Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Noah - Houston, TX  (Read 29845 times)

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Noah - Houston, TX
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:46 AM »
The original "Meet JHU_Noah post was accidentally deleted, so I've reposted everything from that thread here. I've updated a few things about my first post, like my classes for the Fall and Spring Semester. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Howdy, y’all!
My name is Noah Guiberson, and I am from Houston, Texas! I am double majoring in Molecular & Cellular Biology and Neuroscience, and I'd like to pursue an MS in MCB or Neuro in my fourth or fifth year, depending on how things shake out.

Why Hopkins
I decided that I could suffer through questions like, “What is John Hopkin?” and “Why in the world was this guy named Johns?”, in order to be a part of the most legendary congregation of scientific aptitude in the history of modern medical research.

My Classes

Fr. Fall [X denotes classes I dropped when I was hospitalized during a prolonged illness, no worries though. I'm fine :)]
Gen. Physics I for Biological Sciences X
Gen. Physics I Lab X
Calculus II for Engineers X
Intro. Chemistry I
Intro. Chemistry I Lab
Introduction to Neuroscience

Fr. Intersession:
Foreign Gene Expression Lab

Fr. Spring:
Expository Writing: Lofty Praise and Vulgar Accusation in Ancient and Modern Oratory
Early Renaissance Art: Giotto to Leonardo
Intro. Chemistry II
Intro. Chemistry II Lab
Cognitive Neuroscience
Research

So. Fall:
Nervous System I
Organic Chemistry I
Biochemistry
Biochemistry Lab
Research

So. Intersession:
Biology of Neurodegenerative Diseases

So. Spring:
Nervous System II
Organic Chemistry II
Cell Biology
Cell Biology Lab
Research

Jr. Fall:
Honors Single Variable Calculus
Oral Presentations
Disease & Disorders of the Nervous System
Signalling in Development & Disease
Introduction to American Politics

Jr. Intersession:
Neurologic Diseases to Nanoparticles

Jr. Spring:
The Cognitive Science of Religion
Developmental Biology
Developmental Biology Lab
Physics I
Physics I Lab
Neuroscience Lab

Sn. Summer
Probability & Statistics
Physics II

Sn. Fall
Visual System
Mind, Brain & Experience
Physics Lab 2
Genetics
Organic Chemistry Lab

My Extracurriculars
These are some of the things I’m involved in most heavily on campus, thus far:

NeuroJAYS: I'm president of NeuroJAYS, a student organization in which neuroscience majors (as well as other undergraduates interested in neurobiology) meet weekly to discuss some of the most formative papers in the field with Hopkins Neuro faculty. Basically, NeuroJAYS is a neuroscience journal club. We meet in Krieger Hall, and discuss papers and reviews pertaining to a central theme. The mission of NeuroJAYS is to provide undergraduates interested in Neuroscience with a relaxed setting in which the theory and implications of some of the most important articles in the field can be discussed and better understood.

Student Admissions Advisory Board (SAAB): I applied and was accepted to SAAB because I want to help guide prospective Blue Jays toward making the right decision: applying to, and subsequently enrolling at, the Johns Hopkins University. The members of our group (my SAABuddies) are wonderful. It’s great to be able to play a role in shaping the next, best classes of the University I love.

Trivia: I'm on a trivia team with JHU_Nick and JHU_Genevieve. Every week we dominate Tuesday Night Trivia at PJ's Pub in the sense that we are present and that we sometimes answer questions right.

