Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Grace-Mullica Hill, NJ  (Read 5149 times)

JHU_Grace

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Grace-Mullica Hill, NJ
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:37 AM »
Hi! I'm Grace A., and I'm from small town New Jersey, right next to Philadelphia. I'm a Writing Seminars major who spends a lot of my time defending C level of the library and searching for Baltimore's best pizza. All I want in this life is to be able to do a backflip, which will never happen. However, I am capable of answering all your questions about Hopkins, so please ask away!

Why Hopkins?
I actually applied Early Decision--Hopkins was my dream school--and I've never regretted my decision. The writing program here is simply superb, and the opportunities to succeed are unparalleled. Hopkins is challenging, yes, but every difficulty I've faced in my two years here has left me stronger and more prepared. If you're prepared to do the work and truly want to learn, I can't think of any better place for you to spend the next four years.

My Classes

Spring 2014
Advanced Poetic Forms II
Intermediate Fiction: Outdoor Stories
The Novelty of the Novel
Intermediate Spanish II
Intro to Modern Philosophy

Fall 2013
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Fiction
Intro to Poetry
Intermediate Spanish I
Making America: Race, Radicalism, and Reform

Spring 2013
Modern British Poetry
Greek Philosophy: Plato and His Predecessors
Intro to Comp Politics
Spanish Elements II
Fiction Poetry Writing II

Intersession 2013
The Fitzgeralds in Baltimore

Fall 2012
Occidental Civilization: Europe and the Wider World
Religion and Violence in the US: 1851-2001
Intro to Fiction and Poetry I
Literature of the American South
Conversations with the Earth

My Extracurriculars
SAAB: This is why I'm posting on the forums! SAAB allows me to channel my love of Hopkins into helping recruit prospective students and show them why our school is absolutely the best (seriously though). I love SAAB because not only does it allow me to participate in the admissions process, which I always found fascinating, but it lets me give back to Hopkins and is also a super-fun and creative way to spend my time and bring the best and brightest to our school! I always dreamed about being on SAAB reading the blogs and forums as a prospective student, and now here I am-weird!
Writing Center Tutor: The Writing Center is a free resource for students located in the Hutzler Reading Room in Gilman. Anyone can go there and get help with their papers, whether they need assistance with the planning stage or with what's almost their final draft. It's probably my favorite thing I get to do on campus.
Admissions Representative: Finally, I can do what I've always wanted to at Hopkins--conduct interviews for prospective students! I had a particularly positive experience with my own student interviewer when I went through the application process, and I hope I can provide that same mix of enthusiasm and fun.

Dorm Life

I currently live in a triple in the Bradford Apartments. A lot of people don't know about Bradford, and I have no idea why; I think it's one of the best living options on campus. Bradford is a sophomore dorm, but it's set up fully apartment-style. I'll have a living room, a full kitchen, my own bedroom, and will be sharing a bathroom with one other friend. Wolman was great, but this is a huge step up. Something that especially drew me to Bradford was that you don't have to get a meal plan if you live there. I didn't use my meal plan half as much as I thought I would last year, and I cook a lot in my apartment to save money, so this is perfect!

Last year I lived in Wolman-shoutout to 5 East! Look, guys, don't listen to what anyone tells you: Wolman is the best. I know everyone says that about their dorms, but it's true. Wolman has air conditioning (and, let me tell you, it is HOT those first few weeks), privacy, common rooms, its own private gym and computer rooms, and is conveniently right next to CharMar, which means you can run out for yummy snacks and sandwiches whenever you want. A lot of people complain that Wolman is far from other things on campus, but really it's just across the street, and besides, I don't mind a little extra walking-it prevents you from gaining the freshman 15!

Follow Me!
If you have any questions, or just want to say hi, feel free to ask me a question on the forums! I'm friendly, I promise. I also blog a lot, so you can check that out at http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/2016/author/grace/

Also, if you guys want live updates on what I'm doing at Hopkins, feel free to follow me on Twitter at @JHU_Grace!
Grace A.
Class of 2016
Writing Seminars

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center."
- Kurt Vonnegut

twitter.com/JHU_Grace

Betty

Re: Meet JHU_Grace-Mullica Hill, NJ
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 12:02 AM »
Hello, I am a prospective student who loves JHU the way you do: It's my dream school.
I am a newbie to this forum so I am not sure if you are the right person to answer this question.
Anyway, I have sent an interview request, which was rejected because there is no alumni in my area.
However, these days I am going to another place, where may exist some alumni. In this case, could I request again? I am eager to talk to someone from JHU, even though it's only a short discussion. I hope you could understand my feelings.

JHU_Grace

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 12:26 AM »
Hi Betty! So nice to talk to someone who's super-enthusiastic about JHU! I'm sorry you don't have any alumni interviewers in your current area. However, if you'll be staying somewhere else in the near future, I don't see why it would be a problem for you to request another interview in that particular area. If it's not too far away, you could also come to the JHU Homewood campus and receive an on-site student interview, which would eliminate the problem of not having any alumni in your area. I actually came to campus for a student interview, but I do know that, whether you are interviewed by a student or an alumni, the process is handled and weighted the same.
However, if for some reason you can't arrange an alumni interview in this new area or come to JHU for a current student interview, don't worry! JHU admissions interviews are a completely optional part of the application process. It will certainly not be held against you if, just because of some geographic or other circumstance, you can't arrange for an interview. Anyway, interviews tend to be less of a "grill session" where some alumni/student pegs you with questions about your GPA and extracurriculars than an informal back-and-forth that allows you to learn more about Hopkins! So, bottom line, I'm fairly confident you can try to get another interview, but if for whatever reason it doesn't work out, please don't worry. Just focus on letting your enthusiasm for JHU shine through all of the other parts of your application! :)
Hope this helped,
Grace
Grace A.
Class of 2016
Writing Seminars

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center."
- Kurt Vonnegut

twitter.com/JHU_Grace

janaysmith24

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Hi Grace!

