Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Kaitlyn - The Woodlands, TX  (Read 9619 times)

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Kaitlyn - The Woodlands, TX
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:26 PM »
Hi everyone! I’m Kaitlyn and I’m a junior majoring in International Studies with a concentration in Global Public Health. I'm also completing pre-med requirements! I went to The John Cooper School (Go Dragons!) for high school, and I'm from The Woodlands, TX (which is about 45 minutes north of Houston).
---------------------
Why Hopkins?

I chose Johns Hopkins because it surpassed my checklist! Not only is it a research oriented university with breadth and depth across the academic departments, but it’s also on the East Coast with easy access to Washington D.C. and New York. I was also a recruited tennis player for Hopkins, so I was very excited that I’d be able to experience college as a student-athlete.
---------------------
My Classes

Fall 2011:

Introductory Chemistry I
Introductory Chemistry Lab I
General Physics I (for physical science majors)
General Physics Lab I
Calculus II (for engineers)
Intermediate Spanish I
Chemical Engineering Today

Spring 2012:

Introductory Chemistry II
Introductory Chemistry Lab II
General Physics II (for physical science majors)
General Physics Lab II
Differential Equations and Applications
Expository Writing: Better than Human

Fall 2012:

Organic Chemistry I
Biology I
Biology Lab I
Intermediate Spanish II
Medieval World

Spring 2012:

Organic Chemistry II
Biology II
Biology Lab II
Advanced Spanish I
Modern Political Thought in Latin America
Research Tools and Technologies for the Social Sciences

Fall 2013:

Biochemistry
Organic Chemistry Lab
Macroeconomics
Global Public Health Since WWII
Environment and Your Health

Spring 2014:

Animal Behavior
Medicine for and by Women in Early Modern Europe
Economic Forecasting
Microeconomics
IFP

AP Credits:

AP Calculus BC
Which gave me credit for:
Calculus I   

AP Chemistry
Which gave me credit for:
Introductory Chemistry I
Introductory Chemistry II
Introductory Chemistry Lab I
Introductory Chemistry Lab II

**I chose not to take any credit for AP Chemistry because I felt that my high school lab was not equivalent to a college lab course.

International Relations (at Stanford University Summer College)
Which gave me:
3.3 credits (Social and Behavior Studies designation)

Greek and Latin Roots of English (at Stanford University Summer College)
Which gave me:
2 credits (Humanities designation)
---------------------
My Extracurriculars:

Research Assistant at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine --> This is by far my most significant time commitment outside of class, but I really enjoy it! Every Tuesday, I take the JHMI down to the medical campus to work in Dr. Pomper's lab under the direction of Dr. Sangeeta in which we're developing new compounds in order to diagnose prostate cancer at earlier stages. While I'm usually working from 9-5 in the lab, I find that the time goes by extremely quickly- it's exciting to think about the possible implications of the research study! 

SALUD --> In this student group, undergraduate bilingual students travel to the Baltimore City Health Department Clinic in order to serve as translators for doctors and their Spanish-speaking patients. I absolutely love my time at the clinic since I'm able to utilize my Spanish skills, observe doctor-patient interactions, and somewhat participate in these interactions as well.

Writing Center Tutor -->Last year, I became an official "writing center tutor" which means that I work a weekly 4-hour shift at the JHU writing center that serves undergraduate and graduate students. As a tutor, I discuss various forms of argument-based writing and aid in the general structure and overall development of the paper. I have found that being a tutor has actually given me a lot of insight into my own writing, and I really enjoy being able to interact with so many different students through these appointments.

Phi Mu Sorority --> Joining a sorority at Hopkins in the spring of my freshman year was an amazing way to meet and get to know a ton of talented, driven young women. I truly love being a part of Phi Mu at Hopkins!