Where I Lived: CHARLES COMMONS (N CHARLES TOWER)
Charles Commons is incredible. It's a mammoth, state-of-the-art dorm that holds a great deal of the sophomore class. When my friends from other colleges visit, their jaws hit the floor. One told me that it was like being in a really nice hotel! In addition to the great dorm facilities, Commons has Nolan's on 33rd, which in my opinion is the pinnacle of campus dining options. It's also right on top of Barnes and Noble and achieves the perfect balance of access to Charles Village (which right out the 33rd Street door) and proximity to campus (Charles Commons is across the street from The Beach)!
Noah Guiberson
Molecular & Cellular Biology/Neuroscience
Class of 2014
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JHU_Noah
Ask me a question: http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2014/meet-jhu_noah/

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Noah
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Rachelle:

Hi Noah!
My name is Rachelle and I applied to Johns Hopkins for the 2011-2012 school year. I chose Neuroscience as my major, and I just wanted to know how you were liking it.
Thanks,
Rachelle(:
Ask me a question: http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2014/meet-jhu_noah/

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Noah
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Eri:

Hello Noah,
My name is Eri and I also applied to Johns Hopkins for the 2011-2012 semester. I am wondering how the Molecular and Cellular Biology part of your double majoring is going and what classes you plan to take on in your sophomore year.
Thanks,
Eri

JHU_Noah:

Hey Eri!
It’s going really well! Right now, there isn’t a lot to do for Mol/Cell because I have to finish Chemistry before moving onto Orgo and Biochem –– the two classes that really open up all of the upper level Biology courses. I’m staying in Baltimore this summer to take Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 as well as Orgo Lab. Then, I’ll be able to take Biochemistry next Fall and Cell Biology next Spring.
The way I have it currently planned out, my Fall semester will consist of:
Nervous System I (3)
Biochemistry (4)
Biochemistry Lab (2)
Research (3)
Honors Single Variable Calculus (3) [I placed into this class and wanted to take it during my freshman fall, but my advisor convinced me that it would be way too much what with my already heavy schedule and commitment to soccer. Then I got really sick and had to drop a bunch of classes anyway, so it was a moot point.]
My Spring semester is a little foggy, in that I don’t know exactly what I’ll be doing…BUT this is my best guess:
Nervous System II (3)
Cell Biology (4)
Cell Biology Lab (2)
Research (3)
(Probably 3 or 6 distribution credits; classes TBD)
I hope that helped!

Eri:

Thanks that actually helped a lot!

I know that JHU uses a Pass/Fail system for the first semester. Would you recommend using AP credits to take more “risky” advanced classes or is it more beneficial to take more background classes before that?

JHU_Noah:

Well, that is very much an individual decision. If you feel like you have already have a solid grasp on the material you’d be skipping by placing out of a class like Chemistry, taking Organic Chemistry under covered grades might be a good idea. But, while it may be tempting to just take the credit and move on to a more advanced topic, remember that your grades will not be covered second semester. If you’re not ready to take a class like Orgo right out of the gate, you might want to consider retaking Intro. Chem. However, these are all things you can discuss at length with your academic advisor–they’re all extremely experienced with this sort of thing and will be able to help you work out the best possible plan for your Freshman Fall.
Now, a bit of personal insight:
I was an IB kid, and I did well enough on the IB Biology Exam to receive credit for Biology I & II as well as Biology Labs 1 & 2. (A guide to the AP/IB scores that merit credit at JHU can be found here: http://apply.jhu.edu/apply/apib.html) I took the credit, but it turned out not to matter. Believe it or not, General Biology is not a required class for either the BS in Mol/Cell Bio OR the BA in Neuroscience, provided that you choose the Cellular & Molecular concentration. General Biology is required, however, if you are pursuing the BA in Biology or the BA in Neuroscience, provided that you choose the Cognitive or Systems concentrations.
So, it depends. Find out what your desired major requires and weigh your options with the help of your advisor.
Since you’re interested in Mol/Cell, this is the link for the Mol/Cell major requirements: http://www.bio.jhu.edu/Undergrad/BSProgram.aspx
And, just for kicks, this is the link to the Neuro major requirements: http://krieger.jhu.edu/neuroscience/undergraduate/major_req.html
I hope I’m two for two in terms of helping you out!
Let me know if you have any other questions!

Eri:

Thanks so much!
Yep, 100%
It is so nice that Hopkins offers a site for prospective students to get real hand accounts from students such as yourself.
Again thank you.

JHU_Noah:

I know, right?
You’re welcome!
Noah Guiberson
Class of 2014

Samantha

Meet JHU_Noah
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Hi Noah!

