Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Trisha - Lower Gwynedd, PA  (Read 16655 times)

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Trisha - Lower Gwynedd, PA
« on: September 26, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Hi there! I'm Trisha from Lower Gwynedd, PA. I am majoring in Neuroscience and I am so excited to be a part of the Hopkins Class of 2014!

-----------------------------------------

WHY HOPKINS?
I chose to come to Hopkins because of its amazing Undergraduate Neuroscience Program. However, after starting classes, I have realized that Hopkins has so much more to offer. The atmosphere is very relaxed, and while the courses are much more difficult than my high school classes, Professors, TAs, and other students are more than willing to help you out. The University has tons of clubs and opportunities for you to explore many different majors and ease the path to learning more about what exactly you want to do with your life!

FRESHMAN YEAR

FALL 2010
Freshman Seminar: From Genes to DNA and Back
Intro to Cognitive Neuropsychology
Expository Writing: Archaeology, Politics, and the Uses of the Past
Calculus III
General Physics for Biological Science Majors
General Physics Lab I

SPRING 2011
Cognitive Neuroscience
Research
General Physics for Biological Science Majors II
General Physics Lab II
Introduction to Social Psychology
Fiction, Poetry, and Writing I

SOPHOMORE YEAR

FALL 2011:
Nervous System 1
Organic Chemistry I
Organic Chemistry Lab
Research
History of Medicine

SPRING 2012:
Nervous System 2
Organic Chemistry II
Research
Probability and Statistics for the Life Sciences
Classics of Political Thought II

JUNIOR YEAR
FALL 2012:
Biochemistry
Biochemistry Lab
Intro to Psychology
Research
Diseases and Disorders of the Nervous System

SPRING 2013:
Cell Biology
Cell Biology Lab
Research
Altered States of Consciousness
Brain Injury and Recovery

SENIOR YEAR
FALL 2013
Genetics
Genetics Lab
Neuroscience Laboratory
Research
Neural Basis of Cognitive Control

---------------------------------------

My Activities:
SAAB (Student Admissions Advisory Board) This clubs brings you the Hopkins Forums, Facebook Groups, Twitter Updates, etc! It's a great way to get involved in admissions and gain insight into the mysterious admissions department you wondered about during college application season!

HASA (Hopkins Association for Stroke Awareness) This club works at Health Fairs by taking blood pressures, providing recipes for healthier living and information on recognizing the signs of a stroke. Additionally, members get to volunteer at the Hopkins and educate patients in the Brain Rescue Unit on reducing their chances of getting another stroke.

UNSC (Undergraduate Neuroscience Steering Committee) This organization is comprised of several representatives from each graduating class and acts as a liaison between the Neuroscience Committee and students to improve the major curriculum.

Ataxia Ambassadors: This club volunteers in the ward, and coordinates the annual Arts for Ataxia Picnic. In addition, we fundraise and raise awareness for the degenerative neurological disorder Ataxia.

Research: I have been conducting research since my freshman year. I started with clinical research at the medical campus, working with speech deficit patients in the stroke ward of the hospital. Since then, I have been working in other labs on the process of neurogenesis, or the growth of new neurons. This research has great implications on learning and memory, and I am excited to develop my current project, which focuses on the molecular level of synaptic interactions, further!
-------------------------------------------------

Where I Live:

FRESHMAN YEAR
AMR I! Known as the "social dorms", I live in a single dorm room, but there are also doubles available. The dorm is split into "houses", and I live in Royce House, with an RA on the bottom floor. It's roomy and comfortable to live in!

SOPHOMORE YEAR
I live in McCoy! The dorms here are suite-style, with two doubles, a kitchenette and a bathroom. It's actually a great dorm, and I really love living here!

JUNIOR YEAR and SENIOR YEAR
This year, I have moved out of the dorms and into an apartment! I live really close to campus, and love the spacious apartment I share with my two roomates!

To learn more about my life at Hopkins, read my blog Welcome to Lalaland! http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/trisha/
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

Hopkins15

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Hey Trisha!
I'm from the Philly suburbs too yayy
I'm undecided between chem/bio/neuroscience and I saw a lot of the classes you took in the fall were the same as a lot ofthe ones i have been looking at.
What was it like taking Physics freshman year? Did you take it because you were using AP credits for your other sciences?
Also, what was your experience like in Calc III (I was thinking about that too)

Thanks!

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Heyy Hopkins 15- first off, CONGRATS ON DECIDING TO BECOME A BLUE JAY!!

