Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Brian - Vancouver, Canada  (Read 8278 times)

JHU_BrianL

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Brian - Vancouver, Canada
« on: September 28, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Hey everybody!! My name is Brian Lo from Vancouver, Canada and I am a freshman here at Johns Hopkins University! I have lived in Canada my whole life and this is the first time I have spent an extended period of time in the United States. To say the least, it's been an awesome experience so far! I plan to double major in Molecular and Cellular Biology and Psychology. I'm excited to be here and talk to prospective students and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I will definitely do my best to answer them. :)

Why Hopkins?

I chose Hopkins because it provided me with so many opportunities academically and athletically. But beyond that, it provided me with the chance to do research with many prominent professors in their respective fields. Something I never realized about Hopkins until I attended the SAC Fair (Student Activities and Clubs Fair,) were the incredible amount of clubs you can be a part of here. There's a club for everything and if there isn't, you can just create one! Moreover, Hopkins has, in my opinion, the most beautiful college campus. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to visit Hopkins before I submitted my application; but I have to say that when I stepped foot on campus during SOHOP I was amazed at the beautiful brick buildings and greenery on campus. But the biggest reason for why I decided to attend Hopkins was me wanting to become part of this nurturing and supportive community. During SOHOP, everywhere I went there were always people asking if I needed help or just willing to talk about their experiences..

My Classes:

Summer 2014:
  • Research
Spring 2014:
  • Organic Chemistry II
  • Introduction of Organic Chemistry Lab
  • Expository Writing: Balancing Security and Freedom
  • Cell Biology
  • Intro to Research
Fall 2013:
  • Organic Chemistry I
  • Intro to Developmental Psychology
  • Expository Writing: Ethics, Moral Psychology, and the Trolley Problem
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Oral Presentations
  • Intro to Research
Summer 2013:
  • Forensic Psychology: Soup to Nuts
  • American Contemporary Classics
Spring 2013:
  • Calculus II (For Biological Science Majors)
  • General Physics II (For Biological Science Majors)
  • General Physics Lab II
  • Introduction to Social Psychology
  • Professional Communication for Science, Business, and Industry
  • Freshman Seminar: Microbes in the Media
Intersession 2013:
  • Foreign Gene Expression Laboratory
Fall 2012:
  • Calculus I (For Biological Science Majors)
  • General Physics I (For Biological Science Majors)
  • General Physics Lab I
  • Foundations of Brain, Behavior and Cognition
  • Phage Hunting
  • Freshman Seminar: Tuberculosis
  • Freshman Seminar: From Genes to DNA and Back

My Extracurriculars

Student Admissions Advisory Board (SAAB): SAAB is a select group of students who help the admissions department reach out to prospective students through blogging, forum posts, working at the open houses, and other admissions projects. Currently, I am a blogger on the Class of 2016 Freshman Blog which is great because I am able to tell students about my experiences, triumphs, and struggles throughout my freshman year. Hopkins Interactive helped me so much throughout my application process and I am glad I have the opportunity to help others by writing about my own personal experiences.

Hopkins Hosting Society: I am on the leadership board for the Hopkins Hosting Society. As you can probably tell, I love working with the admissions department to recruit new students and this is just another way for me to help students fall in love with Hopkins. As a group, we help with the Fall Overnight Open Houses and SOHOP in the Spring by organizing and carrying out activities during the day. Along with this, I also hope to get involved with the Blue Key Society (Tour Guides) later in the semester.

Hopkins Swim Club: I have been a competitive swimmer for the past 10 years and wanted to continue my passion for swimming throughout college. We practice three times a week and attend around two to three meets every semester.

HOPE: HOPE stands for Hopkins Organization for Pre-Health Education. This organization brings in speakers ranging from current medical students to doctors in the field who come in and speak to us about opportunities that lie in the medical field. In addition, we sometimes go on volunteer trips around Baltimore a few times per semester. The goal of this group is to increase exposure of various health professions to current students, regardless of major.

Dorm Life:

I am living in Charles Commons during my sophomore year and I couldn't be more excited! I'll be living on the 11th floor in a two-person suite with my friend James. We got a 11 month contract in case we decided we wanted to stay throughout the summer next year. I'm so excited to be living in Commons next year because I have heard nothing but great things about it and I love how it is so close to everything both on and off campus.