Student Admissions Advisory Board
SAAB is something that I knew I wanted to be a part of as soon as I was accepted to Hopkins. The SAAB board really helped me get a sense of Hopkins when I was a prospective student, so I wanted to try to do the same thing for you guys. I also think communicating with prospective students via blogs, forums, videos, twitter, and Facebook is so cool! SAAB is also great because I get to hang out with a lot of people with different majors and interests that I wouldn’t have met it if weren’t for SAAB.
---------------------
My Dorm/Apartment Life:

As a junior, I'm living in an "off-campus" apartment (the DeSoto to be exact), but it's basically just as close to campus as any of the "on-campus" dorms and apartments.

As a sophomore, I lived in a 4-bedroom suite in Charles Commons, and I loved it! I really appreciated the building's prime location in terms of proximity to campus and Charles Village. I also enjoyed having both a gym and cafeteria within the building.

As a freshman, I lived in a single in AMR II, Griffin house.

---------------------
Follow me (please!):

Read my freshman year blog - http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/2015/author/kaitlyn/
Read my current, junior & sophomore year blog! - http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/kaitlyn/
---------------------
That’s all for now! If you have any questions about academics, greek life, research, social life, transfer credits, the application process, or really anything, please don’t hesitate to ask them!
JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies
Concentration in Global Public Health

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
Re: Meet JHU_Kaitlyn - The Woodlands, TX
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:32 PM »
Question:

Hi Kaitlyn,

I was just admitted to JHU, however, I was not admitted into the BME program which is what I really wanted to go to JHU for. I am now considering my options about attending Hopkins. While I am really excited to be accepted, I am not longer sure that I want to attend Hopkins. I was looking at other programs at Hopkins similar to BME, and I came across Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. I noticed on the fb that you are majoring in this, and I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about it. I also want to fulfill pre-med requirements, because as of right now I plan on going to medical school.

Thanks,
Carla

Response:

Hi Carla,

Congrats on being admitted to Hopkins! I'm so happy that you're considering Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.

As a freshman, I'm mostly taking general science and math classes such as physics, chemistry, and calculus, but I'm also enrolled in a class specifically for ChemBE's, Chemical Engineering Today.

I found this class to be extremely valuable in terms of learning about my major and its practical applications. The class is made up of guest speakers, all with Chemical Engineering backgrounds, that speak about how they are using their major in their chosen field. I found the visiting medical students to be extremely informative. They spoke about how their ChemBE backgrounds allowed them to stand out in the medical school application process, as well as how their engineering background improved their analytical skills. .

Along with the Chemical Engineering Today class, I met with a pre-professional advisor to discuss my plans for medical school. At JHU, we have access to a tremendous amount of resources in terms of planning for graduate school. My advisor assured me that ChemBE is a very conducive route for medical school. We went over the general requirements for medical school and found that they overlap with the ChemBE required course load.

On another note, I know about 25% of the freshmen majoring in ChemBE plan on applying to medical school. The other 75% is a mixed bag, ranging from graduate research to industry to finance.

Lastly, if ChemBE doesn't sound like it's for you, Public Health and Biology are popular majors among pre-meds at Hopkins. That being said, there's also a great deal of Writing Seminars, International Studies, and Anthropology majors who are also pre-meds.

If you have any more questions or if you'd like to know more, please don't hesitate to ask! I love answering questions and talking about my experiences at JHU!

Happy Holidays!
Kaitlyn
JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Question:

Hi Kaitlyn!

My name is Eric, and I am an accepted freshmen at JHU from Taipei, Taiwan! From your post in the Hopkins page, you wrote that you're majoring in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. That is a major I'm interested in studying, so could you give me some information on the classes you're in and you've taken, and what they are like? And also, what is your favorite thing about JHU, and perhaps some of the things that you thought were different from before and after you arrived.

I'm very excited to head to JHU in Fall 2012!

Response:

Hi Eric! Congratulations on your early decision acceptance!!

