Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Joseph - St. Louis, MO  (Read 6315 times)

JHU_Joseph

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Joseph - St. Louis, MO
« on: September 30, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Hi everyone! My name is Joseph, I'm from St. Louis, MO, and I'm a senior majoring in art history and minoring in Museums & Society. Can it all be done?? Stay tuned to find out. Aside from over-dramatizing situations, as previously shown, I'm also a fan of contemporary art, 90's hip hop, eating (primarily fruit snacks and cheeseburgers), and adventures.

-------------------------------
Why Hopkins?
As an art history major, it was important for me to be in a place with a renowned program and a thriving art scene; hence, Hopkins. Not only are there so many museums extremely close to campus, if not right on it, as well as around Baltimore, but coming to the east coast puts me so much closer to other major cities playing a large role in shaping the world of art today. I love Hopkins because it's set me up for countless opportunities and given me the independence in my studies to truly excel as an art historian. Another thing that's so great about Hopkins is the people; everyone is so welcoming and engaging, which has made it so easy to create my new home here in Baltimore.
For more, read my blog all about "Why Hopkins"

--------------------------------
My Classes

Fall 2011Spring 2012
• Intro to the History of European Art: Ancient to MedievalIntro to the History of European Art: Renaissance to Modern
• Intro to the Museum: Past and Present• Intro to the Museum: Issues and Ideas
• High-Intermediate French I• High-Intermediate French II
• Intro to Global Environmental Change• Perspectives on the Evolution of Structures
• Understanding Aid• Intro to Digital Photography

Fall 2012                                                                                 Spring 2013
• Matisse, Picasso and Twentieth-Century Art• Sculpture After Sculpture
• Renaissance Art in the Netherlands, 1400-1500• Photos on the Edge: Ara Güler in the Archives of the Freer/Sackler Galleries
• Advanced Writing and Speaking in French I• Advanced Writing and Speaking in French II
• Principles of Marketing• Medieval Spaces: Site, Image and Viewer in the Middle
• Financial Accounting• Introduction à la littérature française
• Intro to Business

Fall 2013—Spring 2014: Studying abroad at the École du Louvre in Paris

Fall 2014
  • Honors Thesis [History of Art]
  • Problems in Theory and Method: Reception, Response, Reflexivity
  • Twenty-First Century Approaches to Material Culture
  • Bilingualism

---------------------------------
My Extracurriculars
Around campus, I'm involved with the Student Admissions Advisory Board, or SAAB, which runs the prospective student resources to give an honest look at life as a Hopkins student, and the Museums & Society Student Advisory Board, which provides student input to the faculty in the Program in Museums & Society. I'm also a part of the Museums Club, by which I mean I often go on trips to museums with Hopkins students, such as a free trips to the American Visionary Art Museum and Philadelphia! I've previously been a member of Art Brigade and JHU Relay for Life.

Off-campus, I've worked at the Baltimore Museum of Art as a curatorial office assistant for two years as part of my work-study; Gallery CA as a curatorial intern, where I organized the exhibition Stranger Self; the Program in Museums & Society as an academic assistant; the Phillips Collection in D.C. as a curatorial intern; and I often volunteer with various community arts projects around Station North, the arts and entertainment district in Baltimore.

My Dorm

My freshman and sophomore year, I lived in McCoy Hall. It's a great location on campus -- near the beach and campus but also close to the restaurants on St. Paul Street -- and it was definitely the right place for me. This year I'll be living in a home-stay in Paris.

LASTLY: Don't hesitate to ask any questions! I'm happy to give you a candid point of view of my times so far at Hopkins. Ask away!
JHU_Joseph
Class of 2015
History of Art, French, Museum & Society, Entrepreneurship & Management
Make sure you check out my blog, ask me a question, follow me on Twitter, and check out all of Hopkins Interactive while you're at it!

<<Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.>>
-Le Petit Prince

cmil9

Re: Meet JHU_Joseph - St. Louis, MO
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 03:13 PM »
I’m asking you a question! While I will probably not major in Art History, it is definitely a topic that interests me. What classes would you recommend taking for someone who just wants to learn more about the subject but doesn’t necessarily want to pursue it as a career? Also, does an art history class satisfy history requirements for other majors (such as International Studies?)

