!

I have been wondering, what is the difference between cognitive science, behavioral science, and neuroscience? I read through each major's pages in the hopkins website but am a little confused.

Thanks!
Krishna

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 05:26 PM »
Hi Krishna,

Cognitive science is the study of the mind and its processes.  It focuses on how information is processed within the human nervous system.  Behavioral science focuses on organisms and the way they interact with one another in the natural world.  Much of it is about drawing observation-based conclusions. Lastly, neuroscience--which is closely related to biology--studies the nervous system.  My favorite class at Hopkins thus far was called "Introduction to Cognitive Neuropsychology."  Much of the course was strictly neuroscience and taught us the various parts of the brain and spinal cord, but the other part of the course focused on perception and cognition. I learned a lot of really cool things and very much enjoyed it.

Hope that helped!

Lucie
-JHU_Lucie

shethkrishna

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Lucie!
Yes, that makes much more sense! So Cognitive science is more about how information is processed WITHIN the human nervous system whereas Neuroscience is the nervous system as a whole, right? Is one just a subsection of another or are they just awfully similar majors? That sounds like an amazing class- the three majors I've been deciding from for a while (neuroscience, psychology, and lately cognitive science). Must have been one blast of a class!

Thanks!
Krishna

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 04:22 PM »
Krishna,

The majors overlap a bit but they're definitely different subjects. And Introduction to Cognitive Neuropsychology was such an amazing class!

Lucie
-JHU_Lucie

young_na97

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Hi Lucie!

I am currently a freshman in highschool so I will be a sophomore next year. I would like to ask you about the classes I should be taking in high school. I want to major in Premed or either Neuroscience (Something related to the medical field). I'm also interested in German.

These are the classes I'm taking right now as a freshman:
- Freshman Band (Clarinet)
- German 2
- Honors U.S. Studies
- Honors Biology
- Honors Algebra 1
- Honors English 9
- Gym/Art 1

As a sophomore I'll be taking:
- Wind Ensemble or Symphonic Band
- German 4 (I will be skipping German 3, because I'm practically fluent in the language. I lived in Germany for 10 years.)
- Honors World Studies
- AP Biology
- Honors Geometry
- Honors Algebra 2
- Honors English 10

Based on this and YOUR experience in high school, I would like to know if I'm on the right path. What classes did you take during your high school years?
Another question I have is, if I'm taking AP Calculus AB, AP Chemistry, and AP Physics C, and AP English, etc. during my senior year, will colleges still see me as an accelerated student?

Also, what was your class rank along with GPA? Please give me suggestions so I can prepare early. Thanks!

Young

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 12:13 PM »
Hi Young,

I'm sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner. First of all, I'd like to applaud you and let you know that you are WAY ahead of most people your age when it comes to considering opportunities for the future. When I was a freshman (and even a sophomore) in high school, I hadn't even started looking at colleges or attempting to tailor my class schedule in any way towards what I wanted to study later in life--I had no idea what I wanted to major in until my sophomore year at Hopkins!

Your classes look great and very advanced considering your year in high school. I honestly don't even remember what courses I took in high school with the exception of my junior/senior years when I took AP Macroeconomics, AP Statistics, and AP Calc AB. I finished high school with a 4.0. My school didn't do class rankings so I couldn't tell you that.

If I could give you a piece of advice, it would be to make sure that your application stands out in more aspects than just academics. There are plenty of strong students applying to Hopkins, and the admissions office is really trying to take well-rounded students who are going to enhance the campus atmosphere; high test scores and advanced classes aren't everything!

Good luck with everything and please let me know if you have any more questions. Take a deep breath, though...you still have three years before you really need to worry about this!

Lucie
-JHU_Lucie

young_na97

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Thank you!

Did you participate in any athletics?