Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Erica - Elk Grove, CA  (Read 3395 times)

JHU_Erica

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
Meet JHU_Erica - Elk Grove, CA
« on: October 01, 2011, 02:52 AM »
Hello there, I'm Erica! I'm from Elk Grove, California and I am an Economics major with minors in Financial Economics, Computer Science and Entrepreneurship & Management. I'm a lover of mexican food, fashion and traveling! I'd love to answer any questions you may have about Hopkins or college in general!

-----------------------------------------------

Why Hopkins?

I chose Hopkins because I instantly fell in love with the campus. It has all the amenities of an incredible city, while campus itself doesn't feel urban at all. It's the perfect mix! I was also interested in the amazing opportunities available to Hopkins students, the proximity to DC and New York, and the fact that the students here are so welcoming!

My Classes:

Freshman Fall:
-Elements of Macroeconomics
-International Politics
-History of Occidental Civilizations: Europe and the Wider World
-Conversations with the Earth
-Family History in the U.S. and Europe

Freshman Spring:
-Elements of Microeconomics
-Calculus II for Engineers
-Statistical Analysis 1
-Introduction to Business

Sophomore Fall:
-Microeconomic Theory
-Statistical Analysis 2
-Principles of Marketing
-Financial Accounting
-Monetary Analysis

Sophomore Spring:
-Macroeconomic Theory
-Economics of Africa
-Professional Communications in Science, Business and Industry
-Introduction to Programming in Java
-Consumer Behavior

Junior Fall: Abroad in London!
-Economic Policy: A British Perspective
-The European Business Environment: Institutions and Enterprise
-Britain and the European Question: The Coinfluence of History and Politics
-Internship at London Diversified Fund Management LLP

Extracurriculars

Summer 2012: Internship at a web marketing and design start up in Santa Barbara, California
Summer 2013: Internship at Franklin Templeton Investments

Student Admissions Advisory Board - This includes working in admissions, writing blogs, and hanging out with some awesome people!

Office of Alumni Relations - Alumni Student Ambassador

Office of Communications - Contributor to The Hub

JHU Tutorial Project - Highly recommended! I tutor an elementary school student two days a week on campus named Cedric. He's one of the coolest people I've ever met. JHU_Joseph and JHU_Kevin also do Tutorial so we eat dinner together afterwards every Tuesday and Thursday!

Blue Key Society - In the spring I'll start giving tours at Hopkins with the Blue Key Society! I'm really looking forward to it because I love talking to prospective students about life as a blue jay!

Housing

Freshman Year:
I live in AMR II in Baker House (just one house over from JHU_Ian!). I absolutely love how social my dorm has turned out to be and I couldn't be happier! My house is very close-knit and we all bonded really quickly which made the transition to college so much easier.

Sophomore Year:
I live in Charles Commons this year and I absolutely love it! It's very renovated, clean and a convenient walk to everywhere I go!

Junior Year:
I am off campus now living in Village Lofts on St. Paul Street. It's on the same block as Starbucks, Chipotle and Uni Mini--across the street from Charles Commons!

If you haven't already, check out my blog: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/2015/author/erica/

Erica Z.
Class of 2015
Economics
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

BlancheBunny103

Re: Meet JHU_Erica - Elk Grove, CA
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:48 AM »
Hey Erica
Can you please tell me more about your experiences at AMR?
And do you find it uncomfortable without AC?

egweber

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:08 AM »
Hi Erica,  This isn't really a question, I just wanted to say hi!  I'm so glad that you love Hopkins as much as we do.  It's wonderful to have another member of the Blue Jay family.  We miss you here, but we are thrilled that you have found a new home at Homewood.  We'd love to take you to dinner next time we ae back.  Enjoy your second semester  -and eat some crab cakes for me!

Love, Mrs. Weber

JHU_Erica

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:01 AM »
Hey Erica
Can you please tell me more about your experiences at AMR?
And do you find it uncomfortable without AC?