So choosing a major can be extremely difficult- I vacillated a lot by the end of the year. There are just a TON of things to consider, like rigor, GPA, how important study abroad is to you, etc. To be clear, there is not a lot of wiggle room in the Neuroscience major- at least for your first 2 years at Hopkins, you will sort of be forced to take some basic classes (of course freshman year you can take some fun classes to experiment- and you definitely should do so!!).

Here's what I took Spring Term 2011:
Physics 2
Physics Lab 2
Cognitive Neuroscience (required for Neuro major)
Intro to Social Psych
Research
IFP 1

(16 credits)

I'm going to be honest when I say that I absolutely hated physics...but I think most of that had to do with the somewhat lacking foundation I had from high school. It definitely is manageable, but is, in my opinion, a lot more work than Bio and Chem. (and yes, I took Physics because I had AP credit for Bio and Chem). It's totally up to you- I think no matter when you take the class, it will be challenging. I think it is smarter to take it your freshman year so it doesn't coincide with Orgo, Biochem, Nervous Systems, etc.

I took Calc 3 because I had AP credit for Calc 1&2 and stat. It was also challenging. I found that most students either understood almost all concepts or didn't really get anything that was going on. I was in the middle- some concepts were easier than others. I think it's just so different from any other math that I have taken that it was slightly difficult to get used to it- consider taking it spring term of your freshman year if you want.
If you do end up deciding to go Neuro- remember that there is a stat class required that is a one term class. It might be smarter to just take it instead of calc 3 and be done with math forever!! haha

Ok-here's what I am taking next term:

Orgo 1
Orgo Lab
Nervous Systems 1
Research

(15 credits)

As you can see, I had a little less leeway in my selection of classes because orgo and nervous systems are not only high credit-wise, but are also rigorous. I tried to maintain a balance so that I could manage everything.

The only other advice I can give you is to try to experiment a little with your classes first term! Grades are covered!!

For more information about the neuroscience program, check out- http://undergradneurosci.jhu.edu/

It'll give you all the information about requirements and sample courseloads for your consideration!

Good luck picking classes, and feel free to ask me more questions!!
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Admin

• Administrator
Re: Meet JHU_Trisha - Lower Gwynedd, PA
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 02:03 PM »
A series of questions and answers previously posted to JHU_Trisha's thread accidentally were removed. Here they are now:

Posted by Kim on June 25, 2011
Hi Trisha,

I am a rising senior who will be applying to JHU ED! I am aiming to be a neuroscience major and I am curious as to whether or not you had any neuroscience background before you decided on your major. Some sort of experience or something that peaked your interest? Also, how did you become involved in SAAB and writing blogs?? Is it very competitive (there's not many people from each class who actually have their own blog, I noticed) and what is the selection process like? This site helped me learn a lot about the school and I'd like to try to have a blog if I got into JHU! so I can write about my experiences (which I am sure will be wonderful, judging by all the blogs I've read:)
Thanks!
Kim

Hey Kim!

Choosing neuroscience was a little tricky, and a couple of things went into my decision. I didn't really have any experience in neuroscience besides my AP science classes in high school. However, in my AP Bio class we watched a documentary on neurosurgery, plasticity, and neurogenesis, and the radical procedures and the delicacy of the brain sparked my interest in the field. I started doing some research on the field in general and read about doctors Ramachandran who did some really cool work with cortical reorganization. I basically tried to immerse myself in the field and loved it!

SAAB is a really great way to get involved at Hopkins- students learn more about it when they are accepted. There is an application process. There are students from each year in it, and we each regularly blog. It's not competitive at all!

Hope that helps- good luck with all your applications!

***********************************************************************************

Posted by vaishnavi5 on July 12, 2011
Hello Trisha!

I am going to be a senior this year and I would love to be able to attend JHU! I actually want to major in neuroscience in college too, and I have just a couple of questions.

So at JHU, is double majoring and/or major and minor really common among students?
And, do you do any research in any of the labs? Are there a lot of opportunities for research for freshman?

Thanks!

Hey!

Hopkins is a great place for Neuroscience- the program is incredible, especially combined with the fact that we don't have a core curriculum. It's a great way to be able to explore and expose yourself to Neuroscience.

Double majoring/ minoring is very common at Hopkins! In fact, some of the other members of this group, like Wafa and Joe, are Neuroscience and History of Science and Technology majors and Neuroscience and Psychology majors respectively. There are TONS of other combinations of majors and minors you can make once you explore the classes offered at Hopkins. A good way to try to figure this out first term if you attend Hopkins is to take a wide range of classes to see what you enjoy!