I was just recently accepted to Johns Hopkins so I'm really excited!

I want to pursue a career in medicine so I would like to major in Molecular/ Cellular Biology or Neuroscience. I wanted to know how busy your schedule was with all of your classes. My biggest fear is that I won't have any free time apart from studying. I'm not new to the concept of studying and working really hard because I've done that all throughout my high school career, I'm just scared that, that is all I'm going to be doing at Johns Hopkins. I want a good education but I also want to have fun. Do you have any advice?

Also I heard that the work load and the grading system and Johns Hopkins are really difficult. How did you adapt to that type of change from high school? I know that I was accepted for a reason being that they know I am well qualified to study here, but I'm worried that I won't be able to "keep up". Did you ever feel that way in the beginning?

Thank you so much!
Samantha

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Noah
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 01:38 PM »
Hey, Samantha!

Firstly, congratulations on your acceptance! Being offered a spot in the Johns Hopkins Class of 2015 is a really, really big deal. This year, we had the lowest acceptance rate in our history, so you should be very proud of yourself! :)

Well, let me say first that it will be very difficult. But, frankly, that's what you've signed on for isn't it? To challenge yourself intellectually in the company of some of the smartest people in the world? You will have to put in the time, that is a given. That said, I'm a Mol/Cell Bio and Neuro double major, who is heavily involved in a number of extracurriculars (like SAAB, SAAC and NeuroJAYS), and who is also a varsity athlete. Never, outside of exam season, have I ever felt like I couldn't go out on the weekends or that I was completely overwhelmed.

You mentioned that you're worried about not having free time; I think you'll find that the hardest part of doing well at any college is utilizing the HUGE amount of free time that you'll have. It's not like high school where you have eight or so hours of class a day...you're going to have (on average, I'd suspect) about 2-3 hours of class a day and a hell of a lot of time to do your own thing. Now, a lot of that time is going to need to be spent studying. And, like I said, the hardest part of adjusting to college life and academics is learning how to use that time efficiently (or, at least, how not to completely waste that time).

So, I may not be the best person to ask about what Hopkins was like at the very beginning--I got really sick and was repeatedly hospitalized during my first semester. But, I can vouch for how incredible the professors are with helping students catch up. Every professor I've had so far, from the huge lectures to the tiny seminars, has been EXTREMELY accessible. Every email I've sent has been promptly responded to, every extension I've ever asked for has been granted, every problem I've had understanding a particularly difficult aspect of a lecture has been clarified without condescension, and every time I visit a professor, I end up staying way longer than I had intended just to chat. If you're really worried about being able to keep up (and I don't think you should be, you sound like you're really well-prepared to do well here), know that you have a whole host of friendly, accessible, world-class faculty at your disposal.

I hope I've helped! Please don't hesitate to follow up or ask any other questions you have!
Noah Guiberson
Class of 2014

Samantha

Meet JHU_Noah
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 02:02 PM »
ahh thank you so much! That really helped!

I had a few other questions though. What are covered grades? Also what exactly do you do in undergraduate research? Is that mandatory for every type of science major?

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Noah
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 04:57 PM »
Good! :D

During your first semester, your grades will be covered. A grade that is covered is one that only you can see. Your first semester grades will appear on your transcript as S (Satisfactory; C- or above) or U (Unsatisfactory; from D- to D+). The idea is to reduce stress during the first semester and to allow students to focus on becoming acquainted with their community instead of being buried in work right away.

I work as a Research Assistant at the School of Medicine in the Institute for Cell Engineering's Neuroregeneration and Stem Cell Biology programs. Really, I do whatever my post-doc needs me to do. Currently, I'm running an experiment during the course of which I've done everything from harvest mouse brains to immunostaining to lesion quantification--none of which I knew how to do before I started researching. Whoever you're working with will teach you everything you need to know!