As a freshman ChemBE, I am taking Chemical Engineering Today, Chemistry I and II, Physics I and II, Chemistry Lab, Physics Lab, Calculus II, and Differential Equations and Applications. As for required distribution credits, I am taking Intermediate Spanish I and Expository Writing. I've attached a sample ChemBE course load below.

http://www.jhu.edu/chembe/undergraduate-programs/docs/Example-ChemBE-schedule.pdf

My experiences with my courses have been positive so far. My chemistry class had about 300 students, which is average in terms of a general science requirement (such as Physics, Biology, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, etc.). Generally all of the science courses move at a pretty quick pace, so that you're expected to keep up with the reading and weekly problem sets. Also, science courses generally have 2-3 midterms and a final exam. The professors are absolutely brilliant, and you usually have a "section" once a week in which a Teaching Assistant will go over the material covered in lecture. As for my math class, it had around 200 or so students, which is average for the lower level math courses. (Calculus I, II, and III). In Calculus II, we had a quiz every week in section, which I found helpful in terms of determining how well I knew the material. We also had a problem set due every section which could take an hour to ten hours to complete, depending on the week. My Chemical Engineering Class was my favorite class, and you can read more about it in my response to Carla above.

My favorite thing about JHU? It's hard to pick just one thing. I love the campus, the professors, the resources, and most of all, the students. When you come to Hopkins, you are putting yourself in an environment full of motivated people. It's inspiring to be around students that are really passionate about what they are studying.

As for things that were different in terms of my preconceptions, I guess I didn't expect to have as much fun as I am having. JHU is really conducive to building friendships and networking in terms of its size (there are approximately 1200 freshmen this year). It's really easy to meet people here because you almost always run into them again, whether that be in the library, in your dorm, in one of your lectures, or at the Freshmen Cafeteria (The Fresh Food Cafe). I didn't expect to feel this at home, this fast.

I hope that I've answered your questions, but if not, feel free to ask away or browse the forums for some more information.

Congrats again!
Kaitlyn

JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

kitter12

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Thank you for your reply! I have a few questions about AP classes and credits. I have not taken AP Chem, do you think this would be a problem if I ended up majoring in Chem and biomolecular engineering? Also, as far as placing out of courses, I noticed that you elected not to place out of Chem classes even though you scored high enough for credit. Would you advise to do the same for Calc credits? I took AP Calc BC and scored a 5 and I was wondering if it would be advisable to place out of Calc I and II.

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 02:22 PM »
Hi Eric,

I do not think that you need to have taken AP Chem prior to coming to Hopkins in order to major in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. I believe my background in chemistry allowed me to be somewhat more prepared in Introductory Chemistry I than some of classmates, but Hopkins approaches chemistry in a different way than high school. I had not taken AP Physics prior to taking General Physics I, and I believe I did just fine. Obviously I had to focus on studying for physics more so than chemistry, but I never felt overwhelmed by the new material.

In your case, I would advise for you to take your Calc credits. If you got a 5 on AP Calc BC, it's clear that you know the material. A lot of my friends that are majoring in ChemBE took their calc credits so they started out in Calculus III, and they're able to have more flexibility with their schedule. That's just my 2 cents though. You can always enroll in Calculus III initially and if it proves to advanced, you can drop down to Calculus II before the drop/add deadline. Or vice versa, in which you could enroll in Calculus II and switch to Calculus III if the class proved too remedial. If you drop before this deadline, the switch won't appear on your transcript.

Hope that helps!
Kaitlyn

JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

goingtojhu

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:02 AM »
Hello Kaitlyn! I have been reading your blogs, which are extremely interesting and insightful about Hopkins! I was wondering about greek life. I know for sure that I want to rush when I go to Hopkins next year because I want to meet inspiring women that are the same as I am, but I am worried about the cost. I was wondering if you can let me know a little bit more about it, if you can? Thanks!
Thanks,
Lola

jcardona

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Hi, Kaitlyn! My name is Jennifer and I currently live in The Woodlands, Texas. I thought it was it was really neat to find a JHU student from the same town I am in, so I thought that you were the perfect person for me to ask my question to. I am currently a sophomore in high school and I am really considering applying to JHU (I know it's a little early for me but I like to be ahead of the game). I was wondering if there were any specific things that I should really focus on to better my chances of getting into JHU. I'm planning on applying early decision as I REALLY want to attend this school. Any tips that you could give me would be great! :) Thanks!