Doing research seemed to be a daunting task at first, but it's actually the easiest way to get involved at Hopkins. A simple email of interest is all that is required to get you started. I started researching my spring term last year (my freshman year) , but I think that I could have begun researching the Fall of my freshman year as well! I researched for the head of Neurology at JHMI last term and will be researching for a lab on campus and at JHMI next term!

Good luck with your college search and definitely consider Hopkins for Neuroscience or whatever major you decide on!! Feel free to ask any other questions you may have!!

***********************************************************************************

Posted by vaishnavi5 on July 12, 2011
Hello Trisha!

I am going to be a senior this year and I would love to be able to attend JHU! I actually want to major in neuroscience in college too, and I have just a couple of questions.

So at JHU, is double majoring and/or major and minor really common among students?
And, do you do any research in any of the labs? Are there a lot of opportunities for research for freshman?

Thanks!

Hey!

Hopkins is a great place for Neuroscience- the program is incredible, especially combined with the fact that we don't have a core curriculum. It's a great way to be able to explore and expose yourself to Neuroscience.

Double majoring/ minoring is very common at Hopkins! In fact, some of the other members of this group, like Wafa and Joe, are Neuroscience and History of Science and Technology majors and Neuroscience and Psychology majors respectively. There are TONS of other combinations of majors and minors you can make once you explore the classes offered at Hopkins. A good way to try to figure this out first term if you attend Hopkins is to take a wide range of classes to see what you enjoy!

Doing research seemed to be a daunting task at first, but it's actually the easiest way to get involved at Hopkins. A simple email of interest is all that is required to get you started. I started researching my spring term last year (my freshman year) , but I think that I could have begun researching the Fall of my freshman year as well! I researched for the head of Neurology at JHMI last term and will be researching for a lab on campus and at JHMI next term!

Good luck with your college search and definitely consider Hopkins for Neuroscience or whatever major you decide on!! Feel free to ask any other questions you may have!!

Posted by vaishnavi5 on July 27, 2011
Hi! (again)

If you don't mind, I have a few more questions.

So, what type of research were you doing and will you be doing next year?
Which classes helped you most from high school to best prepare you for JHU? (I realize that college classes are not the same as high school classes though.)
How often did you go home?
And, do you plan on studying abroad? If so, where?

Thanks so much, Trisha! I really appreciate it!

Hey!

I conducted a clinical research project at JHMI on speech deficits and their biological and verbal manifestations last term (so how patients with speech deficits presented biologically as well as observing actual speech- verbs, nouns, etc). This term I will be doing research on neuroplasticity as it relates to neurogenesis and spatial mapping in mice (that just means that I'm learning about how mice with damaged brains react to new environments like mazes, etc).

I think that all my AP classes helped out just in terms of study habits- to keep studying a little every day in order to retain as much information as possible. Besides that, I don't really think that anything I learned from my high school classes really carried over to Hopkins just because they teach you EVERYTHING you need to know, even if they know you already know it. I hope that makes sense.

How often you go home really depends on how far you are from home- I live about 2 hours away (driving), so it was easy for me to hop onto a train and get home in an hour. I obviously went home for all the breaks and sometimes during long weekends. I also went home for a weekend during intersession (which is a month's time after winter break where you can choose to either take a class at hopkins or extend your winter break- i chose the former).

With my major, i don't really foresee me studying abroad for an entire term. I would however, like to go abroad for the summer or possibly during intersession- who knows!

Hope this helped answer some of your questions!

Posted by Melissa21 on September 30, 2011
Hi Trisha-
I am a current senior and I am applying to JHU with an interest in chemistry/probably pre-med, but I'm a little nervous because I've heard that pre-med at Hopkins can be really cutthroat. Do you know anything about how it really is on campus and within the pre-med students?
Thanks,
Melissa

Hey! I can completely empathize with your worries. I know that I had heard all about the stereotypes about Hopkins Pre-Med students, but I decided to keep an open mind and see how it was (I applied ED). When I got here, I noticed that Hopkins professors fostered an environment of collaboration. Most students quickly learned that it was very important to work together in order to survive such a rigorous courseload.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that, yes, PreMed at Hopkins is hard, however, it is not impossible because students work together and are all working hard. Most PreMeds I know really enjoy what they are learning about and don't bother being cutthroat to other students. That is not to say that there are absolutely no cutthroat people here. However, I think that it really depends on how you deal with other people. I know in my high school, which was pretty competitive, I sort of just ignored the cutthroat people. That's exactly what I do here, and I am happy to say that I have yet to encounter a really cutthroat person.