It's required for most science majors. When it isn't, it's required to graduate with honors in that major. It's a really amazing experience though, and it's really easy for undergrads to get research positions on the Hopkins campuses. Don't let the research requirement turn you away from Mol/Cell or Neuro!
Noah Guiberson
Class of 2014

jhupost

Meet JHU_Noah
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 01:39 AM »
Hey, Noah!
I just had a quick, general question about JHU. I'm seriously considering majoring in Cellular and Molecular Biology and Neuroscience (which is why I'm asking my question to you in particular). How much studying/homework do you do per night? I know that it probably varies from night to night, but what would you say the average is? The reason that I am wondering this is because I am the kind of person that has to work very hard for his grades. Granted, I make pretty darn good grades, but throughout high school I've always had to work much harder and study much longer than my fellow classmates. This, quite obviously, is a serious concern for me, especially since I'm considering attending such a rigorous and demanding (yet rewarding!) college that is Johns Hopkins. Thanks and I appreciate your time!

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Noah
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 12:16 AM »
Howdy!

Yeah, Mol/Cell and Neuro are tough majors to double in, but I haven't found the work entirely overwhelming thus far. I think that next semester, when I take Nervous System I and Biochemistry, it will get a little tougher.

It's good that you know that about yourself. That self-awareness is what's going to help you succeed here. You may need to buckle down more than the average student, but I think you'll find that's for the best anyway! However, I don't think that you'll find the work so time consuming that you won't be able to go out on weekends and enjoy college life.

I would say that I study most of the day in between classes and just relax at night. All of my classes are really interesting, so it really never feels like I'm working, you know?

I hope that helps! Feel free to follow up if it wasn't exactly what you're looking for.

Noah G.
Noah Guiberson
Class of 2014

nwk1120

Re: Meet JHU_Noah - Houston, TX
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Hi,
This is David and  i have applied to the JHU Class of 2016 as an early decision applicant.
I as well want to major in Neuroscience at JHU (As you said, when it comes to biology and neuroscience, not a single university in the nation can beat JHU.) My ultimate goal is becoming a neurosurgeon at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, which is very competitive and HARD to achieve.
I have done a couple of neuroscience related research projects in high school, during which I have learned a lot and was inspired to pursue into the field of neuroscience. So in fact, I have applied to Woodrow Wilson Research Fellowship Program...

Would you be able to kindly elaborate on the program? competitiveness, etc (I found out that you were selected as a Woodrow Fellow)

Thanks

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 02:21 PM »
Hey, David!

First, congrats on applying ED! It's a big commitment, and I'm thrilled that Hopkins is your first choice!

Regarding the Woodrow Wilson Undergraduate Research Fellowship, it is pretty selective. The program exists to identify and support highly qualified undergraduates who are deeply interested in conducting research as undergraduates. They'll ask you to submit a research proposal, which is really more of a statement of research interests, because you are by no means bound pursue the exact project you proposed in your application, nor are you even bound to conduct research in the same field of study. What they're looking for in applicants, I guess, is a sense of focused excitement--an enthusiasm for research as well as the intrinsic motivation and vision to see a project through from conception to publication. You don't have to publish, though, it's up to you what to do with your work at the end of your time here. The program provides you with support and funding, as well as faculty and student mentors to help guide you.

Did that answer your question? Feel free to ask anything else!

Cheers,
Noah G.
Noah Guiberson
Class of 2014

nwk1120

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Hey Noah,
thanks for the well explained reply!!
In terms of research proposal, When I in fact applied for the Woodrow Wilson Fellowship, it did not ask for a proposal or anything... it just asked us to write about our past research experience, etc....
But I heard that people had to write a proposal when applying for the fellowship, so I thought that I would just start out my proposal now...
By the way, do we get to choose our research mentor?? do they have to be JHU faculty?

Thanks,
David

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 10:24 AM »
Right, on the WWURFP application, it says: "In the space below, please provide an example of a possible project you might choose to pursue if selected as a Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow. Feel free to discuss past projects you have completed or work of which you are especially proud in your explanation." That's what I meant by the research proposal. Sorry for the confusion!

If you are selected, you will have the opportunity to select a faculty mentor. They do have to be Hopkins faculty.