-Jennifer

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 03:46 AM »
Hi Lola!

First of all, I’m really sorry for how long it has taken me to respond- I’ve been without internet access for a couple of weeks! I’m so happy that you’ve found my blogs helpful in learning about Greek life at Hopkins. In terms of the cost, I would say that the sororities on campus do an excellent job of keeping costs at a minimum. I think that a big reason for this is that we don’t have official sorority houses, so our dues are typically a lot lower than other schools.

When a “phi” is officially inducted into a sorority (which actually comes about a month or two after receiving a bid at the end of recruitment), they become an active member of the sorority (which means that you’ll start paying dues). Since you have about two months before you actually start paying dues, you have time to learn about the billing process, ask questions, and even apply for scholarship awards that can help out with the cost. While I can only speak for Phi Mu, I’m pretty sure that all sororities have a one-time initiation fee that can range from $400-600. After the initiation fee, there are typically one-time semester fees that can range from $200-400 (usually about $300). Again, I can only speak specifically about Phi Mu dues, but I hope that this gives you a general idea of what to expect. Please let me know if you have any more questions- I’m excited that you’re considering Greek life!

Kaitlyn
JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 04:14 AM »
Hi Jennifer!

That’s awesome that you’re also from The Woodlands! My little brother is a sophomore as well, and he’s been asking me similar questions lately. While it’s hard to spurt out specific tips and suggestions, I’ll try to be as specific as possible.

First off, I would definitely get in touch with your college advisor. It’s always beneficial to build a relationship with your advisor early on, and I’m sure that he/she will have some helpful tips and guidance.

I would also pursue something that you’re passionate about outside of the classroom. It seems cliché, but “following your passion” can really allow you to accomplish some amazing things (and have those amazing things to eventually put on your resume). Whether you’re an artist, musician, athlete, scientist, debater, or all of the above, I think that it’s extremely healthy to really pursue an activity outside of the classroom. If you love a certain subject, you can even enroll in advanced courses in that subject at Montgomery Community College or even apply to take those courses at Rice. I think that the admissions counselors at JHU (and at really any university) are looking for passionate, interesting, and mature students that are self-motivated and ready for the challenges of a rigorous institution.

I would also make sure to be an active participant in the classroom and foster positive relationships with your teachers, especially during your junior and senior years. In addition, taking advantage of the AP courses that your high school has to offer can demonstrate that you're ready to take on a college course-load.

Lastly, I would look into taking the SAT maybe towards the end of your sophomore year or at the beginning of your junior year. Taking it a little earlier than normal will give you time to assess your weak areas and even take a prep course if need be. In my case, studying the prep books on my own helped me more than the prep course actually did, but a lot of my friends found the courses super helpful. I hope that some of these suggestions help! Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Kaitlyn
JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

abhi7810

Transfer Application
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 12:05 PM »
Hi Kaitlyn!

I am thinking of applying to JHU as an international transfer student for the junior year.
1. Could you tell me what is that "special something" that is unique to JHU.
2. How strong is the electrical engineering program at JHU?
3. What points should I include in the essay i.e. should I just stick with academics or should I also write about other aspects such as its geographical location, student life etc.

cmil9

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Hey kaitlyn,

I would like to major in International Studies but I am also interested in doing pre-med. So you seem like a good person to consult. Do you think it is possible to pursue both of these interests and still have time in your schedule to take other “fun” classes that interest you but don’t necessarily correspond to your major? I am also interested in Public Health. do you think it would make more sense to major in Public health and do pre-med than do international studies?

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 08:31 PM »
Hi Cmil9! That's awesome that you're considering International Studies and pre-medicine- it's a great track if I do say so myself :) I actually just spoke with my International Studies adviser and my pre-med adviser about this very question- public health or international studies- so I have a lot of info for you!