Hopkins campus is surprisingly relaxed, and it is easy to both study and enjoy yourself!

I hope this helped!

Check out this other thread that discusses the same thing! http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/fact-or-fiction/cuthroat-opinion/.

mjasmna

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:50 PM »
Hi - I just got waitlisted at JHU!  I want to major in Chem with Neuroscience as my minor as I would like to research autistic kids' neurochemistry.  I was wondering what you have heard about being waitlisted.  DO you have any good suggestions? Any hel you can give me would be greatly appreciated!  I really would love to go to JHU! Thanks- Nicho

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Hi Nicho!
Unfortunately, I do not think we have a Neuroscience minor at Hopkins, but the research you are interested in sounds really great!

Additionally, I do not actually work for Admissions, and don't really know much about the whole process, but I would definitely suggest you look at this discussion page for more information!

http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/ask-admissions/wait-list-discussion-thread-(2012)/

Good Luck!!
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

yishao2012

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Hi Trisha!
My name is Yi (but most people call me Annie), and I'm extremely excited to be admitted as part of JHU's Class of 2016.  Your blog has been extremely helpful in illustrating the well-roundedness of JHU's curriculum, and I really enjoyed the fun spirit of student body (read: pictures and captions).

One aspect that makes me incredibly nervous about choosing JHU is the academics.  I truly enjoy working with my peers and professors, but is there a correlation between hard work and doing well in your courses?  It seems logical that JHU is tougher than high school, but I'm worried that JHU will be beyond my abilities (since high school was already stressful for me).  I read on a blog that freshman first semester grades are "covered" in order to help freshman settle in.  Is this true and if so, what does that mean?

Also, I would like to pursue a Neuroscience major, but (to be completely honest) I have little background knowledge aside from high school AP Biology and Chemistry.  During the college application process I felt that it was a perfect mesh of Bio, Chem, and Psych (which interests me), but this was still a (kind of wishful and) educated guess.  Did you start doing some further research into neuroscience before or after college?  I will actually be visiting the campus this Thurs. and Fri. (5th-6th), as well as some classes. Are there any classes that you recommend sitting in on?

And lastly, reading about your clinical study is so impressive; I was wondering the steps you took to initiate and accomplish this project.

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this, and have a great Easter!
Cheers, Annie :o)

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Hey! Congratulations on your acceptance!

JHU is very rigorous, and it was certainly an adjustment with the workload. However, I am sure that you will agree that this is the case with any college you go to; college is just more work. Study skills and balancing fun and work is tough, and something we all continue to work on during our time here. I am sure that you are entirely capable of doing the work, but covered grades is a great aspect of Hopkins that makes it easier to get used to. Essentially, your grades are either S for and A-C or a U for a grade lower than a C. You still get grades, but they are not revealed on your transcript unless you choose to do so. It is a great time to take a challenging course- I took Calculus III! I used covered grades as a time to settle into college life and establish a study method.

The Neuroscience program at Hopkins is amazing, and the research opportunities are endless. Another major to consider is Cognitive Science, especially if you are interested in an integration of traditional science and psychology. I completely agree with you that it can be difficult to completely commit to Neuro. I chose it because it sounded incredibly interesting, and the field is growing on a rapid scale. I have always been interested in neurosurgery (i have no idea whether I will actually do that) and I read about Dr. Quinones-Hinojosa, a neurosurgeon at Hopkins Med. He was an inspiration, and really got me interested in learning more about Neuro. During covered grades, you can take one of many introductory neuro classes like introduction to cognitive neuropsychology, intro to neuro, etc. I took the former and loved it.

I am currently in Nervous System, one of what's called a "gateway" Neuro class known to be very rigorous, and most Neuro students take it as a sophomore or a junior (it is a prereq for many upper-level neuro classes).

As for classes to check out-head to the admitted students page of the website for a list of the pre-approved classes you can sit in on! I apologize in my earlier post I had that you could just go to any class. That is definitely not the case. You probably won't be allowed to sit in on it, and I am sure that it would be better for you to sit in on an introductory class anyways.

The clinical research I did was great! I really enjoyed it- and it was really easy for me to get the research position too! I just emailed a doctor at the med campus- she was recommended to me by one of my professors. It was a great experience and she has been more than helpful in many ways (helping me find internships, letting me shadow her, etc).

