Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Ruthie- Mechanicsville, VA  (Read 4692 times)

JHU_Ruthie

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Ruthie- Mechanicsville, VA
« on: October 03, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm Ruthie. I was born in Seattle, WA and have lived in Pasadena, CA and Salt Lake City, UT, but my current hometown is in Virginia. I went to Hanover High School in Mechanicsville, VA and did the IB Diploma Program with my Higher Levels in Fine Arts, History of the Americas, and English and my Standard Levels in Spanish, Physics, and Math. I also took a few English and literature courses my sophomore and junior years of high school at Virginia Commonwealth University. I love anything and everything related to the humanities, which is why I plan on majoring in English with a double major in either Spanish or Writing Seminars.

-----------------------------------
Why Hopkins?
To be honest, I hadn't even visited Hopkins when I applied last fall, but now I can't picture myself anywhere else! I know it sounds cliche, but when I finally visited Homewood in April during SOHOP (which I highly recommend!), it just felt like the right fit. Everything from the size of the campus to how friendly all the upperclassmen were (even when I was just a pre-frosh) to the amazing humanities programs (which many people often overlook when considering Hopkins) made Hopkins stand out amongst the other schools that I was considering at the time. Also, my acceptance as a Wilson Fellow played a huge role in my decision to come here. The chance to do research in any subject or field with any faculty mentor and with virtually no limitations is seriously the opportunity of a lifetime!

-----------------------------------
My Classes

Fall 2011
-Calculus I
-Intermediate Spanish I
-American Literature after WWII
-Political Sociology of Latin America
-Professional Communication for Business, Science, and Industry

Spring 2012
-Calculus II
-Intermediate Spanish II
-Intro to Latin American Studies II
-Poetics of Politics and Sex

Fall 2012
-Intro to Social Statistics
-The Contemporary Novel
-Introduction to Literary Study
-Sociology of the Family
-Lights, Camera, Action: Independent Film

Spring 2013
-Introduction to Sociology
-Ethnic American Literature
-Visual Rhetoric
-Early American Literature

Fall 2013
-British Literature I
-Social Theory
-Research Tools and Technologies for the Social Sciences
-Medical Sociology
-Corporate Communications and P.R.
------------------------------------
My Extracurriculars
Woodrow Wilson Undergraduate Research Fellowship: As a Wilson Fellow, I get $10,000 to do my own research and collaborate with a faculty member as a mentor to develop my research project. The research project can be in any field of my choosing and is completed over the course of my four years here at Hopkins. We also have regular meetings and social outings in Baltimore, and at the end of each year, the Wilson seniors present their projects to members of the Hopkins community. I applied for the fellowship when I was filling out my general application for Hopkins, and was invited to join in my acceptance package, but current students can also apply during their freshman year, as well!

Alpha Phi Sorority: Since rushing in the spring of my freshman year, Alpha Phi has become one of my biggest extracurricular involvements. I love that there is such an opportunity to do so many things within our community of sisters -- mixers, date parties, philanthropy, as well as leadership and outreach. I am currently the VP of Recruitment, and work very closely with the rest of our Exec Board to ensure a great experience for potential and current members.

Student Admissions Advisory Board: SAAB is definitely one of my favorite activities on campus! Not only do I get to blog about my life as a freshman, I also get to speak to prospective students and answer their questions about the application process. I know that when I was a prospie not too long ago, I read all of the student and admissions blogs, and now I get to work with the very same people who helped me make my decision, through their blogs, profiles, and videos, to come here!

Johns Hopkins University Press: My sophomore year, I worked part time as a Manuscript Assistant at the Johns Hopkins University Press editing books for publication.
----------------------------------
My Dorm Life:

Freshman year, I lived in Wolman Hall, on 6 West (the building is divided into East and West sides for each of the 7 floors), and I absolutely loved it! My suite consisted of two doubles, and my suitemates and I were really good living companions because we shared a lot of the same eating and sleeping habits. I loved the fact that we have AC and the kitchenette made it easy to make and eat food in the dorms instead of walking all the way to the FFC.

Sophomore year, I lived in Homewood Apartments in an efficiency. I lucked out by getting a really low number in the housing lottery and got first pick of all the dorm options. As much as I loved living in Wolman, I really wanted my own space. My efficiency came with a walk-in closet, my own bathroom, and a small kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator.