Best of luck to you!
Noah Guiberson
Class of 2014

kitkat

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 01:34 PM »
Hi Noah!

I saw on your blog that you went to summer session before starting your freshman year. :) I have a couple questions about that, as I'm an admitted student considering taking summer session as well!

-How was adjusting to college level classes? I'm really excited by the possibility of arriving at Hopkins a month or two early, but at the same time I'm a little worried that adjusting the demands of college courses could be difficult, or at least jarring, especially since the courses are compressed from a semester to a month!
-How was adjusting to campus life over the summer? Was there any orientation to help freshmen (pre-freshmen?) students get acquainted with the campus? Also, are the freshmen grouped together in the dorms or is everyone spread out among the pre-college, regular Hopkins and visiting students?

Thanks! :)

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Hey!

Firstly, congratulations on your acceptance! Welcome Home(wood)! :)

I took Introduction to  Bioethics and Foundations of Modern Political Philosophy. I wouldn't say that the workload was significantly higher than I would have had for a similar class in high school (although I was IB, which was pretty rough, I guess), but what I did notice was that the level of critical analysis and depth of understanding that you were expected to achieve and bring to discussions was on a whole new level.

Your courses are compressed, but remember that you're also only taking one or two courses. So you're really not spending MORE time studying per credit than you would be during the semester. Overall, I'd say that it's really not that bad, but you should expect to spend a lot of time reading treatises and writing essays. I know it sounds weird, but the rising freshmen at SummerHop just sort of naturally congregated at the library all day. It was a nice, central place to hang out and study, and we had a great time.

Yeah, it was exciting! I got to familiarize myself with campus early on, so it was really nice to be able to show my friends where their classes were when classes started in the Fall.

So, my year stayed in Buildings A & B with the high schoolers, but they moved the program to Wolman Hall (which is awesome). You'll still be with all the high school kids, but you really aren't expected to do all the programs directed at them--especially if you're 18.

Let me just say in conclusion that no matter what your reservations are I recommend doing this. It was an excellent decision, and I'm really glad I did it. Plus, I got to move into Wolman a few days before everyone else got to campus in the Fall, because...well...I was just there haha.

I hope I answered everything! Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions!

Noah Guiberson
Class of 2014

kitkat

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 07:57 AM »
Thanks for all the information! It was really helpful, and I can't wait to go Home(wood)! :)

By the way, I just had a question regarding how you said that you were able to move in a few days early. I'm a little confused since I read somewhere that Housing shuts down all the dorms after summer session to prepare for Orientation. Did you request to Housing if you could move in earlier? Because one of my biggest concerns about attending summer session is the logistics of moving in and out with all my luggage since I'll be flying in from overseas, so being able to leave my stuff in the dorms or move in early would be great.

Thanks!

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 01:16 PM »
Yeah, so, funny story...the summer session ended around August 5th or 6th (something like that). I had been recruited to the soccer team, so I was to move into Wolman on or around the 19th.

I moved into Wolman on the 17th (that much I remember), after emailing Housing and explaining my circumstances. However, for the interim of about two weeks, a close friend of mine (who was, at the time, a rising Senior) offered to let me stay in his room at his fraternity's house--which I did.

Obviously, there's no guarantee that you'll be that lucky, but there's always a way to figure things out.

If your biggest problem is whether or not you'll have to take all your stuff back overseas with you, there are definitely low-cost storage rental options that cater to students and that can hold onto your stuff until you get back. You might even befriend an upperclassman who will let you store your stuff in his/her basement. No matter what, you'll be okay.
Noah Guiberson
Class of 2014

kitkat

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Thanks so much for you time and help! :) The storage option sounds like just what I need, too, so that's great to know.

yishao2012

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 03:57 PM »
Hi Noah!

My name is Yi (but most people call me Annie), and I'm extremely excited to be admitted as part of JHU's Class of 2016.  Your posts have been really helpful in demonstrating what makes a JHU student well-rounded.