I'm also from Jersey, but from a small town named Buena (trust me if you blinked you would miss it). How easy was it for you to adjust to the different lifestyle of Baltimore? I'm extremely excited to be attending Johns Hopkins, but a little nervous. Any advice? :)

-Janay

JHU_Grace

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:09 PM »
Hey Janay!

I'm actually so excited right now because I absolutely do know where Buena is--my brother goes to St. Augustine Prep in Richland! I drive through Buena all the time when I'm home. Anyway, coming from a very similar atmosphere, I would say it was actually really easy making the adjustment to Baltimore. The thing to keep in mind is that though Hopkins is technically in a city, our campus is relatively isolated from the actual "hustle and bustle" part of city life. If you're on one of the quads, it's really easy to forget that you're not in the country! However, I would say that the biggest difference I found was that in Baltimore, there's always something to do. Coming from a small town in NJ, I'm sure you get bored with the lack of excitement and cool things to do on the weekends--I know I did. But, though Hopkins isn't in the center of the city, it's really easy to find transportation to all different parts of Baltimore where there's always something going on. You can explore Fells Point, go out to eat in the Inner Harbor, or thrift shop in Hampden! You really don't ever get bored here, which was definitely a big change for me. Totally a good one, though! :) Also, it's really not dangerous. I mean, there are bad parts of all cities, but I've never, ever felt unsafe. And that's not just me saying that because I work for Admissions. Our security team rocks.

Hm, advice for a fellow Jersey girl? Okay, let's see. Well first off, congratulations on your acceptance! I would tell you to really own the fact that you got in--never let your fellow students make you feel intimidated or less accomplished. You had to be pretty darn exceptional to get in, and while it may be easy to let one bad grade get you down, I think it's always important to remember that you really do deserve to be at Hopkins. Also, take advantage of covered grades and get involved--I really can't stress that enough. I chose to get involved in a lot of clubs and activities really early in my fall semester and I'm especially glad because it allowed me to befriend a lot of upperclassmen I wouldn't have gotten the chance to know otherwise (among other things, they give great advice and know all the good places to eat around campus!) and gave me an outlet to let loose when school got too rough. And don't be afraid to have fun! Contrary to popular belief, Hopkins has a great social scene, and if you take advantage of that in moderation it'll really be to your benefit.

Wow, I wrote a lot. Sorry for getting a little too enthusiastic here! But anyway, please feel free to ask me any more questions! It's not too often I get to talk to someone from south Jersey at Hopkins, and I'd be happy to do anything to make your transition to freshman year easier! :)

Best,
Grace
Grace A.
Class of 2016
Writing Seminars

- Kurt Vonnegut

twitter.com/JHU_Grace

janaysmith24

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:57 PM »
Thank you so much! That helped a lot and I'm very glad that I won't be too bored at Hopkins. Thanks again!

-Janay

p.s. My brother goes to the St. Augustine Prep too! :)

JHU_Grace

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Wow that's so cool! I hope he likes it! And sure, just let me know if you need anything else!! :)
Grace A.
Class of 2016
Writing Seminars

- Kurt Vonnegut

twitter.com/JHU_Grace

mdjr

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 09:38 AM »
Although I've never seen the JHU campus, I'm really excited that my son was an ED admit into the BME program.  I'm trying to find the best way for us to see the campus in April.  It seems there is SOHOP and then "April visit" days for admitted students.  What is the difference?  It appears that SOHOP may be more crowded and may not give us as detailed a look at the campus.  Any input would be welcomed.
thanks in advance.

jr

JHU_Grace

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 11:53 PM »
Hi JR!
Congrats to your son on his admission! I think you guys will love the campus--it's absolutely beautiful. I went to SOHOP last year, and while I definitely enjoyed my experience, it felt to me like more of a way to get a feel for the students who might be coming to Hopkins with you (lots of group activities, ect--though there were tours of the grounds and the dorms) than an opportunity to get a comprehensive feel for the campus. That said, if it works out that you can only come to SOHOP, you're absolutely not missing out! However, if you're really looking to get the best sense of the Homewood campus, I'd recommend you'd come during April. Since the calendar for the April visitation events won't be posted until March, I can't really give you an idea of what those days might entail, but as someone who visited the campus individually a few times--aside from any SOHOP-like program--I think that there's a huge benefit to just walking around the campus with your family and (hopefully) even talking to some current students! Definitely take some time away from the hustle and bustle of admitted students activities and really try to get a sense of the day-to-day life for Hopkins students. Who knows--maybe you'll even see me! :)
Hope this answer helped, and I wish your son the best of luck for the next four years! He's going to love it, trust me.
Best,
Grace
Grace A.
Class of 2016
Writing Seminars

- Kurt Vonnegut

twitter.com/JHU_Grace

mdjr

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Thanks so much for the response.  Have a good semester.

jr

Kylelawtner48

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 04:06 AM »
Hi Grace,

I was wondering if it was true that there are secret societies on campus? Male ones?

-Kyle

JHU_Grace

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Hey Kyle--

Wouldn't that ruin the secret? :)
Grace A.
Class of 2016
Writing Seminars

- Kurt Vonnegut

twitter.com/JHU_Grace

ness257

Hey
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Hello I'm Ness I'm french! I would talk to you in private so can you give me your mail?