Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Zoe - Baltimore, Maryland  (Read 4200 times)

JHU_Zoe

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Zoe - Baltimore, Maryland
« on: October 03, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Wow, it's been such a long time since I've posted in the forums!

Hey guys- so as an update, here are the classes I took this past spring:
Spring 2013
Elements of Microeconomics
Law Psychology: Clinical Applications
Introduction to Psychology
Game Theory
Statistical Analysis II

This fall I am studying abroad at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland, and here are the classes I have registered for over there (interestingly enough, they don't take as many classes as we do in America! Three is the average).
Fall 2013
God in Philosophy: Plato to Hume
Reading the Old Testament
Psychology Literature Review

If you have any questions, I'll be around the forums and continuing my blog this year while abroad. Best wishes with everything!

Zoë Jack
Class of 2015
Psychological and Brain Sciences
Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

BlancheBunny103

Re: Meet JHU_Zoe - Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:00 AM »
Hi Zoe
Is Wolman the newest dorm at JHU?
Can you pls tell me more about your experiences at Wolman?

JHU_Zoe

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Hey! Thanks for the post. Wolman is the newest dorm at Hopkins. Almost all of the arrangements in the building are suite style, meaning that there are two double rooms that share a bathroom and a kitchenette. (Sometimes you will have a single and a double still sharing the bathroom and kitchen.)

There are pros and cons to Wolman just like every other dorm Hopkins offers. Some of the pros are air-conditioning (!), closer access to Charles Street Market and other restaurants on St. Paul, and (obviously...) a kitchen and a bathroom you only have to share with 3 other people (as opposed to the rest of the hall). In the AMRs or Buildings A and B you don't have a very accessible kitchen, so if you like to cook it is a nice touch.

The biggest "con" of Wolman for me is its separation away from the other freshmen dorms. It is about a 5 minute walk to the AMRs and a little longer for buildings A and B. This year, I have found myself being the only one of my close group of friends who lives in Wolman, so I walk a lot more. This is not a huge problem, but it is an element worth considering. Also, if you are looking for the "traditional" dorm experience (i.e. one coed hallway where everyone keeps their doors open and stays up late chatting...) I would recommend the AMRs.

I would like to end by reminding you that wherever you live, you are bound to be content. Each of the dorms is convenient and pleasant in their own right, and you will make adjustments and be happy wherever you end up! Hope this helps!
Zoë Jack
Class of 2015
Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

Jfreem

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Hi, Zoe!

I saw that you were majoring in English and Economics. I'm interested in both of those fields and possibly doing something in business in the future. Do you think the Economics program at Hopkins prepares students for internships/jobs in business just as well as a business school at another university?

Thanks!

Janice

JHU_Zoe

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:44 PM »
Hey Janice!

Thanks for getting in touch! It's great you're thinking of doing something in business. I am actually planning on getting my MBA and I feel the program at Hopkins is preparing me very well.

Right now I am a declared English major with a potential secondary major of either Economics or Psychology. I am also doing a minor in Entrepreneurship and Management through the Engineering School. Not only is this one of the most popular minors at Hopkins, but it requires you to take amazing classes like Principles of Marketing, Financial Accounting, and Statistics. (Of course, you would probably only find these classes amazing if you were interested in business, which it seems like you are! :) ) I feel this minor is great because you get to focus on another topic (such as English or Economics) while still getting exposure to the business world. I actually think this opportunity is more helpful than majoring in business, and might even be more of an appeal to MBA programs to have majored in another field.

I am taking macroeconomics and microeconomics next year, but the friends I have who have taken it have found them very challenging but rewarding classes. The economics program at Hopkins is very rigorous and will prepare you well for business. If you're interested in talking with someone who has taken more classes in economics, I can get you in touch.

Currently I am looking for an internship in the marketing/finance world for this summer. I am having a really easy time by using Hopkins' own J-Connect. J-Connect is a really cool job/internship/research listing site that is only accessible to the Hopkins community. I have looked at and applied for a few internships through this site, and am also leveraging some of my own connections. I'll probably write a blog on how it turns out, so be sure to check that out!

I'm so happy you got in contact with me! Business is truly my passion, so let me know if you have any more questions! :)

Zoe
Zoë Jack
Class of 2015
Read my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Zoe

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Wow, it's been such a long time since I've posted in the forums!

Hey guys- so as an update, here are the classes I took this past spring:
Spring 2013
Elements of Microeconomics
Law Psychology: Clinical Applications
Introduction to Psychology
Game Theory
Statistical Analysis II

This fall I am studying abroad at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland, and here are the classes I have registered for over there (interestingly enough, they don't take as many classes as we do in America! Three is the average).
Fall 2013
God in Philosophy: Plato to Hume
Reading the Old Testament
Psychology Literature Review

If you have any questions, I'll be around the forums and continuing my blog this year while abroad. Best wishes with everything!
Zoë Jack
Class of 2015
Read my blog!
Ask me a question!