Junior year, I am living with one of my best friends (and Alpha Phi sister) in an off-campus apartment!

----------------------------------

That's all for now! If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to ask here! To get a glimpse of my daily life at Hopkins, visit my blog at blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/ruthie
All the best,

Ruthie C.
Class of 2015
English/Sociology
Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

BlancheBunny103

Re: Meet JHU_Ruthie- Mechanicsville, VA
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:41 AM »
Hey Ruthie
I would love to live in Wolman for my freshman year. Did you get Wolman as your first choice?
Can you pls tell me about your experiences with Wolman? =)
Thanxx

JHU_Ruthie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Hi! Thanks for asking me a question! So Wolman Hall is actually just finishing up the Wolman Renovation Project, which started a few months after I moved in in the fall. They've pretty much re-done the entire terrace (basement) level, and it now includes a brand new workout room (which is AWESOME and I've been using it compulsively since it opened last week because it's so nice!), a multi-purpose room with couches and tables for hanging out/studying (which is also really nice, especially when you don't feel like walking to the library to study), a common kitchen, and a movie theater (seats 60 people!).

In light of the recent renovations, I would definitely recommend living in Wolman. I am extremely close with my floormates, and even though everyone says that the AMR's are the more social buildings, I lucked out with my floor because everyone is incredibly social and friendly. Each floor (there are seven on each side) is essentially a grouping of suites, and each suites has two or three rooms that are singles or doubles. So, for example, my suite has two doubles. You also get your own kitchenette (stove, mini fridge, sink, space for a microwave--but no oven) and bathroom, which I personally prefer a lot more to a communal bathroom, which is what the AMR's have. There's also a common room in the middle of each floor with couches, tables, and a TV where you can always find people hanging out or doing homework.

The one bad thing about living in Wolman is that it's not on the Freshman Quad with all of the other freshman dorms. I actually ranked Wolman last when I was choosing housing because I didn't want to feel removed from my fellow classmates, but honestly since coming to Hopkins, my social life hasn't really been hindered at all by not being on the Freshman Quad. However, the Fresh Food Cafe (FFC), where all of the freshmen normally eat, is on that quad, as well, so walking there is sometimes a pain, especially when it snows/rains. We do have Charles Street Market (CharMar) downstairs, though, so it all evens out!

I hope this helped! Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have!
All the best,

Ruthie C.
Class of 2015
English/Sociology
Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

BlancheBunny103

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply =)

I'm also interested in applying for Woodrow Wilson fellowship.
Ruthie where it said "Please provide an example of a possible project you might choose to pursue if selected as a Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow", when you applied did you just outline the aims of a possible project? Did you also detail out the design and procedure? What else did you write?

Thanxx XD

JHU_Ruthie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 02:35 PM »
For my Woodrow Wilson application, I actually used a 4,000 word independent research paper that I had done while I was in high school. I think you are supposed to submit something that shows that you've done some sort of extensive independent research project outside of normal class. However, I know a couple of current Fellows who outlined a general project idea in a paper and submitted that instead. I'm sorry I'm not as helpful, but my suggestion would be to make the project outline as thorough as possible. Best of luck!
All the best,

Ruthie C.
Class of 2015
English/Sociology
Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

rahmasyed17

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:07 PM »
You mentioned that for the Woodrow Wilson Application you submitted a 4000 word independent research paper, I was wondering could you tell us the topic of the paper and if your current research for the fellowship centered around it? Also, by any chance was your 4000 word paper for the International Baccalaureate program?

-Rahma

JHU_Ruthie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Hi,

Yes, it was my extended essay for IB. I researched existentialist philosophy and anxiety, but my current project will probably be something more based in sociology. Hope this helped!
All the best,

Ruthie C.
Class of 2015
English/Sociology
Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

BlancheBunny103

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 07:41 AM »
Hi Ruthie
When you submit your EE in Wilson fellowship application, did you state that it was your EE? =)

JHU_Ruthie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 02:03 PM »
Hi,

I don't think I explicitly stated that it was my Extended Essay, but I described it as a part of the IB Program, so I'm sure whomever read my application was aware of what it was. Hope this helped!
All the best,

Ruthie C.
Class of 2015
English/Sociology
Read my blog!
Ask me a question!