The only aspect that makes me incredibly nervous about choosing JHU is the academics.  Is there a correlation between working very hard and doing well in your courses?  It seems logical that JHU is tougher than high school, but I'm worried that JHU will be beyond my abilities (since high school was already stressful for me).  I do struggle with testing a bit more than my peers, but studying hard has helped me a lot.  Has there ever been a moment in college when you thought "I'm trying hard, but it's not enough?" Also, do covered grades apply only to first semester freshmen year?

In addition, I would like to pursue a Neuroscience major, but (to be completely honest) I have little background knowledge aside from high school AP Biology and Chemistry.  I will actually be visiting the campus this Thurs. and Fri. (5th-6th), as well as some classes. Are there any classes that you recommend sitting in on?

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this, and have a great Easter!
Cheers, Annie :o)

P.S. It made me smile to see that you say "y'all" a lot.  Being from New Orleans, I can say with a smile: Thank y'all.

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 11:22 AM »
Annie,

I'm really glad that my posts have been helpful. In any arena, there's a correlation between working very hard and doing well--particularly at Hopkins. I would amend that only by saying that brute force studying will get you nowhere. It matters both that you study hard and that you study well. There a lot of classes (like Organic Chemistry) that are not only going to demand a lot of you, but also of your ability to study efficiently and effectively. It is possible to cram for OChem for 5 hours and learn nothing. Likewise, it is possible to approach the same information methodically and from a number of angles and develop an excellent conceptual grasp of it. It matters how you study, not just that you do.

Nonetheless, if you ever feel like you're "trying hard, but it's not enough", there are a number of resources at your disposal. First among them is to talk to your professor. They'll be eager to help you overcome whatever barrier you feel you're stuck behind. Second is the Learning Den. The LD is a completely free and widely acclaimed tutoring service. It's made up mostly of graduate students and upperclassmen who did extremely well in the class. You can meet with them as often as you'd like to get help and advice. Third is to speak with your academic advisor (freshman/sophomore year) or your departmental advisor (from your major; declared by the end of your sophomore year). They are extremely familiar with the challenges that students in your position have faced as well as how they managed to overcome them. Fourth is to seek out a friend who you know to have done well in the class and ask them whether or not they'd be willing to help you out. I did this just recently, and she gave me a lot of good advice about how to study that has pretty drastically improved my performance. The thing to take away from this is that should you ever feel like you're stuck, you'll have an extremely helpful community to back you up.

Yes, covered grades apply only to your Freshman Fall. You can, however, choose to take a class pass/fail if it is not required for your major (you will either receive an S for Satisfactory or a U for Unsatisfactory, and it will not be factored into your GPA). Ask your academic advisor about this option--I don't want to lead you astray. Although I've used it before, I'm not 100% sure how it works.

If you've taken Chemistry AND AP Biology, then you're technically in a better place than I was. I had never taken a chemistry class before Hopkins, and I had to work pretty hard to overcome that. I did however take IB Biology HL and one of our Options was Neurobiology and Behavior. That didn't give me an advantage so much as it sparked my interest and sharpened my focus. I'm sure you'll be just fine. :)

I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you before you visited campus! I would have advised you to sit in on Cognitive Neuroscience and Nervous System II.

It wasn't a problem at all! Thanks for writing me! And I'm glad you appreciate "y'all". It's a magical contraction. :)

Please let me know if you have any other questions! I'd be happy to help!
Noah Guiberson
Class of 2014

miguel

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 01:46 PM »
Hey Noah!

My name is Miguel, I'm from Portugal, and I just wanted to start by thanking you. You gave me and my family a tour of JHU a couple of weeks ago, and I loved it (I don't know if you remember, but you spoke two sentences in Portuguese because you had a Brazilian girlfriend or something - "Oi tudo bem com você?" and "Eu amo você" , if I recall correctly).  :D

By the way, you're like the greatest tour guide ever, keep up the awesome work! One of the main reasons I'm thinking of applying to Hopkins is because of how convincing and comprehensive the tour you gave was and how excited you are about being a student at Hopkins.

I read somewhere on your forum you took the IB. I'm currently taking the IB as well, and was wondering if you could answer a few questions about the role it played in your application to JHU.