During my freshman year, I lived in a single room in Building A. During freshman year, I really wanted to be on campus near the freshman quad and all the buildings. All my classes are within a 5 minute walk from my building, which is incredibly convenient and I live right above the FFC! One of the great things about the Buildings are that they are climate controlled. Coming from Vancouver where the weather is nothing spectacular, I consider Baltimore weather to be incredibly hot, so air conditioning was at the top of my list when I was choosing my housing. I have to say, I'm really loving my choice of choosing Building A as my residence. I've met some of my best friends here and since it is suite style, you have the choice of being incredibly social or keeping your room quiet to study.

Follow Me!!!

So if anyone has questions about any aspect of Hopkins, please feel free to ask! You can read all about my experiences at http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/2016/author/brianl/

All the best,
Brian Lo
Brian Lo
JHU Class of 2016
Molecular and Cellular Biology and Psychology

"Pain is Temporary, Quitting lasts Forever" - Lance Armstrong

hofilena

Re: Meet JHU_Brian - Vancouver, Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:04 PM »
hi brian! :) I recently got recruited for fencing by the JHU coach (actually I found out during the summer).  I sent my transcripts and scores and the coach said I am able to attend JHU if I wanted to (basically pre-accepted)! Last saturday, I did the open campus tour and absolutely FELL IN LOVE with the campus, students, and the professors.  I was completely speechless, the feeling of the university is amazing and it definitely hit me: This was my school.  I'm officially applying ED and i'm very excited. :)

How do you like your college experience so far? 
I understand that it is a really competitive school but it's not a "cutthroat" or "antisocial" life style right?

Maybe i'll see you around next year! :)
~Alyssa

JHU_BrianL

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:54 PM »
Hey Alyssa!

I'm so happy to hear that you will be applying ED to Hopkins!!! I'm also really glad that you enjoyed the open house last saturday! Hopkins is an amazing school and I love it even though I've only been here for just over a month. In my opinion, the greatest thing about Hopkins is the abundance of extracurricular activities on campus; it's really easy to find something you like, and if you can't find it you could always create your own club! Another great aspect of Hopkins is that almost all of the classes are taught by professors who are incredibly approachable if you ever need help. They all want you to learn the material and understand it, which is great because it gives you a strong base for future classes. Without a doubt, Hopkins is in no way "cutthroat" or "antisocial." I personally have never done a problem set for physics or calculus by myself. Normally, a group of my friends and I work together on the problem sets and teach each other aspects of the course we don't understand. We all try to help each other do well on the homework and the same goes for tests. We all want each other to succeed. Moreover, Hopkins is definitely not "antisocial." There are many things to do on campus and you can always see people just hanging out in the dorms, playing frisbee on the beach, or going out to the Inner Harbor on weekends. Baltimore is an amazing city and there is transportation to and from most places in Baltimore from Hopkins, which makes a quick trip to downtown really convenient. I mean, I have visited many different places, including the Inner Harbor (which if you haven't visited yet, it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to,) and I've only been here for a month. I'm loving my experience at Hopkins so far, it is a great school with so many opportunities for its students.

Best of luck!   
Brian Lo
JHU Class of 2016

hofilena

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Thank you for replying & answering my questions in an honest way!
This definitely made me love Hopkins even more, and I'm so excited that I'll possibly be there next year!

Thank you again for answering back and I hope you have an amazing freshman year :)

JHU_BrianL

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Haha no problem! I'm glad I could help :). If you have any other questions, feel free to ask... Best of luck with the application process!
Brian Lo
JHU Class of 2016

mdjr

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 09:42 AM »
Although I've never seen the JHU campus, I'm really excited that my son was an ED admit into the BME program.  I'm trying to find the best way for us to see the campus in April.  It seems there is SOHOP and then "April visit" days for admitted students.  What is the difference?  It appears that SOHOP may be more crowded and may not give us as detailed a look at the campus.  Any input would be welcomed.
thanks in advance.

jr

JHU_BrianL

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 02:56 PM »

Hello!

First off, congratulations on being accepted into the BME program!! That's truly an incredible accomplishment!