In terms of International Studies requirements, they are extremely flexible since you need 6 political science courses, 5 history courses, 4 economics courses, 2 advanced language courses, and a 12 credits (or 4 classes) deemed to be your "concentration". The concentration is where a possible overlap with public health could happen since your concentration can be essentially anything that you want it to be. For example, my concentration is "Global Public Health", which is probably what yours would be as well since the concentration in the IS major can be composed of non-international studies courses/requirements if you so choose.

Also, there is actually a very large overlap between the International Studies major and Public Health major. For example, I'm taking "Global Public Health since WWII" next semester, and this course will count towards one of my history requirements in the IS major and one of my concentration requirements in the IS major. It's also a required course for Public Health majors! (although I'm not a public health major myself) In addition, the public health major overlaps a lot with pre-medicine requirements, so public health would sort of "bridge" the international studies major and pre-medicine requirements in a way.

As for me, I'm a bit of a weird case since I didn't decide upon International Studies until my sophomore year, but I think that if you started the International Studies major as a freshman, then you could definitely double major in International Studies and Public Health. Since you'd be taking a lot of science courses (for pre-med and public health) along with history, political science, language, and econ (for public health and IS), you might not have as much room to take "fun" classes (but in my opinion, a lot of the IS and Public Health courses would be deemed super interesting and fun).  I would also recommend that you plan out your courses as early as possible just to make sure that you can get all of your pre-med requisites done before you're planning on applying to med school (if you're not planning on taking a gap year, that would mean getting all of your pre-med stuff done by the end of your junior year).

Let me know if you have any more questions- I know that was a lot of information!
JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

goingtojhu

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 07:33 PM »
Hey Kaitlyn! You seem to have your whole pre-med track down and ready to go. When are you planning on taking the MCAT and apply for medical school? How did you make that decision? I also heard about this interesting opportunity of being part of HERO. Have you ever considered joining it? What are your thoughts on this club? Being premed stresses me out so much!

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 01:52 AM »
Hey goingtojhu,

Don't worry- I'm pretty sure every premed out there is stressed out as well! I'm planning on taking my MCAT this coming January in 2014. The pre-professional advising office at Hopkins has an internal application process (the HPCA) that JHU med school applicants have to go through in order to receive a committee letter from the advising office (which is required for your med school application). Pre-med students looking to go to medical school immediately following graduation (meaning no gap year) should fill out the HPCA application in the spring right before they apply, so I'm planning on submitting the HPCA in March of 2014 as I am not planning on taking a gap year. I decided to take my MCAT this coming January after talking with Mrs. Syndman, my pre-med adviser. The pre-professional advising staff is tremendously helpful at JHU, so I would recommend that you see an adviser as early as your freshman year- it's never to early to start!

As for HERO, JHU_Nick is actually in the club! I think that it's a wonderful opportunity for pre-meds to gain medical exposure, and if you're interested, you should definitely look into the necessary training and preparations required (I know that there is an extensive training process). There are also plenty of other medically oriented opportunities both on and off campus, so I would recommend going to the club fair in September to get a feel for the different ones out there.

Let me know if you have any more questions! :)
JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

goingtojhu

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Thanks so much for answering! How are biology I and biology II with lab at Hopkins? I'm trying to decide if it will be too hard to pair up with Physics I for biological science majors