I hope this answers your questions- Good Luck with your decision!
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 07:04 PM »
Again- just to follow up, you need to check the Admitted Students page for a list of the approved classes you can sit in on.
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

karemeljamal

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Hey Trisha,
I think I saw that you moved from Ann Arbor, just wondering if you went to Pioneer (Go Pioneers!) or Huron. Also, Since you were able to experience two college towns, UM and JHU, I was wondering if you could tell me about any differences between the two or any similarities. If I am totally wrong and you never lived in A2, sorry about that, but could you tell me about some great aspects the JHU campus has to offer. Thanks!

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:26 AM »
Hey!

I actually lived in the Saline area, and went to Saline High School just for my freshman year before moving. But, I definitely did experience UM campus and loved it! Ann Arbor is certainly more of a college town than Baltimore is. However, I think there are benefits to both; I really liked the atmosphere in Michigan, but Baltimore has areas that are nice as well- like Fells Point, Inner Harbor, and Hamden. I would say your best bet would be to visit campus. I really like Hopkins because campus itself is absolutely gorgeous. Michigan is really nice as well, but I like that Hopkins campus is really intimate and small.

Hopefully that helps! Feel free to ask any other questions!
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

atiriyah

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 06:41 AM »
Hi Trisha,

I want to major in Neuroscience as well. Do you think one should major in Biology and then specialize in Neuroscience, or do you feel that the Neuroscience course exposes you to other areas of biology as well?

Also, what are the career options for a Neuroscience major? I personally am interested in scientific research.

Thanks,
Atiriya

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 11:38 PM »
Hey!

Well deciding between Biology and Neuroscience can be difficult, as it simply comes down to a personal choice. I would look into the individual programs to learn more about them, the classes involved, and the research requirements, etc.

I really love the Neuro program- I get the opportunity to take great classes that are specialized in sub-areas of neuroscience; we have a class, for example, on just the synapse!

If you want to major in Bio, you can still take Neuro classes, so you don't have to worry about not getting the exposure you want if you decide to go with Bio instead. Additionally, you are exposed to bio just by the classes you must take as a Neuro major: biology, biochemistry, genetics, etc.

In terms of career options for a Neuro major...definitely the classic route of going to medical school and becoming a neurologist is a potential path. Otherwise, doing research and getting a PhD instead is another (some people do a joint program).

I guess in the end it's really up to you! You can't go wrong with either program!

Good Luck!

Trisha
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

hofilena

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Hi Trisha!

I recently got recruited for fencing at JHU and decided to apply ED! The deadline's in a couple weeks, how crazy is that?!
I visited last saturday for the open campus tour and fell in love...with literally everything.

Just a few curious questions:
How rigorous is neuroscience overall?  I'm a bit scared about the work load and fencing practices (which is 3x a week for about 2 hrs) at the same time.
I see that there is also the availability of tutoring, have you used those services and did they help you?

Thanks!
~Alyssa

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Hey Alyssa!

So excited that you're into fencing AND neuro!! Haha the neuro program is really amazing. While it is a lot of work, I wouldn't say it is infeasible for you to do both a sport and neuro. Most people, like me, try to be as involved as possible on campus.

While the program does involve a lot of intensive courseload, I have found every class I have taken here extremely interesting. You are not limited to just sciencey classes, and the upperlevel neuro classes are really unique (Primate Brain, Brain Injury and Recovery, Visual Systems, etc)! The research component is also useful; I have been researching since my freshman year and have been extremely lucky in taking advantage of the opportunities at JHMI.

Tutoring at the Learning Den is a free, easy-to-use service that I seriously took advantage of for classes like Nervous System (one of the first intense neuro classes you will take, mostly likely as a sophomore, and Organic Chemistry, a classic pre-med/neuro requirement).

Hopkins professors are certainly receptive to any of your questions, and there are TA's for each class that are also available for questions.

Overall, I think if you have 6 hours/week for fencing practice, I think you should be fine. I research for 9 hours a week, which I thought would be a lot, but there are plenty of people doing even MORE! Talking to your advisor will allow you to plan out every minute of your schedule. And don't worry if you think you will change your mind- you don't choose your major until your Sophomore year anyways!

Hope that helped!!
Good luck with your application!
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

hofilena

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 11:27 PM »
Thank you for answering back!

This forum is so helpful haha, I'm so glad I looked into this. :)

Quick questions:
Do you know anything about the Public Health major?  Do some premed students go there and is it as heavy as neuro with the workload?