I personally never attended the April visit days but I did have the opportunity to attend SOHOP. The main difference between the two is that SOHOP normally has more students and parents attending as it is centered around the admitted new students and giving them the opportunity to get a sense of what college life is like. Though there are more people there, around 600 at each of the two SOHOP's, it's still a great chance to get a detailed look at campus. There is a lot of freedom in terms of what you want to do... like you can go on tours, attend panel discussions, talk to current students, and even attend classes that interest you. Basically, SOHOP provides you with a glimpse into what college life is like and a chance to really speak to current students about what to expect in college and what to look forward to.

April visit days are quite similar in terms of the daytime events that occur in that you still will get to experience what college is like. There will be less people here compared to SOHOP. Both are incredible opprotunities to visit and I really encourage you to attend at least one of these programs. I attended SOHOP and it only got me more excited at the prospect of attending Hopkins in the fall.

Best of luck!!

Brian Lo
Brian Lo
JHU Class of 2016

mdjr

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 11:15 AM »
thanks for the prompt response.  it will be helpful to us. 

have a good semester.

jr

madein1793

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Hi Brian,
         I am an International student presently studying an undergraduate course in a college in New York. I want to transfer to Hopkins and study Environmental Engineering, could you please tell me what the requirements are for a successful transfer and also the GPA i need to have acquired from my present school.

Thank you.

JHU_BrianL

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 08:26 PM »

Hello!

Most of the information regarding transfer applications can be found on the JHU website: http://apply.jhu.edu/apply/transfer.html. Applicants who are transferring need to have at least 12 semester hours of credit and a minimum GPA of 3.0. However, please remember that all applications are viewed in a holistic manner. They take into account not just your GPA, but many other factors including passion, extracurricular activities, and an ability to contribute to campus life at Johns Hopkins University.

Since you are an international student, depending on your background in English you may have to submit a TOEFL score. Also, you will have to submit an International Student Certification of Finances Form along with your application.

Hope this helped!

Brian Lo
Brian Lo
JHU Class of 2016

jeffbai996

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Hi Brian,

I'm Jeff, a student from Shanghai American School and a prospective applicant for the Hopkins Class of 2018. I will be visiting JHU and possibly taking an on-campus interview in July.

I was immediately drawn to your profile as I was raised in Vancouver as well. I could've sworn I had seen your name or face somewhere during my time at St. George's (from 2003-2008). A Facebook search confirmed this for me. So hello fellow Georgian! Either way, I'm glad to have found your forum/blog and appreciate the outreach you are doing for prospective students.

It would be great to get in contact as I have a ton of questions about Hopkins, the research opportunities, student life, etc. etc.

Anyways, I want to begin by asking about the pre-med program at Hopkins. What is it like? Can you tell me more about what one can be expected to partake in as a pre-med student?

Thanks!

Jeff

JHU_BrianL

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Hey Jeff!

It's great to hear from you! Haha it's awesome to know that you attended Saints as well and I hope everything's going well for you right now! I'm glad you're considering Hopkins because it really is a great school... feel free to ask all your questions hear on these forums. I'll make sure to answer them all lol

With regards to being a pre-med student here at Hopkins, Hopkins has an absolutely incredible pre-med program. We actually have a whole office here at Hopkins, the pre-professional advising program, that helps students through the pre-medical process and applying to medical school. Though it is a rigorous program, it is totally worthwhile. As a pre-med student, you can expect to take the following courses at Hopkins:

2 semesters of general (inorganic) chemistry with associated labs
2 semesters of organic chemistry with associated lab 1
(JHU has a one semester, 3-credit organic chemistry lab)
2 courses in biology with associated labs
1 course in biochemistry
2 courses in general physics with associated labs
2-3 courses in mathematics
2 courses in English/Writing Seminars
Coursework in humanities and social sciences

There is so much help here at Hopkins to help students through the pre-medical program. Here at Hopkins though, pre-med is only a "concentration," you cannot come to Hopkins to study "pre-med." You will be majoring in a subject of your choice and completing pre-med requirements concurrently. In my opinion, this is really good because it allows you to expand your interests and breadth of knowledge by getting a well-rounded education. Just remember that you do not have to major in the sciences to go to medical school. You can major in any subject you want, regardless of whether it is in the humanities or the sciences.

A lot of pre-med students also partake in the various research opportunities either here at the Homewood campus or on the medical campus. There are a lot of research opportunities and labs to be a part of here at Hopkins. But yeah, basically the pre-medical program here is awesome haha and the school does a lot for its students to help them through this process.

Hope that helped!
Brian Lo
JHU Class of 2016

jeffbai996

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 04:08 AM »
Hi Brian!