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 04:17 PM »
I think that it really depends on your personal preferences! Personally, I think that biology I and II with lab would be great to pair up with physics since the classes are pretty different in terms of learning style and outside assignments. Usually, if you do not want to take a gap year before med school (and you don't have a significant amount of AP credit), you're going to have to double up on science at some point, so I think that this pairing would be a good one. On the other hand, if you do not have AP Chemistry credit, then it might make sense to take Gen Chem along with either biology or physics during your freshmen year, since you'll need to have already taken Gen Chem in order to take Organic Chemistry. Organic Chemistry is now a prerequisite to take Biochemistry, so you might limit yourself if you wait to take Gen Chem over your sophomore year. A lot of students take pre-med sciences over the summer at Hopkins as well so that's something to consider. All this aside, if you're planning on taking a gap year or if you already have AP Chem credit, then I think physics and biology would be a good pairing. If you have to pick one, I'd pick biology to take during your freshman year. They actually have a freshmen-only section of Biology I and II, and I think that it's a good course to take early on since the professors are very approachable and you get a feel for what it takes to do well in an entry level science course at Hopkins. I would also say that biology lab requires significantly less work than either physics lab or chemistry lab. All of this is just my advice as a current undergrad- you can always email one of the advisers in pre-professional advising if you'd like advice from a more authoritative source. As always, feel free to ask any more questions that you might have!
JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

jlee490

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Hi Kaitlyn! My name's Joy, and I'm hoping to be a Spanish and Public Health double major this fall at Hopkins. I should also add that I want to be on the pre-med track. I took a shot in the dark and searched "chemistry physics" in the Hopkins Interactive search bar hoping someone could give me some insight. The search brought me to one of your blogs that outlined your schedule of your first semester freshman year. I've been emailing my advisor about taking Chem I and Physics I together, and he has repeatedly told me that he thinks it might be too much for me to handle. I noticed you also took Intermediate Spanish I, which is also a course I'm planning to take in the fall! My advisor suggested I take Calc II in place of Physics, but I might get credit for Calc so I'd like to try Chem and Physics together under covered grades. I've taken AP Chem and Honors Physics, so I have some sort of a foundation in both. He thinks that Physics plus Chem plus Spanish will just be an overload. What do you think? Did you feel like it was too unmanageable? I'll also be takintg an Expository Writing course and Public Heallth in Film and Media.

goingtojhu

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 06:59 PM »
Hey Kaitlyn, so what meal plan were you on your freshmen and sophomore year? Could you please elaborate on your decision and how you dealt with your meal plan decisions? Especially if you chose only dining dollars your sophomore year!

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 03:46 PM »
Hi Joy! So, personally, I think you will be fine. I took AP chemistry as well and I thought that general chemistry was extremely manageable alongside physics given that background. I didn't have any background in physics like you do, so I definitely put more time into studying for physics and struggled a bit more. Also, keep in mind that medical schools won't see your covered grades, and they won't factor into your math-science GPA. I guess I would start out with those classes at the beginning of the year, and then see if it seems like too much- you can always drop or switch classes before the add/drop period without it appearing on your transcript. I will say that there is a lot of work involved in expository writing (you have a writing assignment pretty much every week), so make sure to budget time in for that. Physics has weekly problem sets that can take anywhere from 2-10 hours, and chemistry weekly assignments are usually less regular (but the exams count for more). Also, keep in mind that you're going to put aside a significant amount of time for Chemistry Lab. Unlike physics and biology labs at Hopkins, the chemistry lab requires a great deal of outside work in order to do well. Hope that helps!
JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Hi goingtojhu! For my freshman year, I chose the unlimited meal plan since I was living in AMR II. I was also on the tennis team, so it was nice to have the unlimited plan since we would go eat as a team after practice a lot. If you're living in one of the AMRs or Buildings A & B, I think that the unlimited plan makes more sense since you're a lot closer to the FFC than you are to Char Mar (the small grocery store where you would spend your dining dollars). On the other hand, if you're living in Wolman or McCoy, it might make more sense to get the dining plan with more dining dollars and less meals. The FFC is open from 7am-8pm, 9pm-12am so you could feasibly eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the freshmen cafeteria. From my own experience, I find that that's usually not the case since there are a lot of nearby restaurants to choose from (subway, quiznos, freshii, chipotle, uni mini, ledo's, carma's, etc.). You can always start out with a specific dining plan and switch meal plans within the first 2 weeks without incurring charges (since they are the same price) if you find that you're eating more/less meals at the FFC than you originally thought you would. The dining service is also undergoing major changes this year since the university has changed food service companies (which should be a good thing I think)!