I'm sorry for asking so many, I'm interested in a lot of the majors but I only know a certain amount of information on them! ):

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 02:52 PM »
Hey- I'm glad I could help- the public health major is great and really popular on campus; plenty of pre-med students are also Public Health Majors! I'm not super knowledgeable about it, but I know that the classes all sound super interesting. Check out their website for some more information: http://krieger.jhu.edu/publichealth

Hope that helps!
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

atiriyah

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 09:07 AM »
Thanks Trisha! Your answer was very helpful! :)

gulia

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 05:43 AM »
Hi Trisha!

I am an international student  (even though I am a junior in an American public school here in NJ), and I really want to major in neuroscience just like you! And because I came from a foreign country just about a year and 3 months ago (long story short, my studying abroad here in America was decided somehow abruptly, so I didn't expect I would enroll University in America; Johns Hopkins was just one of my dream schools that I thought I would never get to), my extra curricular activities seem to lack compared to other students'.
This is really awkward to ask you this here, but will you recommend me any activities? I am so desperate :(..

cfinkbeiner

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 10:40 PM »
Hi!

I've read the student blogs and some Q&A you've been doing. My question is, what is the worst thing/something you would change about JH? It seems so easy to rattle off the positives, but it's also obviously important to weigh all the pro's and con's before deciding.

Thanks,

Courtney
PS: I'm leaning heavily towards JH, so no worries about changing my mind! I just want some straight answers (:

neha

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Hi Trisha! My name is Neha and I am a sophomore in high school. I am really interested in the medical field and I am a very active member in my school's HOSA chapter (Health Occupations Students of America) which I compete for HOSA Bowl in. I am in the top 6% of my class and I will have taken about 9 AP classes before graduating high school in 2015. I am very involved in extra curricular activities and dedicate much of my time to volunteering. Johns Hopkins University is one of the top notch medical schools in the nation and it would be a great honor to go there. I want to know what I can do to set myself apart from the other applicants? So many people are entering the health profession, and I want to be something different. What does JHU look for? Do you have any recommendations for me? Is there anything you regret not doing in high school (ex. not taking enough AP classes etc.)? Thank you so much! Good Luck with your career :) I hope to one day be in your position as a future health care professional. :)

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Hey there, Neha! You certainly have taken on a lot in high school- that's great! I actually used to be in HOSA myself! Hopkins is definitely one of the best undergraduate research institutes that also prepares students very well for entering the medical field. I would say just be yourself- applications that stand out are those that don't tell admissions what they want to hear, but are a genuine reflection of your strengths and capabilities. I would say highlight what makes you different besides all your extracurriculars- those show up on your resume anyway. Talk about what you have learned from your experiences and how they have shaped you as a person!

Good luck!
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 12:39 PM »
Hey  Guila

Don't worry at all- there's always time to make up for a lack of extracurriculars. I would suggest joining clubs that reflect your interest. In high school, I ran the newspaper, a community service club, the debate club, law club, and volunteered at my library. Now, none of these have anything to do with my current career goal, but I joined them because I enjoyed the people and the activities!

Hope that helps and good luck!
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Hey Courtney,

That's a great question! I would say that it certainly is very difficult to address what I would like to change at Hopkins. Once you start going here, you just seem to mesh in with it so easily. What I would say is that I wish TA's for specific classes would tutor at the Learning Den. It is very helpful, but I just wish that the people who know exactly what is going on in class would teach the sessions.

Other than that...I can't really say I would like anything else to change really. Courses are manageable, professors are approachable, campus is gorgeous, living arrangements are wonderful, resources abound- all this makes Hopkins a great place to be and certainly overshadows any negatives you may come across!

Good Luck!
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

Agnessa Tee

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Hi Trisha!!

It is great to hear that you are doing research in the medical campus! Preparing medical supplies, volunteering at the Brain Rescue Unit, being in contact with patients, giving advices... your life is really appealing to me. Healing is definitely beautiful even with all the struggles and effort. I am really looking forward to that kind of life in college. I am even anticipating chances to see the much desperate patients suffering in third world countries, opportunities to contribute in healthcare campaigns, and to involve directly in finding remedies for those who suffer. However, as I am still a high school student applying for fall semester next year, I would like to know how I can do more in the field at this stage. How can I commit myself as a high school student besides academics? What did you do during high school preparing yourself for medicine? What kind of organisation or activities can I aim for as a high school student? Besides, I would also be glad to know what do you think about pursuing medicine at Hopkins.

Regards,
Agnessa Tee