BlancheBunny103:

My experiences in AMR 2 have been absolutely incredible! Although my opinion may be a little biased I definitely think the AMR's are the ideal choice for freshman housing. As far as the aesthetics, the AMR's are not the prettiest or largest of the freshman dorms but they are definitely the most social and house the most people so by the end of your first month you will have met so many people just by walking around the halls and spending time with your floormates/housemates. As for the lack of air conditioning, it's hardly an issue. I brought one fan and never had a problem being uncomfortably warm. It is only necessary to keep a fan the first three weeks or so of the fall semester (and at the end of spring semester I've heard). So really air conditioning is not a big deal in Baltimore weather. Also, although the other freshman dorms do have central air it is regulated by the housing administration so students really don't have personal temperature control. Just a thought :)

Overall, I highly recommend the AMR's and the lack of air conditioning is hardly an issue!

Thanks for asking! If you have any more questions about anything related to college let me know!

-Erica
Erica Z.
Class of 2015
Economics
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Erica

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:04 AM »
Hi Erica,  This isn't really a question, I just wanted to say hi!  I'm so glad that you love Hopkins as much as we do.  It's wonderful to have another member of the Blue Jay family.  We miss you here, but we are thrilled that you have found a new home at Homewood.  We'd love to take you to dinner next time we ae back.  Enjoy your second semester  -and eat some crab cakes for me!

Love, Mrs. Weber

Mrs. Weber,

You are so sweet and I have you and your wonderful family to thank for always being so encouraging and kind. I absolutely love it here and have even seen Abby a few times on campus :) A few of my friends are on mock trial and absolutely adore her as much as my family does! I would love to have dinner next time you visit, and next time I am in Elk Grove I would love to see you and Tommy!

All the best,
Erica
Erica Z.
Class of 2015
Economics
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

BlancheBunny103

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 05:55 AM »
Hey thanxx for the reply =)

AMR sounds pretty amazing to me so far!
Did you receive housing info/ questionnaire along with admission offer? Did you get your first choice dorm?
I'm RD applicant for class of 2016, really hope to get accepted XD

JHU_Erica

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Hey thanxx for the reply =)

AMR sounds pretty amazing to me so far!
Did you receive housing info/ questionnaire along with admission offer? Did you get your first choice dorm?
I'm RD applicant for class of 2016, really hope to get accepted XD

Good luck with regular decision! The wait is the worst part of college applications, but it'll be worth it :) And actually the housing information is all posted on the housing website, so you'll get some information in your admissions packet, but mostly they refer you to online resources. I got my first choice dorm and from what I hear most people do. Each dorm is so unique and they attract different students so there's always a fair number who want each as their first choice. Although, Hopkins does not guarantee you'll get your preferred dorm selection. You'll be happy whichever dorm you live in because all Hopkins students are incredible!

Again, good luck with regular decision!

-Erica
Erica Z.
Class of 2015
Economics
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

AnesMoral2014

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 04:58 PM »
Hi Erica, nice to meet you :)
MY question is how do you manage to move all your belongings from your home in California to your other home(wood) in Baltimore, Maryland? Like you know, every semester you have to move out and then move in when classes starts again.
Like I'm planning on attending Johns Hopkins in the fall of 2014. I am so excited, JHU is my dream college.
At this moment I'm a junior at my high school in Nacogdoches Texas. Liked I said, I SOO excited.
Back, to the subject, lol... sorry
well like I was saying..
I live in Texas and the school is in Maryland.
Did you took all yours things to the school driving or you took a plane to Baltimore.?
Thanks
Andres Morales

JHU_Erica

• Hopkins Student
  • Ask Me a Question!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Hello Andres!

When I first moved in to Hopkins for my freshman year, I flew and brought a few suitcases with my belongings. I purchased things like bins, hangers, a lamp, bedding, etc. at the Target store in Baltimore. I highly recommend buying larger items that are hard to transport once you arrive for move in.

As for between semesters, the dorms are closed but all of my belongings are still in my room. (So over winter break and intersession your belongings stay in your dorm.)

Over the summer, I stored some of my belongings in a local storage facility with a group of people. You'll find that many people live overseas/far away from the east coast so it's no problem finding a group of people to share a storage facility with for the summer!

Hope this helps!
-Erica
Erica Z.
Class of 2015
Economics
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

AnesMoral2014

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 10:46 PM »
Hey! Erica :)
Thank you! and it does help,  Thank you so much.
Have an awesome 2013! wish you the best