JHU_Joseph

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 07:49 PM »
WOO thank you for said question! It's awesome that you're interested in art history even though you're not planning on majoring in it.

If you just want to take a few art history classes, I'd actually recommend not taking either of the Intro Art History classes as they're a LOT of work and pretty general, but rather going straight to some lower-level (or upper-level if you're feeling up to it) art history classes that interest you. As long as Intro Art History isn't a prerequisite, and it's not often that it is, you can take any class that will be specific and go in-depth on some great topics. (There's a Dean's Teaching Fellowship class called "Junk! New (Old) Materials in Modern Art" that looks really really good, depending what your interests are! You really can't go wrong!) Other opportunities to take classes are during Intersession, which would be a 3 week class during January. I took two this year, one on Impressionism/collecting and one on Dadaism, and they were both really great. Intersession's the perfect time to take classes outside of your major in case your schedule gets really packed during the semester. You can also take Intersession classes abroad — some in the art history department in the past have been in Florence and Paris, and there's always new ones being offered! Art history courses here are great and really eye-opening, so it's awesome that you're considering taking some!

According to the International Studies major requirements, "Up to two of the required [history] courses may be taken outside of the History Department with permission from the Associate Director," so if you plan ahead and get it approved, you may be able to get them to count towards your major, which would be really cool!

Thanks again for your question(!!!) and if you have anymore, just ask! Welcome to Hopkins!
JHU_Joseph
Class of 2015
Make sure you check out my blog, ask me a question, follow me on Twitter, and check out all of Hopkins Interactive while you're at it!

<<Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.>>
-Le Petit Prince

cmil9

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 10:22 PM »
Dear Joseph,

Thank you so much!! If I hadn’t asked you I probably just would have signed up for the intro class. It’s good to know there are other options.

Camilla

rlandry13

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 01:59 AM »
Hi!

I currently go to an art high school, and I've really loved working collaboratively between disciplines--I'm in creative writing, but I've really learned a lot from my friends in visual arts through the projects we have started together (zines and chapbooks, mostly). Do you find that your classes encourage this type of interdisciplinary work, and is there a community on campus that supports this?

Thanks!
Ruthie

JHU_Joseph

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 12:02 AM »
Hey Ruthie—thanks for checking out the Forums and for a great question!

I'm going to put my jealousy over the fact that you go to an arts high school aside and tell you that, yes(!), there's a good amount of interdisciplinary learning taking place at Hopkins, more in certain departments than others, in my opinion. I'd assume that in courses like Introduction to Fiction and Poetry (assuming that your interest is in writing), you'll find a lot of interdisciplinary learning just because writing crosses so many disciplines in its very nature. As a Museums & Society minor, I've personally encountered a lot of interdisciplinary coursework because the minor, which ultimately thinks about the shaping of thought and identity through cultural institutions, draws in students from a variety of backgrounds. For example, I'm in a Museums course now where we're curating an exhibition of a contemporary Turkish photographer's works at the Smithsonian's Freer and Sackler Galleries (an awesome experience in and of itself). My group, charged with developing a curatorial theme, only benefitted from the range of intellect which each of us brought to the table, ranging from international studies to history to contemporary art theory. Hopkins also offers courses through its Humanities Center, courses which approach the humanities at large and therefore draw in, again, students from all different backgrounds. It's definitely possible within the School of Arts & Sciences (which I assume you'll be in) to find a large amount opportunities to learn in an interdisciplinary setting!   

Outside of the classroom, there are likewise many opportunities to get involved in interdisciplinary projects. Personally, I'm working with other Museums students to create a museum studies journal at Hopkins which will call upon the diverse experience of all students to present a holistic view of museum activities and issues. Here's a link to some of the student-run journals on-campus, and of course, one could always start a new journal that fits their interests, just as I'm doing with my peers.

Hopefully this answers your question at large, but if you have any more specific questions pertaining to this or anything else, please don't hesitate to ask — again, great question!   
JHU_Joseph
Class of 2015

-Le Petit Prince