Things are going well. I'm just about to enter into the home stretch for the whole college process. Having said that, do you have any tips for the application process? Is there anything I should look out for? Anything specific to Hopkins?

In any case, thank you for your speedy (and detailed) response. I'll be looking forward to asking more questions in the coming days.

Given Hopkins' reputation in science and medicine I'm not entirely surprised that the pre-med program would be similarly excellent. What would a freshman going through the pre-med concentration be expected to take (i.e. what would a week's schedule look like)?

Additionally, what research opportunities can freshmen take up at Hopkins? I've interned at a lab for the last half year or so and it would be great to continue doing research as soon as I enter college.

What's advising like for pre-meds? I'm a first-generation college-goer with no family background in science/medicine so being able to network with a mentor or an adviser of sorts would be great.

Anyways, thanks again for answering my questions. I appreciate it!

Cheers
Jeff

JHU_BrianL

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 09:34 PM »

Hey Jeff!

Honestly, for the whole application process, just be yourself. Be honest and thoughtful and it will come through as you write your essay. But yeah, I know that sounds really generic but it really is the best advice. College applications are stressful, but if you look at it in terms of just trying to show people how far you've come throughout high school and what you've accomplished and how its affected your life, then I'm sure you'll be fine.

The average amount of credits a student at Hopkins takes is 15 credits. Classes can range anywhere from 1-4 credits, and the number of credits normally correlates to the number of hours the class meets every week. Like physics, for example, meets for 3  50-minute lectures and 1 50-minute section every week and it a 4 credit class. How your freshman schedule looks depends on what you major in and what AP credits you come in with.  I have friends who took harder classes because some came in with a large number of AP credits and some didn't come in with as many. It really depends... I know that's not a great answer but yeah haha. Normally though, students in their freshman year end up taking a variety of classes across many disciplines to try and find their passion and what specifically they are interested in. Just for comparison, they say in high school you spend around 35-40 hours in class and 15-20 hours outside of class doing work. In college, its flipped... you spend 15-20 hours in class and much more time outside of class (30-40 hours) doing your own work. There's a lot more time for yourself to distribute as you please.

There are a ton of research opportunities for students at Hopkins. You can do research at the Homewood campus or at the medical campus. Researchers and PI's are always looking for undergraduate students to work in their lab as long as they commit for an extended period of time.

Yeah, Hopkins has an incredible advising system. If you are an Arts and Science student, you will get a general advisor during your first year at Hopkins and depending on your major, you will then get an advisor in that department you plan to major in. If you are an engineering student, you will get an advisor directly in engineering during your first year. We also have pre-professional advising, where students can set up appointments and meet with all our pre-med, pre-law, and pre-dental advisors to talk about classes, scheduling, and MCAT's. They're really helpful and will help you throughout the whole application process.

Best,

Brian Lo
Brian Lo
JHU Class of 2016

jeffbai996

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Hey Brian,

Thank you so much for your response and the detailed info on the scheduling, pre-professional advising, etc.! I'm trying hard to get everything together for my applications right now but things are still going a little slow :(

I'm visiting Hopkins and having an on-campus interview around the 26th of July. Needless to say I'm quite excited about being able to see the school I've been researching over the past year! Do you have any suggestions about the places I should look out for?

Thanks again!

Regards,
Jeff

JHU_BrianL

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 12:40 PM »

Hey Jeff,

Best of luck on that on-campus interview! Well, Baltimore is an incredible city. If this is the first time you are here, I'd recommend, as most people/tourists would say, going down to the Inner Harbor just to experience it. It's a lot of fun down there and it's incredibly beautiful. How long are you here for? Because if you are here longer you could also visit a few of the museums near campus or Fells Point.. or you could go to an Orioles Game. I think they're playing on the 26th lol.

On campus, I'd recommend you go on a campus tour so you can just learn about all the buildings and everything Hopkins has to offer... and try to just walk in the area around campus to get a feel for the environment that you will be surrounded in if you come here. There's the Baltimore Museum of Art you can go to which is almost on campus as well. My favorite buildings on campus would have to be Gilman Hall and the newly built Brody Learning commons, and you'll see those on campus if you go on a tour.

Hope that helps you plan out your trip better.

