Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Laura - Bogota, Colombia  (Read 3938 times)

JHU_LauraG

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Laura - Bogota, Colombia
« on: September 28, 2012, 06:05 PM »
Hey guys! My name is Laura. I was born in Bogota, Colombia but I currently live in a small town near Miami, Florida. I am a Writing Seminars and German double major!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Hopkins?

I really did not know I would come here until I visited. I had applied to a million schools because I really did not know what I wanted out of a college experience. College in Colombia is very different, so my family and I really did not understand how it would work here. I applied to schools that were great in the sciences, and Hopkins fell into that category. I knew my grandma had come here in the 50's, but she had never really talked much about it. As soon as I stepped on campus during SOHOP, I knew this was IT. Not to sound like it was some cliche love at first sight type thing, but that's exactly what it was. I loved how everyone was so dedicated. There's something here for everyone! I also lovedddddddddd the dorms. My host during SOHOP was fabulous, so I really got to know how Hopkins life really is. After I left, I called my grandma, and I told her that I decided to come here. Then, the stories started. Turns out she LOVED it here, but she hadn't wanted to influence my decision. Imagine her happiness when I told her I committed. Why Hopkins? Because this really feels like home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Classes

Fall 2012
Adv. German I
Introduction to Fiction and Poetry
Introduction to Cognitive Neuropsychology
Introduction to Brain, Behavior, and Cognition
Calculus I

Spring 2013
Adv. German II
Introduction to Fiction and Poetry II
Calculus II
Applied Chemical Equilibrium and Reactivity
Medical Sociology

Fall 2013
Introduction to Fiction
Readings in Fiction
Introduction to Greek Philosophy
Detective Fiction in its Nascence
Contemporary German Literature

On-Campus Activities

SAAB:  We are the ones you talk to! The Student Admissions Advisory Board is a great way to help high schoolers decide whether Hopkins is their match! SAAB helped me last year, so I hope to help you guys this year!

Dance Marathon: I am in charge of talking to patient's families and to develop a connection between the club and the patients in order to help them more! We do a dance at the end of the year. It's pretty awesome! You guys should totally check it out.

Capoeira: Most people don't know what this is. It is a Brazilian Martial Art that was started by African Slaves. They made it seem like a dance by using instruments and dance-like movements, but it really is a great way to defend yourself. I enjoy it so much:D

Outdoor Pursuits: I am a fan of the great outdoors. I aspire to climb Kilimanjaro one day, and leading in OP is the greatest preparation for it!

Dorm Life

Let's just say that Wolman IS the place to be at. We not only have a movie theater, a gym, a computer room, a study room, a huge kitchen, and awesome suites, we also have AIR CONDITIONING. I love it. My floor is quite social. I think we are a big happy family. It may be a little far from my classes ( about 5 minutes walking... yes, I'm lazy) but it is totally worth it. Any questions about Wolman LET ME KNOWW

As a Sophomore, I will be living in McCoy! Group housing is such a great option because I got to choose to live with my best friends!

Thanks for reading! If you have any Hopkins related questions let me know. COME TOOOO HOPKINSS! ITS AMAAAZING. (I know.. I overdid it.. but I just reallly love it here.)
Laura Grau
German and Writing Seminars
Class of 2016
Read my awesome blog!

"You can't let the love hide in the darkness."
~Sandy Vanessa Ruiz

Oahm95

Re: Meet JHU_Laura - Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 10:33 PM »
Hi, Laura!
 My name is Oscar, and I live in Guayaquil, Ecuador. I am worried about the chance that I have to get admitted to Johns Hopkins. I know Johns Hopkins is selective. I took the ACT plus writing, and I got 28 in the composite score. But I have really good school grades, and I have a high score in my TOEFL (106). I am interested in a Biology or Neurosciences major. I have taken some SAT Subject tests (Bio E 750, and Chemistry 700). Do you think that my application might be obscured by my tests scores?
I think that you could help me the most since you are from a South American country, and so am I.

JHU_LauraG

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Hi Oscar.
Thank you for writing me! I am sorry that it took me so long to answer! It was thanksgiving break this weekend, and I hadn't gotten a chance to check the forums.

Your question is very specific to your test scores. Unfortunately, I am not an admissions officer, so I can't tell you if something will or will not get you into Hopkins.

What I can tell you:
It took me so long to learn this last year, but I am glad I did. When applying to Hopkins, I always questioned whether I was "good enough" or if I had "high enough test scores." Something that I have learned, though, is that I am not defined by numbers. Universities look for students that are well-rounded. Yes, the scores do matter, but the person behind them is what counts! As long as you show yourself on your application, you are doing all you can. Show them your passions, your dreams, your goals...

The rest is up to the admissions officers!!

&Whatever happens, remember that college is a match to be made, not a prize to be won!
Laura Grau
Class of 2016
Read my awesome blog!

~Sandy Vanessa Ruiz

Deeemy

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:31 PM »
Hello there!

Yesterday I just found out that I was admitted early decision to JHU, Class of 2017! :)
I am beyond excited. I am a little nervous though, because its so far away from home (I live in Miami!)

I was wondering if you had any advice, tips, etc?

JHU_LauraG

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 11:46 PM »
Hey Demy:)
Congrats on getting into Hopkins! I wasn't ED, but getting my admissions decision was the greatest feeling in the world.