How does JHU view the IB in general? I know it's recognized as challenging and everything, but is AP preferred or anything like that?

How does JHU treat predicted grades? As you know, the IB exams are only at the end of senior year, so, are the high school transcripts and predicted grade equally, or how is it done in terms of assessing the grades themselves? And, that you know of, based on your own predicted grade and stuff and grades from other people who took the IB and are at Hopkins, what would you say is the general number of points most successful JHU IB applicants have as their predicted grades?

How feasible is double majoring at Hopkins? Is double majoring in something like you're doing - neuroscience and molecular and cellular biology - doable or is the workload overwhelming?

Thanks in advance for your help, and keep giving awesome tours and inspiring students like me to apply to Hopkins!

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Hey, Miguel!

I definitely remember that, haha. You are absolutely welcome! Thank you for all the kind words about my tour! :D

I'm really happy that you're considering applying to Hopkins! It's an amazing place.

Yes, I was IB. AP is not preferred over IB in the admissions process. What we want to see is that you've taken the most challenging possible curriculum that your school offers. If your school only offers AP classes, take those. If your school only offers the IB programme, do that. If your school offers both, choose the program that suits you best. But definitely take the most challenging classes that you can.

Predicted grades are irrelevant to us. We don't offer tentative admission based on projected IB scores like many of the European universities do. The only time your scores matter is in determining whether you're going to get college credit. For HL Math, the HL Sciences and the major HL Languages, you can get a 6 or a 7. You can find out more here: http://apply.jhu.edu/apply/apib.html

Double majoring is absolutely doable. Hopkins doesn't have a core curriculum, so you've got a lot more time to complete classes for a second major than you would if you had to take a year of Classics, Greek, Great Books, Latin, Classics and Classics...know what I mean? However, for breadth's sake, Hopkins instituted the Distribution Requirements--30 credits from academic areas outside your own. You can pick any class, so long as it's not in the same distribution area as your major. So, if you're a neuroscience major, you'll have to take at least 18 credits of Humanities and Social Sciences (about 6 classes) and up to 12 from Engineering and Quantitative (about 4 classes). You can just take 30 credits of H and S courses if you'd like. The important thing is that you get to choose ANY classes that you want, so long as they're not related to your major.

I hope that answered all of your questions, I just came back from a tour and am exhausted. I fear that I'll read over this in a few hours and be shocked at how poorly I communicated, but I'm sure it'll be fine, haha.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope you do end up applying.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Noah Guiberson
Class of 2014

yishao2012

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Hi Noah!

I am an incoming freshman this fall, and I would really really like to be involved with SAAB; it has been the most helpful source of advice, support, and humor for me.  I am currently working on the application and was wondering how SAAB-ers used different social media (i.e. Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest) in their activities.

Thanks, Annie

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Hey, Annie!

First, Congratulations on your acceptance! The Class of 2016 is shaping up to be great, and we're really excited to have you!

SAAB is awesome. I totally recommend that you apply. We use social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter in order to reach out to individual prospective applicants in media with which they are most familiar. The principal way we do that is blogging about student life. Beyond that, the c/o 201x Facebook groups have proven useful in persuading admitted students to choose us over all the other wonderful schools to which they were also admitted, as well as in shepherding the incoming class once it's been finalized.

With regard to other, more obscure social media platforms, it's all about utility and return. The issue to consider is whether we can make a presence for ourselves in a new medium that will be useful and show results.

We've also taken a recent interest in video that I hope to see expand and flourish.

I hope that helped. Good luck with your application!
Noah Guiberson
Class of 2014

shethkrishna

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 01:28 PM »
Hi Noah!

I am a die hard JHU fan and am hoping to attend there next year. I'm applying ED and am truly interested in the neuroscience/biology program. As per naviance, only two student from my school have been accepted to JHU. I understand getting accepted to JHU for bio/neuroscience is extremely hard and requires stellar EC, SATs and GPA. Do you think i have a greater chance of getting accepted to JHU if I change my intended major to maybe undecided?

Thank you for your time!
Krishna