Brian Lo
Brian Lo
JHU Class of 2016

jeffbai996

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Hi Brian,

I had a wonderful time visiting Baltimore and Johns Hopkins. I actually got to stay down at the Inner Harbor during my time here and it was absolutely beautiful. I didn't have time to visit many other things, though.

I went on a campus tour as well and saw both of the locations you mentioned. The campus really is quite nice.

Thanks for all the info and help in the past few months; I really appreciate it. Anyway, the time has come to hunker down and start the Common App. Oh joy..

Jeff

JHU_BrianL

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 01:53 PM »

Hey Jeff,

I'm glad that you enjoyed your time here at Hopkins! It really is a great city with so many things to do. Haha yeah, I personally love this campus. I'm happy that I could have been of some help to you. Best of luck with the common app essay! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Brian Lo
Brian Lo
JHU Class of 2016

kayrel22

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Hi,
    My name is Kayrel and I'm from St. Vincent and the Grenadines. I can really use some help with this application process, because so far it's very confusing. Can you help?

JHU_BrianL

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 02:42 AM »

Hello Kayrel!

Of course, I can try my best to help you. Which aspect of the application confused you?

Best,
Brian Lo
Brian Lo
JHU Class of 2016

atousa

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 06:36 AM »
Hey dear Brian. my name Is Atousa and I'm an international student.I'm from Iran.so sorry If I can't speak English  well.right now I'm 14 years old and I want to apply for Us univercities but I need to get Fund.do you now any thing about Funds for Biomedical science students In This univercity?
and another thing.here in Iran we can't take SAT exams.What should I do?
Thank you for you'r helps.
Never say never

JHU_BrianL

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 06:05 PM »

Hello!

Thank you for your questions. With regards to financial aid for undergraduate students, Hopkins provides an incredible amount of aid for incoming students. Financial aid is need-based so the amount one receives if they get financial aid is dependent on how much they need/family income. There are also various work-study programs that are available to students where they have the ability to both study and work on campus. More information about financial aid can be found on this website: http://www.jhu.edu/finaid/prosp_stud.html. If you have any questions about financial aid directly, I would contact the JHU financial aid office as they work to directly with students with regards to any questions they have about financial aid.

For your second question, I would ask the admissions department here at Hopkins about what to do if Iran does not offer SAT exams. Unfortunately, I am unable to answer that question for you. The contact information for the admissions department is: (410) 516-8171 or gotojhu@jhu.edu. I hope this helped. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask here.

Regards,
Brian Lo
Brian Lo
JHU Class of 2016

atousa

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 04:58 AM »
thank you so much for your good information.
Never say never

rarapie

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 11:58 AM »
Hey Brian! This is Sarah, also from Shanghai American School! (I was so surprised when I saw a fellow SAS eagle's post on your forum!! )

I was wondering what made you apply specifically to and select JHU even without the chance of visiting the campus. Was it mostly based on what you intended to study or? I, too, unfortunately wasn't able to visit during the summer.. but still, even by reading the posts on Hopkins interactive and catching up on every social media (haha I know, what a creep), I'm completely in LOOOVE with Hopkins!

And do you have any suggestions or tips for applying ED?

Thanks! :]

JHU_BrianL

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 11:16 AM »

Hello Sarah!

It's great to hear from you, sorry for the late response. I've been incredibly busy this past week.

There were a few factors that were important to me when I was applying to college. Coming from Vancouver, Canada on the west coast, I really wanted to move away and live on my own for four years. So I mostly applied to schools on the east coast. I also wanted to go to a relatively small school, which Hopkins definitely is. But beyond that I guess, as you already mentioned, I knew I wanted to study a subject relating to the sciences and Hopkins definitely provided me with, in my opinion, really good opportunities in the field and I felt like I would gain so much from coming here. So that's why I applied and then when I was accepted I went to SOHOP and then decided that I really wanted to come.

I personally applied RD. But I know that applying ED definitely shows your commitment to the school and your passion for wanting to attend. Since it is binding, you are required to attend if you have been accepted. With regards to the application, I'm sure you've heard this a million times but just be yourself. If you be yourself all your talents and passions will shine through in your application. Probably the most important thing, is that early decision applicants knows that Hopkins is the best FIT for them. That's what I would suggest for applying ED. There's actually a blog writing about applying ED or RD and and I'll post the link right here: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/blog/category/early-decision/

Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Brian Lo
Brian Lo
JHU Class of 2016