So about the nerves... I know being far from home is something very scary! I live in Miami, too. Plus, my family and I are very close to my family. The great thing is: Airtran has tickets as cheap as $55 one way!! I know its hard to leave home, but college is a BLAST. Everyone's on the same boat, so you bond veryyyy quickly. You'll have a new Hopkins family.  ( I love my friends at Hopkins. WE seriously are a family. We even have family dinners together. They pick me up from the airport when I come home and everything.. It's amazing)

So don't be scared! More like... get ready for the time of your life.

If you have any specific questions regarding "advice and tips" let me know. I'd love to help you with whatever I can! Check out my blog, it might help!

Laura Grau
Class of 2016
Read my awesome blog!

~Sandy Vanessa Ruiz

Deeemy

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 08:39 AM »
Cool! Thanks for being awesome. :)
Hopefully I'll get to meet you in the fall!

alexandratw8

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Hi Laura!

I read your comments from before and it seems like you are really in love with Johns Hopkins :)  In your first thread, you commented how you were not sure if going to a university in the U.S would be a good choice for you and I can really relate to this because I am from Guatemala and thought about the same thing when i first came to the states. I am currently studying in North Carolina and I am thinking about transferring to JH so I was wondering if you could help me with some questions I have! First, are students inclusive with international students? Also, do you know if there is a large population of latins (born in Latin America) in JH? How has your experience been as an international there?

Thanks very much!

JHU_LauraG

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:26 AM »
Hi Alexandra,

You're right: I am in love with JHU.

About being international...
Hopkins is very diverse. When you're on campus, you hear a great variety of different languages and accents. Just in my group of friends there are people who speak spanish, english, german, italian, french, and latin. You will not have a problem fitting in. It's very easy to approach new people, especially in classes and extracurriculars. All you have to do is say hello. Hopkins students are very inclusive with international students. Literally most of the people I know are from all over the world.

At first, when I came to Hopkins I thought there weren't any Latinos here. However, I went to an OLE meeting (Organización Latina Estudiantil) and I met so many latinos. I mean, being here isn't like being back at home where you can always be talking in spanish, but there are latinos (and latino parties).

I actually thought I would have a problem being here because I would miss that latino-warmth, but it didn't take me long to realize that this is an opportunity to learn about other cultures. I LOVE being here. I love my friends. I love everything about it here. Being latina only makes this experience so much more special because I appreciate and cherish all the opportunities I have here. Plus, I get to teach people how to dance salsa and merengue.

:) Suerte con tu decisión.
Si vienes a Hopkins, avisame y te presento a otros latinos.

Laura Grau
Class of 2016
Read my awesome blog!

~Sandy Vanessa Ruiz

young_na97

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 11:39 AM »
Hi Laura,

when I read that you were trilingual, a light bulb went BING inside my head! :) I'm currently a freshman in high school and I am trilingual as well! I can speak English, German, and Korean! Both of my parents are Korean, but I was born and grew up in Germany for 11 years. In fifth grade I moved to the US.

In high school I'm taking German 2 as of now (There is German 1, German 2, German 3, German 4, and AP German). My teacher recommended me to skip German 3 and move up to German 4 in my sophomore year. None of my other classmates are doing this with their language courses, instead most of them will be taking a language level 3 class next year. Do YOU think Hopkins would look at this? By the way, I'm interested in some major related to science -- such as neuroscience/biology. I would consider German as a minor, or at least as one of my classes once I get into college.

Being raised in Europe has allowed me to not only explore Germany, but also visit France, Austria, Switzerland, and Norway. In my opinion, I think this was a truly great experience for me. What do you think?

JHU is one of my dream colleges. I love it so much. The academic rigor and involvement is just amazing -- and I love how Hopkins is in a city like Baltimore.

Please give me your opinion on what you think of my cultural experiences!

JHU_LauraG

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 02:04 PM »
Hi!

I am glad that you wrote on my forum! I love seeing people who are just as enthusiastic about their culture as I am. Being Colombian and German and living in the US has made me the person I am today. I definitely think you should take German. Take it at a level that is appropriate to what you know. Wenn der Unterricht einfach ist, lernst du nichts. Challenge yourself. Do something that you will learn from!!

As for classes at college, I encourage you to explore all your areas of interest. I took German by mere impulse, and now, I am actually considering changing my major to German. That's how much I've loved my German classes!!

Viel Glück damit!

Laura
Laura Grau
Class of 2016
Read my awesome blog!

~Sandy Vanessa Ruiz

deeksham97

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 01:17 PM »
Hi Laura,

I am Indian, but I live in Dubai and am a junior in high school. JHU is one of my dream colleges and I want to major in Biomedical Engineering after which I want to attend medical school.

I have done a lot of research and all websites mention that it is difficult for international students to gain admission to us medical schools. I really want you advise on whether or not this is true, as being an international student you must have experience regarding this

As for my grades in high school, they are excellent and I have quite a number of extra curricular activities and volunteer experience. My SAT score was 2100.

I really want your advise about medical education in the US as an international student as I love medicine and want to study in the best schools.

JHU_LauraG

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 07:47 PM »
Hey!

I am not exactly sure how medical schools deal with international students. I suggest you talk directly to medical school admissions offices. They would be a lot more knowledgeable about their own admissions policies, and they can assure you as to what you've read on the internet is true!

Pre-Med at Hopkins is pretty great. From the start of Freshman year, they make sure to steer you in the proper direction, as to which classes to take and what activities you should have for when you apply to medical school. Check out the Pre-Professional Advising Page: http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/index.html

Hope this helps!
Laura Grau
Class of 2016
Read my awesome blog!

~Sandy Vanessa Ruiz