For my sophomore year, I chose the $1300 dining dollars/semester. This is the "medium plan" in that sophomores have the option to have less dining dollars (I think around 500 or so) or more dining dollars (1650/semester). Sophomores have different dining options since sophomores can live in McCoy, Charles Commons, Bradford, or Homewood Apartments. All of these dorms are closer to Char Mar, Nolan's (a cafeteria inside Charles Commons that accepts dining dollars and meal swipes), and the local restaurants. The $1300/semester plan worked well for me since I was able to buy groceries at Char Mar and salads and sandwiches from Nolan's. Also, keep in mind that if you choose to live in the Homewood Apartments or Bradford, you do not have to purchase a meal plan since the apartments are a bit farther away from campus, and the apartments usually have an oven, fridge, stove, etc.

I wouldn't be too stressed about this since you'll be able to switch at the beginning of the year if you need to :) Hope this helped!
JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Joy:

Thank you so much! This was extremely helpful. How would you say Spanish is? I'm not really sure what to expect, especially without a midterm and final. Thank you, again!

Response:

Spanish is extremely standardized at JHU in that all Spanish classes are structured in a very similar fashion. From beginning to advanced levels, each Spanish course is comprised of 3 midterms spaced evenly throughout the semester (and no final). I find that this actually works to the students' benefit since each midterm covers the material from the past couple of weeks. There are also 2 components of each exam: a written component and an oral component. For intermediate spanish I, the written component is comprised of a grammar section, a reading comprehension section, and a short essay section. The oral component is comprised of in-class mini "skits" or where a group of 2-3 students is given a topic and you're supposed to come up with an impromptu skit in Spanish involving that topic for a certain amount of time. There is also an oral comprehension component in which you answer a few multiple choice questions about a tape recording. The exams are very straight forward in that all of the material is covered by both the professor and can be found in the textbook. For intermediate 1, you will also complete "My Spanish Lab" exercises online for homework points. These exercises mainly go over new grammar and vocabulary, and they generally take 4-6 hours and are spaced out over 2-3 weeks.

I've taken Intermediate I  & II, and Advanced I at Hopkins, and I would highly recommend taking a Spanish class if you're on the fence about it. Maybe it's just me, but I found that taking Spanish was extremely enjoyable and a nice break from the sciences. Most of the professors are from Spanish-speaking countries, and the classes are generally a lot smaller (around 15 students) than a lot of the classes that pre-meds usually take. Let me know if you have any more questions!
JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

goingtojhu

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 12:01 AM »
Hey Kaitlyn, thanks for answering my question! It helped a lot. Now, related to pre-med track. I see that you are taking genetics next semester. Is this to prepare you for the MCAT? Do you need genetics?

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 06:45 PM »
Hey! Genetics isn't actually required to take the MCAT, but I'm planning on applying to a lot of medical schools in Texas and most of them recommend taking a genetics course. Since it's a science, it will also factor into my BCPM. A lot of medical schools have specific additional courses that are either recommended or required, so it doesn't hurt to look into the specific requirements for med schools that you already have in mind!
JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

goingtojhu

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 10:17 PM »
Hello Kaitlyn, sorry I am asking so many questions! I hope you are having a great time in Honduras as I read on your blog! Since you just took biology I have a question about the textbooks. Is the online access component necessary for the biology class? I was reading the textbook exchange that it isn't but I just wanted to make sure!
Thanks!!

JHU_Kaitlyn

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Hey, it's really not a problem- I love answering questions! I would say that the online component is necessary for biology since the professors include important notes and hints within the online e-book that you would otherwise not have access to. The e-book also has a lot of animations and extra study questions that the professors frequently focus on when constructing exam questions. I would say that you could actually forego buying the actual print textbook since the online access component includes the e-textbook. A lot of my friends just had the online component, and it worked well for them!
JHU_Kaitlyn
Class of 2015

International Studies

Read my blog!
Ask me a question!